What's new

Where Were you in ‘62?

I was in first grade, Mrs. Thompson's class.
I remember that I wanted to shave,my mom told me to get the whip cream and let the cat lick it off.
Funny thing is we didn't have a cat :)
+1 - haha, got a good laugh out of that!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

In 1962 I had been shaving for about six years. My two razors were the FB and Slim. The blades were Gillette Blues. My brush was a no-name badger brush purchased from a Rexall pharmacy. My soap was a no-name soap that came in the form of soap chips that my father gave me. My AS was WH plus some drug store aftershaves.

Something like this, as I recall...

D0ED0CB1-FF5D-4D89-A2C2-B8C725598B68.jpeg

'63 - Started with a Gillette Slim w blades, (later Wilkinson Sword blades) Williams soap, boar brush Aqua Velva or Old Spice After Shave, started using Old Spice soap

Single cutter Remington electric. I had no good instruction on shaving and tore my face up using Gillette. Remember, No Pressure? No one explained that to me. Didn’t get back to wet shaving until last year.

Wasn’t alive yet.

Again, me neither. But the good thing about being Generation X is that you have one foot planted in the Baby Boom Generation and one foot planted in your own, which is mostly 80s stuff and some 70s stuff

So you get the Watergate jokes. You can drop a "Dr. Strangelove" line or reference. You know how lame it is for a bunch of people to gather on a hillside and sing about liking to buy the world a Coke in perfect harmony. And you can joke about Schneider's keychain on "One Day at a Time" and know things about Mel's diner.

Millennials? They know none of these things.

Again, me neither. But the good thing about being Generation X is that you have one foot planted in the Baby Boom Generation and one foot planted in your own, which is mostly 80s stuff and some 70s stuff

So you get the Watergate jokes. You can drop a "Dr. Strangelove" line or reference. You know how lame it is for a bunch of people to gather on a hillside and sing about liking to buy the world a Coke in perfect harmony. And you can joke about Schneider's keychain on "One Day at a Time" and know things about Mel's diner.

Millennials? They know none of these things.

Right on the cusp.

Born in 1979. Grew up watching Knight Rider, the A-Team and Three’s company. Carol Burnett and Tim Conway (rest in peace) were a regular occurrence on our manual channel change television before remote controls took over.

I’m young enough to live in an ever changing technological world, while being able to appreciate the days of glass soda pop bottles, penny candies and record players.

Brad

My sister and I have never laughed out loud at anything on tv as a sketch we watched on The Carroll Burnett Show back in the day. It was one of the funniest things I ever saw.

And you left out The Dukes if Hazzard, which you obviously watched on Friday night. It came in just before Dallas. I always watched the opening theme song of Dallas.

Last edited:
My sister and I have never laughed out loud at anything on tv as a sketch we watched on The Carroll Burnett Show back in the day. It was one of the funniest things I ever saw.

And you left out The Dukes if Hazzard, which you obviously watched on Friday night. It came in just before Dallas. I always watched the opening theme song of Dallas.

Indeed, always enjoyed Bo, Luke and Boss Hogg.

In 1962, still going to elementary school, and wondering if I should be concerned about the Cuban Missile Crisis.
In late '70s, I had a Gillette Super 109, a blue and white painted wooden handle no-name boar brush, Wilkinson Sword blades, and Williams Mug soap.
The killer is that I'm pretty sure I still have that Super 109, but I'd have to turn the house upside down to look for it.

Was 5, but recall watching my dad shave with a Gillette TTO maybe a super-speed? and ONLY EVER Gillette blades, he wouldn't us anything else. However, if he was out of his usual shaving stick soap he'd grab anything he could get his hands on - Imperial Leather bath soap usually, the one with the paper sticker on it. His brush was an ivory and red coloured Ever-Ready i think, had a screw-out base which I often wondered 'why' about.
I remember the sound most of all, my little brother said it sounded like cutting straw, he did have and still has a tough old beard. Used to rub it on us baby skinned boys for FUN!!!

I graduated from High School in January of 62. It is hard to pin it down that far back but I started with a Fat Boy about two years earlier using Whatever blade was cheapest. I liked Gillette Blues (I don't think stainless had been introduced yet). I had an Old Spice mug with Old Spice or Williams soap. Although I had an Erskine brush it was not in its best form so I also had what is equivalent to today's VDH cheap boar. Usually followed up with Old Spice aftershave. Later I used a Black Beauty Slim and went with stainless blades shortly after they were introduced.

In 1962, I didn’t exist, and neither did my mom. I have been listening to history podcast and so much was going during that time, it’s interesting to hear others experiences during that time. Cool topic.

Top Bottom