What's new

Where to go from Polo Green?

I've been wearing this almost exclusively for 7 years now. I love it and will probably end up just getting another bottle when I finish this one (any day now)...but out of curiosity, is there anything similar some of you might recommend trying?

We can always recommend trying more scents around here ;-)

Off the top of my head:

L'Artisan Fou d'absinthe strikes me as a softer, more refined take on Polo Green

Tom Ford Italian Cypress more refined, spicier take on Polo Green

Different but worth a try if you like Polo Green:

Caron Yatagan: not built around Evergreen scent this one is dry, savory desert herbs. Powerful projection like Polo Green

Frank Los Angeles No 2 opens with a citrusy, green assertiveness that slowly transforms into an herbal/boozy/coniferous drydown that I love. More complex than Polo Green.

If you're interested in staying in the same realm ('70s/'80s, manly), but a bit different, consider Tuscany Per Uomo. Part of the Aramis collection, it's another one of those popular men's scents that defines an era, although it's probably not as iconic as Polo.

Frank Los Angeles No 2 opens with a citrusy, green assertiveness that slowly transforms into an herbal/boozy/coniferous drydown that I love. More complex than Polo Green.

Frank LA 2 is nothing like Polo Green, it is a rich boozy orange scent! Amazing stuff, however.

If it's pine you're after, try Cape Heartache and Norne. More expensive, but you can buy samples from each indie vendor. There's also Pino Sylvestre, which is supposed to be pine, but I don't get it.

I myself enjoy Polo and others of its ilk; for what it's worth, amongst those I enjoy that I would regard as "similar":

Quorum
Yatagan
Montana Red
Bogart (quill)
Tsar
Chevignon (very similar to Polo)

If it's pine you're after, try Cape Heartache and Norne. More expensive, but you can buy samples from each indie vendor. There's also Pino Sylvestre, which is supposed to be pine, but I don't get it.

IMO Cape Heartache is not even the same planet of a scent, although having previously stated my disdain for Polo Green, I think Cape Heartache is one of the best niche scents I have and have tried. But it's a resinous strawberry and (light) woods scent.

Easy for me to spend your money, but I'll recommend an upgrade to Tom Ford Italian Cypress. It's sort of like a high end version of Polo.

It smells similar enough that it will feel familiar, but it is different enough that you'll feel like you have a new scent. It is quite nice.

Buy a sample and see what you think. Looks like you're in Dallas area so I'm sure Nieman or Saks will carry it.

Last edited:
Where does one acquire Tom Ford samples, if there are no local B&M stores that carry the brand? There are a few Ford scents I'm interested in trying (tobacco vanille, for instance), but given that the prices rival Creed, I surely will not be buying full sizes blind.

Where does one acquire Tom Ford samples, if there are no local B&M stores that carry the brand? There are a few Ford scents I'm interested in trying (tobacco vanille, for instance), but given that the prices rival Creed, I surely will not be buying full sizes blind.

Perfumed Court has Tom Ford.

IMO Cape Heartache is not even the same planet of a scent, although having previously stated my disdain for Polo Green, I think Cape Heartache is one of the best niche scents I have and have tried. But it's a resinous strawberry and (light) woods scent.

I'm glad you enjoy Cape Heartache. I do, too. But I couldn't let your comment pass without a correction, lest you leave people with the wrong impression of what that frag smells like. It defies belief that you don't pick up pine in this fragrance. Yes, there's a bit of the strawberry, but pine is the dominant note. The creator himself writes about "needles on the forest floor," and he lists the notes, in order, as "Douglas Fir, Pine Resin, Western Hemlock, Vanilla Leaf, Strawberry, Old Growth, Mountain Fog." It is the shared pine note that led me to lump Cape Heartache with Polo and Norne. Now, if you mean that Polo and Cape Heartache are in different worlds quality-wise, then I agree.

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoy Cape Heartache. I do, too. But I couldn't let your comment pass without a correction, lest you leave people with the wrong impression of what that frag smells like. It defies belief that you don't pick up pine in this fragrance. Yes, there's a bit of the strawberry, but pine is the dominant note. The creator himself writes about "needles on the forest floor," and he lists the notes, in order, as "Douglas Fir, Pine Resin, Western Hemlock, Vanilla Leaf, Strawberry, Old Growth, Mountain Fog." It is the shared pine note that led me to lump Cape Heartache with Polo and Norne. Now, if you mean that Polo and Cape Heartache are in different worlds quality-wise, then I agree.

Thanks for your feedback. In reviewing the note list and sitting here with the bottle up against my nose, I believe I may have overlooked the fact that the resinous smell that I was observing as more of an incense is probably more the "pine resin" that is listed. That being the case, the resinous note (which is superb), saying that it is the Pine definitely is front and center initially. However, from my experience with this, the resinous note calms down and strawberry gets brought up to the front over time.

The reason that I separate Polo and Cape Heartache so distinctly is that I absolutely love Cape Heartache and it is one of my very best frags and I cannot stand Polo (to the point that I traded off a vintage bottle of it). Also, I think the sweetness that comes through is further separating my identification of the 2 as being in the same vane.

Top Bottom