What's new

Where to buy shave ready straight razor

I have started using a Shavette for some of my shaves and I get ok results. I have been looking to get a real straight but not sure where to go. I have read on the forums that whipped dog sight unseen were recommended for starting on but I see on the website that they have been discontinued. Is there any other place to get a good shave ready razor for a good price?

I had Larry at Whipped Dog sharpen a razor for me and he's easy to talk to and to deal with. He may not advertise "Sight Unseen" razors, but drop him an email with what your looking for and he'll most likely be able to set you up with a good "starter".

you can buy new from The Superior Shave, but you'll pay new razor prices.

here in the BST probably has a good shot at being shave ready if they seller says so. he's putting his name on it.

you can buy vintage online and send it out for honing and still come in fairly inexpensively, or spend less otherwise.

I have also read that gold dollar and zy razors are decent and good for beginners, though not shave ready how the come from the factory. Would it be worth it to buy a cheaper new razor like one of those and get it professionally honed, or is that a waste of time and money?

I have also read that gold dollar and zy razors are decent and good for beginners, though not shave ready how the come from the factory. Would it be worth it to buy a cheaper new razor like one of those and get it professionally honed, or is that a waste of time and money?
Given the amount of problems and variance with these razors you would be better buying from a reliable source that sells them shave ready. (I know that some vendors buy in bulk and will not bother to prep our sell the really bad ones)

Personally I would go for a shave ready vintage razor.

I have bought from two sellers who deliver shave ready SR in the $20-35 range.

New SR users are not the best judge of shave ready. They may think it’s not ready because of their experience with saftey razor blades where little effort is required. I went from tugging and pulling to smooth shaving and it was not because the blade became sharper.

Well hydrated lather is important. Wade and Butcher had a slogan “you make a good lather and I’ll give a good shave” or something similar.

I had Larry at Whipped Dog sharpen a razor for me and he's easy to talk to and to deal with. He may not advertise "Sight Unseen" razors, but drop him an email with what your looking for and he'll most likely be able to set you up with a good "starter".

I’ll second Larry @ WhippedDog. He doesn’t advertise the sight unseen, but I emailed him and got one wicked sharp. I took some Mother’s Mag and Wheel polish to it and it cleaned right up.

I will second the superior shave. If price is a factor you could try a vintage straight on eBay. It's a 50/50 chance for a good blade. Also if you go that route I'd be willing to hone it for just the cost of shipping it to me.i did score a good vintage shave ready from eBay early on. It's possible just not a sure bet when buying from eBay. Dealers claim shave ready but you can always look at their reviews to see what others thought. I was overwhelmed at first but it all worked out. Lots to consider and a few extra things to buy. Good luck.

I've gotten good blades for $10, but the better ones are going to run around $17-25. I've learned to have a discriminating eye for the edges and members here have offered another set of eyes when I have been unsure. I don't have a razor that does not produce good results.

Learning to clean up and hone a 150 year old SR with some history of the maker or importer is very satisfying.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I second Larry for vintage and Jarrod for new razors. Both are good honest vendors. There are also a couple of ebay sellers known to this forum but I can never remember their names. Most ebay sellers don't even know anything about razors and certainly don't know what shave ready actually means.

I suggest a vintage for your first razor rather than a Gold Dollar or ZY or similar. Definitely try a GD later. It might surprise you how good a $4 razor can shave. But a good vintage is definitely on the next level and will probably shave better.

If possible, get TWO razors initially, so you have one to shave with while the first one to get dull is out being honed. Or while you try your hand at it. In the meantime, get yourself a nice badger brush and soap and learn to make a slick, wet lather. It will improve your shave even before you get a straight. Learn to stretch the skin and how to go WTG or very close to it, and to regulate pressure. Even your blue handle good news razor will give you an improved shave if you shave correctly instead of just dab on the Gilette Foamy and drag the thing by its blue plastic handle across your face. You need a strop too. Larry can hook you up with badger and strop pretty cheap.

I will second the superior shave. If price is a factor you could try a vintage straight on eBay. It's a 50/50 chance for a good blade. Also if you go that route I'd be willing to hone it for just the cost of shipping it to me.i did score a good vintage shave ready from eBay early on. It's possible just not a sure bet when buying from eBay. Dealers claim shave ready but you can always look at their reviews to see what others thought. I was overwhelmed at first but it all worked out. Lots to consider and a few extra things to buy. Good luck.

Outstanding offer!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I had another member here offer to send me a starter razor at no cost, so I’ll try that one to start.

I do have an older strop that’s in good condition so I can learn on that one but I’m also looking for a new one. I’ve done some research online and found the whipped dog poor man or rich man strop, and I also found over on reddit that RocTraitor sells strops that’s priced in between the two from whipped dog. I was just looking for an opinion on which one would be a good one to get.

You will cut up your first strop. Going inexpensive for it is a solid choice, and what I did with the poor man’s kit. That’ll keep you in business for a good little while with the balsa for touch ups.

Top Bottom