What's new

Where'd You Get Your Username?

If you have ever flown in a B-17, you would understand. If not, google it and you'll see....
1599617657071.jpeg

I flew the E-3 Sentry in the Air Force. Ironically, nobody ever referred to the plane as Sentry. The plane was based on a Boeing 707-320 airframe and flew the airborne warning and control system (AWACS) mission. One of the few things in life that I am absolutely sure of is that the Boeing 707 is the greatest airplane of

all time.72CFF3D1-4A37-48EC-89AC-4C45BB2A1E14.jpegA0CC39A1-0787-48B7-8A40-9477BB0C91B2.jpeg6E852B04-588B-4B1E-8B45-1E94A0B4D2AC.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I flew the E-3 Sentry in the Air Force. Ironically, nobody ever referred to the plane as Sentry. The plane was based on a Boeing 707-320 airframe and flew the airborne command and control system (AWACS) mission. One of the few things in life that I am absolutely sure of is that the Boeing 707 is the greatest airplane of

all time.View attachment 1154126View attachment 1154127View attachment 1154128
One of my friends works in the AF Life Cycle Management Ctr at Wright-Patt AFB here in Dayton. A couple years ago all he talked about was something he was involved in called "DRAGON," which was some sort of modification to the cockpit avionics for the E3 sentry, but I've just told you everything I know about it. Everyone in my neighborhood either works at the AFB, at one of the 2 or 3 colleges & universities near Dayton, or at the Miami Valley Hospital. Every other business or industry has left Dayton.

One of my friends works in the AF Life Cycle Management Ctr at Wright-Patt AFB here in Dayton. A couple years ago all he talked about was something he was involved in called "DRAGON," which was some sort of modification to the cockpit avionics for the E3 sentry, but I've just told you everything I know about it. Everyone in my neighborhood either works at the AFB, at one of the 2 or 3 colleges & universities near Dayton, or at the Miami Valley Hospital. Every other business or industry has left Dayton.
Dragon was the future when I retired.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dragon was the future when I retired.
I know a guy who was a Brigadier General at WPAFB in charge of the Aeronautical Systems Ctr. When he retired he was hired at the University of Dayton. His first week on the job, before classes began, he arrived a couple minutes late to a dept meeting. As he tried to get settled, he said to the dept chair "This is going to take some getting used to." The chair asked what he meant. He replied "Well at my last job if I showed up at a meeting 10 minutes late everyone in the room jumped to their feet and said 'Good morning, General!'"

Last edited:
I know a guy who was a Brigadier General at WPAFB in charge of the Aeronautical Systems Ctr. When he retired he was hired at the University of Dayton. His first week on the job, before classes began, he arrived a couple minutes late to a dept meeting. As he tried to get settled, he said to the dept chair "This is going to take some getting used to." The chair asked what he meant. He replied "Well at my last job if I showed up at a meeting 10 minutes late everyone in the room jumped to their feet and said 'Good morning, General!'"
That was one of the things that took some getting used to. That 5:00 meant between 5:00 and 5:15. I had to break the habit of it meaning between 4:30 and 4:45. I still haven't broken it yet after almost 17 years. Now it's 15-20 minutes in the car "getting my mind right".

Hydguy: Hydraulics guy
Was originally a hydraulics/pneumatics on Harriers when I got my MOS in the Marine Corps. Later, we combined with the structures guys and became Airframes. So when I finally started using online forums, starting around 2001, I made my username Hydguy.

The big problem I have with my username is that a lot of Indians (from India) try and sign up on Indian dating sites and think that being from the Hyderbald area makes them Hydguy, so my gmail gets a lot of garbage from that.

I prefer old school, busy buzzy, long growing season 'herb' to the new fangled, generic tasting, plow you into the couch, ho-hum, sleepy head fast to finish stuff all the kids these days grow and think is 'fire'...

There's a long (boooooooooring) story about how it came to be a nick name many years ago but, in short, Wogus is a butchered/pun-ified version of "Pollywog" (my first name is Paul). It all goes back to my days in the Navy and involves an excruciatingly cute red head.

There's a long (boooooooooring) story about how it came to be a nick name many years ago but, in short, Wogus is a butchered/pun-ified version of "Pollywog" (my first name is Paul). It all goes back to my days in the Navy and involves an excruciatingly cute red head.
well, you know, the written word is the perfect way to tell a loooooong story. Have at it!

My user name was my nickname in football and was taken from the nickname of a famous football player at the time. Also I have used it as my video game "gamertag" ever since.

Top Bottom