What's new

Where to find a replacement Strop for Valet Razors?

43EB1F01-DA8E-44A5-84F2-06D6442503C6.jpeg

D7745F27-000D-463A-9687-FAAFB63FE530.jpeg

E8BFB145-67AB-46AB-9938-7F3242A3811C.jpeg

CA28EFCE-BF87-469E-90C6-3707356F1B26.jpeg

8DA2E72E-C40C-4F29-B13C-D845E6E64964.jpeg

Nice. My good one is most likely a newer version. It reads;
VALET
AutoStrop
STROP
Part of Model C Outfit (3 lines and all caps)
then the image of a much more simplified razor and the arching Made in USA on the handle like yours.

I'm still trying to get the one that came with my VB1 set softened enough to unroll. But the metal tab on it is different than yours and mine as it doesn't have the Signiture and President on the back.

Seems to me, if there was one thing AutoStrop President Gaisman liked, it was switching things up. If he could file a patent, so much the better.

I would be interested to know what a Model C Outfit was.

Seems to me, if there was one thing AutoStrop President Gaisman liked, it was switching things up. If he could file a patent, so much the better.

I would be interested to know what a Model C Outfit was.

I've seen the last version of the razor with strops that have Model E on them. So my guess that the model C was one of the razor mods. I could be wrong.

I saw some model C pictures, but not with enough detail to know the razor type. One post claimed a 1935 date.

Here is an early AutoStop distributor (?) catalog listing (lifted from the AutoStrop type thread) that gives the strop leather as horsehide.
C32050A2-B042-4EA4-8FCB-3F240510E6BB.jpeg

Well, I guess the strop material is settled, at least in 1935. It would be neat to find one of those sanitary outfits.

Often the patterning on leather strops was added to help hold strop pastes. Typically, the vintage patterned strops I see either have a smooth side or are paired with a smooth strop.

I have never read anything about how AutoStrop strops were intended to be used, but I expect that you could use either side. Mine has a sort of cross-hatching/diamond pattern on the 'top' side, as you can see above.

I have run my strop through the rollers over the edge of a blade, but just to see and feel how it went. I'm not going to shave with that blade.

Top Bottom