What's new

Where to get a watch serviced

I have a humble Elgin I picked up for $90.00 at a garage sale. It will never be worth much but I liked the look of it and now I want to get it serviced. Do you have a place you would recommend? What would be the rough year it was made? 1940's?

IMG_4871.jpeg

I have a humble Elgin I picked up for $90.00 at a garage sale. It will never be worth much but I liked the look of it and now I want to get it serviced. Do you have a place you would recommend? What would be the rough year it was made? 1940's?

View attachment 1289769
Do you know what kind of movement it is? If it’s a lever pin than servicing it will cost you a pretty penny but it will be a gamble if it improves the accuracy.

Nice looking watch! You may be able to get some information on the watch from this site. Though it looks like everything is based on the movement serial number, so you'd need to open the caseback.

Very helpful and thanks, I was able to get the back off with a pocket knife. There is a little lip on the cap. I tried by thumbnail but no luck. Serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1927, has 15 jewels. @Multum in parvo, are you able to tell me what type of movement it is?

IMG_4873.jpeg
IMG_4876.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Very helpful and thanks, I was able to get the back off with a pocket knife. There is a little lip on the cap. I tried by thumbnail but no luck. Serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1927, has 15 jewels. @Multum in parvo, are you able to tell me what type of movement it is?

View attachment 1289830View attachment 1289831
Its a manual wind watch. Not sure if you wanted to spend a lot of money on the service, and I do not know if they would work on it, but Superior Watch Service is super:
Had an IWC serviced there once and received excellent service.

Its a manual wind watch. Not sure if you wanted to spend a lot of money on the service, and I do not know if they would work on it, but Superior Watch Service is super:
Had an IWC serviced there once and received excellent service.

Many thanks Rudy. The watch does not have any sentimental value so it is not likely I'd put a lot into it. Good to have that as a resource.

To echo what others have said: that is a watch that a local watchmaker should be able to service with relative ease, particularly if all it needs is a lube/oil/adjust/polish so to speak.

I was recently speaking with a young watchmaker ( formally trained out of the swatch group affiliated school in Miami) who told me that parts availability/interchangeability for many older brands to include Hamilton and Bulova, is much better than one would think. As Elgin is of the same era, I would be cautiously optimistic that would be the case as well.

It is a wonderful looking watch. Having said that, a "tune up" with any parts to be replaced will likely be more than you paid for it.

This link has your watch dated from the late 20's (27/28)

A servicing of a watch like this looks to be 80ish pus shipping

Mark has done solid work for me and a number of friends on Bulovas, Omega and Rolex.

PS-Given the relative cleanliness inside the watch and overall appearance, it looks like it has been serviced before.

How is it running?

It's a beatiful watch and should run well once cleaned and oiled. I havent had many watches serviced so can't recommend anyone.

FWIW the crown is a replacement. Not a big deal at all. It is signed but with the later Elgin symbol from the 70's after Elgin closed and their brand was sold off.

Top Bottom