What's new

Where to find Boston Lead pointer Abrasive Refill Cups; item no. 1451

As the title indicates, I would like to know if and where I can purchase abrasive refill cups for a Boston Lead pointer I recently purchased.

Any point in the right direction will be most appreciated.

Tim

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have nothing sorry. I am in Australia though. Hopefully someone will be able to help you find what you are looking for.

They say necessity is the mother of invention. So too is being unsuccessful at finding what you are looking for on eBay. I actually came up with an idea of how to replace the sandpaper surface on the abrasive refill cup.

I simply took off the used-up sandpaper sheet from the cup using an Exacto knife and used it to cut a new piece of sandpaper. Then I applied some 3M spray adhesive to the back and reattached it to the drum.

20210308_114008.jpg

20210308_114056.jpg

20210308_172010.jpg

Now I am good to go putting a fine point on my mechanical pencils for the forseeable future given how easy it is to replace the sandpaper.

Tim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fantastic safe and diy there. When I saw this thread I thought what is that until I saw the picture. I had something like that but it’s lost. It was orange.

Yep, I was pleasantly surprised how easily I pulled of this little diy project of mine. Such projects usually cost me considerably more in money, time, effort, and anxiety than I initially anticipate.

Here is a picture of my Boston lead pointer with a Staedtler Mars Technico ready to be sharpened -

20210308_214139.jpg

Tim

They say necessity is the mother of invention. So too is being unsuccessful at finding what you are looking for on eBay. I actually came up with an idea of how to replace the sandpaper surface on the abrasive refill cup.

I simply took off the used-up sandpaper sheet from the cup using an Exacto knife and used it to cut a new piece of sandpaper. Then I applied some 3M spray adhesive to the back and reattached it to the drum.

View attachment 1233998
View attachment 1233999
View attachment 1234000

Now I am good to go putting a fine point on my mechanical pencils for the forseeable future given how easy it is to replace the sandpaper.

Tim
Forgive my ignorance....but, you sharpen mechanical pencils? I thought that was sort of the selling point of them was not having to sharpen???

Forgive my ignorance....but, you sharpen mechanical pencils? I thought that was sort of the selling point of them was not having to sharpen???

Depending on the thickness of the lead and its hardness level it is helpful to sharpen them occasionally. For instance, a thick (1 - 2 mm) lead with a hardness of HB, B, or 2B through 9xxB is going to leave a lot of graphite on the paper. That blunt tip is going to make for very thick-lined writing.

Tim

Top Bottom