What's new

Where to purchase 18mm knots?

Hello,

I was wondering where folks purchase the smaller knots like 18mm, besides from The Golden Nib? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at the three other sources I have bought from and they don't have an 18mm. If you can't find an 18mm. You could actually increase the cup size or reduce a 20mm knot. Also you could check ali express. They have a huge selection although I have no personal experience with buying from there.

I guess knot diameter is a YMMV thing, just like most things in wet shaving. Personally, I find 24-26 mm to be the sweet spot, but that is my preference.

I do not think I have seen a brush or knot with 18mm diameter. Maggards Razors offers both synthetic and badger knots with 20 mm diameter, but not 18 mm.

Do you have sufficient room to drill out the handle to 21 mm diameter? That is the minimum diameter hole needed for a 20mm knot.

I guess knot diameter is a YMMV thing, just like most things in wet shaving. Personally, I find 24-26 mm to be the sweet spot, but that is my preference.

I do not think I have seen a brush or knot with 18mm diameter. Maggards Razors offers both synthetic and badger knots with 20 mm diameter, but not 18 mm.

Do you have sufficient room to drill out the handle to 21 mm diameter? That is the minimum diameter hole needed for a 20mm knot.

The less expensive English shaving brushes commonly come in 18mm and 19mm sizes.
I have a vintage US travel brush in an 18. Standard vintage US brushes are 20mm.

I don't know about anyone else but personally I don't care to widen knot holes in vintage brushes.

The less expensive English shaving brushes commonly come in 18mm and 19mm sizes.
I have a vintage US travel brush in an 18. Standard vintage US brushes are 20mm.

I don't know about anyone else but personally I don't care to widen knot holes in vintage brushes.

I can understand you're not wanting to drill out a vintage brush.

Perhaps you can purchase an inexpensive brush with 18mm knot and transfer the knot to your vintage handle.

Good luck with your search.

Top Bottom