What's new

Where'd You Get Your Username?

I would have thought you were a monster truck fan

Everyone does. There was a time I was annoyed that everyone thinks of the monster truck. After a while I decided to look into it and turns out monster trucks are awesome. Also I forgot to mention "78" was my football number and not my birth year!

I used to work on an ATR-72, which is a turboprop. Most airliners have an APU which is a turbine engine (usually inside the tail somewhere) that provides electricity and air conditioning when the main engines aren't running. The ATR doesn't have an APU. Instead, you keep the right engine running the whole time (until you get plugged in at the gate). This is dangerous because of the propeller spinning, so they put a brake on the propeller to stop it from spinning while the motor was running. That configuration (motor running, propeller brake on) was called "hotel mode".

I used to work on an ATR-72, which is a turboprop. Most airliners have an APU which is a turbine engine (usually inside the tail somewhere) that provides electricity and air conditioning when the main engines aren't running. The ATR doesn't have an APU. Instead, you keep the right engine running the whole time (until you get plugged in at the gate). This is dangerous because of the propeller spinning, so they put a brake on the propeller to stop it from spinning while the motor was running. That configuration (motor running, propeller brake on) was called "hotel mode".

My Father-in-law was a helicopter pilot in the marine core and always told me his best advice for any pilot was "make friends with the mechanics".

My Father-in-law was a helicopter pilot in the marine core and always told me his best advice for any pilot was "make friends with the mechanics".

What squadron, and what time frame?
When we deployed on LHA/LHDs on MEU dets, the Air Combat Element was a composite squadron of all air assets.
The HMM (at the time I was in it was the CH-46, now it's the Osprey) was the core, and the HMH (CH-53), HMLA (Cobras and Hueys) and the VMA (Harriers and now the F-35) were attached to them.
I did my 2 MEUs with HMM's 263 and 264 in '95 and '98.

What squadron, and what time frame?
When we deployed on LHA/LHDs on MEU dets, the Air Combat Element was a composite squadron of all air assets.
The HMM (at the time I was in it was the CH-46, now it's the Osprey) was the core, and the HMH (CH-53), HMLA (Cobras and Hueys) and the VMA (Harriers and now the F-35) were attached to them.
I did my 2 MEUs with HMM's 263 and 264 in '95 and '98.

He flew Cobras for the Marine Corps in the 70s and eventually moved to Blackhawks. I will ask him for more info.

I was a tank mechanic in the army for two wars and a dozen or so war games. Your FiL knew that mechanics would "acquire" anything that wasn't nailed down. And it it was nailed down, we'd take the nails out of spite.

What? It was left unsecured, so we secured it.

Top Bottom