What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Have you tried these? I’m intrigued.

Haven't tried VDL, specifically, but it should be very good if indeed it's the same as vintage Fine (which was very good, imo).
Online reviews are positive, albeit limited.

vdl.jpg

Image from imgur (/NjIP0iG.jpg).

There's a separate thread with reviews for the new tallowless formula. Never tried tabac, but have a puck coming today fingers crossed 🤞
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
If you get a tallow tabac puck, you might be surprised by the immense scent strength of the new puck (I was). Even if it's too strong for your taste, don't hesitate to shave with it.... it will air out a bit in a few weeks anyway....

@all: Tomorrow is Tuesday again... don't forget Tallow Tabac Tuesday.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I enjoy non-tallow and tallow based soaps from a wide variety of manufacturers. As I said earlier, I don't chase Unicorns so when I eventually run out of my tallow based Tabac, that will be it. There are other tallow based soaps that I like as much as Tabac and I am always trying different tallow (and non-tallow) based soaps.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Slight setback…. I ordered a puck of the new formula to test it( I have a stash of the old one)

my parcel showed up but… it wasn’t my parcel. Someone else is hoarding Tabac but the old formula (shave sticks refills). No new puck!

the shipping label is mine, the order slip inside is for some else. I’ve contacted the seller, someone else got my puck(and a few other things).
Good news!

The right parcel showed up today with the new formulation of Tabac.

I have a review to finish with a shave stick but will then move to Tabac and to some tests between the previous and current versions.

Hi guys, I was following the thread at some point and today I went shopping with my wife. I was aware of the non-tallow version and wanted to see what's up in the shops around me with the Tabac. I'm living in Germany and we were at very wide spreaded chainstore about cosmetics and household. I saw some Tabac things and quickly headed this way. There were the stick refill and puck refill. For my surprise the stick was the tallow one and the puck refill was the new formula, and decided to try the stick (old formula) as I have never tried Tabac, because of the "smell", one time in the past I took a sniff at it and it was very unpleasant. This time knowing some pros and cons of the soap, and given the thread, I was ready to overcome the smell and try the quality of it and it was really worth it (the shaving was superb, in smell compartment loses big time). I'm not going to stock up on them, but for the folks, who want to do it and live in Germany also, can check in the orange store for cosmetics and make some stash before the Tabocalypse become reality.

Hi guys, I was following the thread at some point and today I went shopping with my wife. I was aware of the non-tallow version and wanted to see what's up in the shops around me with the Tabac. I'm living in Germany and we were at very wide spreaded chainstore about cosmetics and household. I saw some Tabac things and quickly headed this way. There were the stick refill and puck refill. For my surprise the stick was the tallow one and the puck refill was the new formula, and decided to try the stick (old formula) as I have never tried Tabac, because of the "smell", one time in the past I took a sniff at it and it was very unpleasant. This time knowing some pros and cons of the soap, and given the thread, I was ready to overcome the smell and try the quality of it and it was really worth it (the shaving was superb, in smell compartment loses big time). I'm not going to stock up on them, but for the folks, who want to do it and live in Germany also, can check in the orange store for cosmetics and make some stash before the Tabocalypse become reality.
Yes, Müller is restocking the puck with the new formula now for a couple of weeks but the sticks are still the old formula.

Question is now will the sticks also be replaced or does M&W let them quietly die…

I think that when introducing a new formula, many people give up this soap, there are better companies that produce vegan soaps. For me, Tabac was always associated with the old formula, it was the perfect soap at a good price, a great pity for me and probably for most people who use tabac

there are better companies that produce vegan soaps.

A fair question to ask here though is: what exactly do you mean by "better" companies in this context?

Many here (although granted, not all) are finding the new formula to be an excellent performing soap in its own right. Is this a value judgment on the company itself (Mäurer & Wirtz) rather than the individual product?

Top Bottom