What's new

Where to source leather for a DIY’er attempting to make his first strop.

Hello all,
Despite my best efforts I haven’t been able to find a source to get reasonable strop leather from without buying an entire cowhide. I’m located in the Los Angele, Ca area. Any ideas fellas? Thanks a bunch!

I purchased a strop from @Slash McCoy. It is a far better strop than the "poor man's strop" I started out with. It is about 3" wide and has solid hardware on each end. I tagged Slash in case he can provide some clarification. I don't have a lot of experience with strops, but this one has been a great performer and is very affordable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hello all,
Despite my best efforts I haven’t been able to find a source to get reasonable strop leather from without buying an entire cowhide. I’m located in the Los Angele, Ca area. Any ideas fellas? Thanks a bunch!
I have never seen a whole cow hide for sale. Usually a side or a double shoulder yoke is the biggest piece you can get. Try McMaster-Carr for 3" strips of veg tanned cow or steer hide. Or Tandy. Or Springfield Leather. You can use it as is, or you can soak it and rub (lots of pressure) with a bottle as it dries, then give it a little neats foot oil when it is nearly dry, and keep rubbing it occasionally until completely dry. Let it hang a few weeks to distribute the oil good. Don't apply too much. Then attach your end hardware and if desired you can bevel the edges with a skiving knife but it isn't really necessary. Don't use two chicago screws. Use 3, at each end.

I purchased a strop from @Slash McCoy. It is a far better strop than the "poor man's strop" I started out with. It is about 3" wide and has solid hardware on each end. I tagged Slash in case he can provide some clarification. I don't have a lot of experience with strops, but this one has been a great performer and is very affordable.

Thanks Lightcs1776 that’s good to know. I’d much prefer a recommended source over anything else. I actually want to attempt building it myself though. If that fails, I’ll know where to look.

Thanks Lightcs1776 that’s good to know. I’d much prefer a recommended source over anything else. I actually want to attempt building it myself though. If that fails, I’ll know where to look.
Slash is not one who keeps things to himself. He has been very generous in sharing his knowledge I encourage you to connect with him and learn from his experience. He is a class act.

I have never seen a whole cow hide for sale. Usually a side or a double shoulder yoke is the biggest piece you can get. Try McMaster-Carr for 3" strips of veg tanned cow or steer hide. Or Tandy. Or Springfield Leather. You can use it as is, or you can soak it and rub (lots of pressure) with a bottle as it dries, then give it a little neats foot oil when it is nearly dry, and keep rubbing it occasionally until completely dry. Let it hang a few weeks to distribute the oil good. Don't apply too much. Then attach your end hardware and if desired you can bevel the edges with a skiving knife but it isn't really necessary. Don't use two chicago screws. Use 3, at each end.
Yes, that’s what I meant but overly simplified when I said whole cow. Is there a type of leather that responds better to soaking, rubbing, drying, and oiling? Personally, with the limited time I have, I’d rather buy a piece of leather I can use as is after applying neat’s foot, using a skiving knife, and adding Chicago screws. Would it be possible to come out with a passable strop That way or should I go all the way or go home...or buy an already completed strop?

Thanks!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yes, that’s what I meant but overly simplified when I said whole cow. Is there a type of leather that responds better to soaking, rubbing, drying, and oiling? Personally, with the limited time I have, I’d rather buy a piece of leather I can use as is after applying neat’s foot, using a skiving knife, and adding Chicago screws. Would it be possible to come out with a passable strop That way or should I go all the way or go home...or buy an already completed strop?

Thanks!
You can use a decent piece of veg tanned cowhide as is, with no treatment. It will still be a usable strop. I have made a lot like that, sold them or gave them away. And the cow/steer hide does respond well to treatment if you want to go that way.

Horse hide is considered a bit better, and the most prized leather for strops is horse shell cordovan. Shell is very expensive, though.

A lot of entry level and intermediate strops are made with veg tanned cow or steer hide. It works okay and is cheap.

You can use a decent piece of veg tanned cowhide as is, with no treatment. It will still be a usable strop. I have made a lot like that, sold them or gave them away. And the cow/steer hide does respond well to treatment if you want to go that way.

Horse hide is considered a bit better, and the most prized leather for strops is horse shell cordovan. Shell is very expensive, though.

A lot of entry level and intermediate strops are made with veg tanned cow or steer hide. It works okay and is cheap.
Great to hear, thanks!

:smile: Update: Ok! I've sourced some pretty good quality leather from Amazon, believe it or not. A veg tanned strip of 9-10oz full grain leather measuring 3"x55". Only about 1/2 of the leather strap I bought can be used for strop making due to imperfections in the leather. This is fine since since it will be my first time leather working and all of the leather that won't go directly into the strop will be for trial and error, practice, etc. There is still plenty left for my purposes.

I'm now on to procuring decent tools on a budget. I've recently learned that brands will use different measurements for their bevel making tools making the typical 1-4 numbering system nominal at best.

So, if I'm using 3.6mm - 4mm thick leather, should I be using a 4mm beveler?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the encouragement!

Edge Beveler I'm considering
Leather I got on Amazon

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I use Osborne #1 bevelers and they work well all the way down to about 5oz leather before the edge of the tool rubs the table and prevents them from working. You can always line the leather up to the very edge of a table if trying to bevel thinner stock and let the tool extend below the edge.

Beveling is not crucial to making a strop as some maker do leave a square edge and you can just burnish it rounded a bit. I only bevel the back edge for a neater appearance and burnish/round the front edge to reduce the chance of a blade catching on the hard corner.

Leather can be hit or miss wherever you buy it. I occasionally get entire horse buts I cannot make anything from and pass over complete steer sides as unusable. Small flaws can still work on a strop but just may not look as nice. I give them a test and if I can feel the flaw while stropping, for the most part it is then not usable. If it just looks a little ugly it works a a beginner or practice strop rather than one of my good strops.

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Yeah I would not recommend beveling a strop until you have a bit of practice. It's not straightforward from my experience playing around with a set of them on some junk leather and a couple restore jobs on strops this past month. It's not automatic to find the correct position, the tool can easily drift, it's not apparent if you've done it right and can start burnishing if you aren't familiar with the process after doing it. Just in general, even after a bunch of practice and attempts, I'm still not getting results any better (and most often worst in my opinion) than just skipping right to burnishing without using the beveler.

Generally it's a technique I think is best left to guys who've practiced it and know what they're doing with leather. I've made a few strops now and I avoided the beveler tool and they work just fine.

Agree with slice that you can do more damage than good if not done right. One long clean cut is my aim each time. I actually tend to use the smallest beveler I can that gets a good grab. My only purpose is to knock off the corner and burnishing does the rest. I don’t want any huge cut. These are all small touches - not huge surgery.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Is that not Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride? I believe it is...Prepare to die!!

He’s making a play on the PB line ‘You keep using that word. I do not think that it means what you think it does.’

Top Bottom