What's new

Where to get an SR honed, and how much to expect to pay?

I'll ask here since this is kind of a newbish type question. Are there "sanctioned" (for lack of a better term) members here who will hone a straight razor? And how much should I expect to pay?

I am not at that stage yet, as I want to try and resurrect a couple of SRs with sharpening paste. But in my mind, I think it might be more cost effective and time efficient to pay for honing, as opposed to purchasing stones and going through the honing learning curve. (If I had more free time on my hand, maybe it would be a different story.)

Thanks! As I always get good and diversified advice here.

I just got mine back from doc226. Awesome work. About 20 bucks plus shipping. I am learning the honing process and wanted to get one done professionally to compare my work. Highly recommend him.

I just got mine back from doc226. Awesome work. About 20 bucks plus shipping. I am learning the honing process and wanted to get one done professionally to compare my work. Highly recommend him.
Thanks for the information!
About $20-$25 for a basic honing that does not need edge correction
Thanks! I will see how my sharpening paste goes...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I believe that @Slash McCoy doesn't take in outside honing but no harm in asking.

As for using paste, I don't believe it is good to use as a honing medium. Pastes are more for refining/maintaining an edge that has already been properly honed.

My preference for refining/maintaining an edge is to use diamond pasted balsa strops.

Thanks for the information!

Thanks! I will see how my sharpening paste goes...

Paste will work up to a certain point but the bevel has to be there or it’s not going to make a difference, my suggestion is ensure there are no issues with the edge like chips or dings then you can you a slurried 4k to set a solid bevel then depending on what paste you have you can go from there.

Top Bottom