What's new

Where to get superb quality replacement knots?

Gents, I am considering trying on a brush restauration - so where does one go to get a high quality replacement knot?

I tried to buy a replacement knot from Simpsons (synthetic) but they don’t sell replacements separately.

I will not buy from China, only from western hemisphere.

Thanks for any pointers.

Gents, I am considering trying on a brush restauration - so where does one go to get a high quality replacement knot?

I tried to buy a replacement knot from Simpsons (synthetic) but they don’t sell replacements separately.

Thanks for any pointers.

AFAIK a few places like ApShaveCo seem to source their knots from China but made to their specs, I think Yaqi.

But the specs are higher than the ones Yaqi sell.

Again I think ShaveMac, Muhle synth knots are made in Europe. I think you can buy a knot on it's own from ShaveMac though, might be worth sending them an email.

AFAIK a few places like ApShaveCo seem to source their knots from China but made to their specs, I think Yaqi.

But the specs are higher than the ones Yaqi sell.

Again I think ShaveMac, Muhle synth knots are made in Europe. I think you can buy a knot on it's own from ShaveMac though, might be worth sending them an email.

Thanks. This was what I meant, sorry for being imprecise. I am looking for Western made knots. I did not know that Shavemac made/sold synthetics. Will check!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think you can order a knot only, to your exact specifications, by using the online Shavemac configurator. I would be surprised if you can buy any natural knot which is not sourced in China. Even 'European Badger' refers I understand to the type of badger rather than its country of origin and that most is again from China. I could be very wrong here. 👍

I have had great success with Whipped Dog.

I’ve bought from WD and TGN. I assume they’re both reselling Chinese knots.

I assume unless the vendor isn’t selling their own hand tied knots, or another company’s hand tied knots, then they’re reselling Chinese knots.

I almost think simpsons might get their synthetic fiber from china, but not sure, do simpsons make their own synthetic fiber, I know they source their badger hair from china? I assume mostly everything is chinese besides maybe some ap shave co. synthetic knots, shavemac and I read muhle makes their own STF knots.

Last edited:
Shavemac (I really like D01), easy and excellent. Declaration Grooming knots are nice but large - they will custom make a knot for your handle but I think only 24 mm or larger. I find the B3 hair is excellent - but I do like some scrub. Probably ridiculous, but Lee Sabini used to make good knots. I’ve no idea if he’s still active, he was extremely aloof even when he was actively selling stuff.

They are probably all Chinese sourced hair but selected and knotted elsewhere.

Thanks for any pointers.
Peter, I will second what others have mentioned, Shavemac and specifically for you, the Silvertip 2 band. It is a beautifully soft, but dense enough brush, that you know it's on your face. A 2 to 1 ratio is a nice size (24m knot would be set to 48m loft). It is similar to the knot in your Ever Ready 200, but even softer with a bit less backbone. Good luck on the restoration!

I think you can order a knot only, to your exact specifications, by using the online Shavemac configurator. I would be surprised if you can buy any natural knot which is not sourced in China. Even 'European Badger' refers I understand to the type of badger rather than its country of origin and that most is again from China. I could be very wrong here. 👍

+2! Shavemac knots are extremely high-quality IME! I have 5 in rotation!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Top Bottom