What's new

Where to get the metal ring for brush

I'm looking for any source of the metal rings for mounting the knots in the handle. Old manufacturers of brushes used to add a kind of metal ring giving the brush elegant finish. Can you suggest any source of such rings (diameter 24 and 28mm)?

Cheap Omega boar brushes. Cut them out. There used to be a website that sold the metal baskets/rings, but I can't remember where. Maybe ask @Rudy Vey?

I remembered! 20mm only though.
I would also contact The Golden Nib - https://thegoldennib.com/ and see if he can't point you in the right direction. Contact info including phone number is on their website.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I'm looking for any source of the metal rings for mounting the knots in the handle. Old manufacturers of brushes used to add a kind of metal ring giving the brush elegant finish. Can you suggest any source of such rings (diameter 24 and 28mm)?
In old brushes these "rings" might have been metal, nowadays only Semogue uses metal as far as I know.
This ring as a matter of fact in not a ring, but the crimped (or rolled over) upper end of a cup the knots are set in.
In the cheaper boars this is chrome plated plastic "ring".
I can only provide a picture of some Muehle Synthetic knots. These are set into a plastic cup and some have the ring other not.
The reason for these kind of knot configuration is the - as far as I think - that knots can be produced and set into different handle, also the size is always fixed to the cup the knot is set into. Knots that do not have the cup can be vary a bit in their size.

Muehle STF 21 and 23 mm.jpg

I look for something like that. Obviously this photo does not show any piece of shaving brush. Next photo shows exactly what some makers apply.
E9CB721C-0221-40EF-A2B5-C7B556293D77.png
image.jpg
image.jpg

Have you considered making your own? If you have the equipment it would be very simple. All you need is a basic drill press and a mandrel and a handful of aluminum washers. You could probably get away with even less equipment than that, though it would take longer to manufacture.

Look up "making rings from coins" to see videos on the technique used.

A more primitive method involves a drill and using a spoon as a hammer.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Have one made from Stainless Steel or Titanium, make sure the machinist knows what you need. Adjust size to knot and handle, so you get a tight fit.

Look for beaded brass/nickel collars. They're on ebay and (walking)stick making websites. You can get various diameters (measured on the inside). The deal is they're beaded (rolled) on both ends so you can saw them in half and have two finishing collars for your projects. One place is in the UK. It's Rerrick Stick Making Supplies. They have those collars in Brass, Sterling Silver, Copper and Nickel with various inside diameters.

If you're looking for a ferrule, I believe Lee Valley also has them, but they can be fashioned from pipe of whatever material you choose. I've used everything from brass nuts to pvc pipe.
1677183692073.png

Top Bottom