What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wealthy customers in the western world seeking to end the use of animal products have generated a market for palm oil that has devastated the forests in Borneo, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Here's a map of the forests of Borneo that have receded due to palm oil plantations.

02e9676f-3b9e-4345-9b27-6b2a72de6335.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There’s still animal products in there isn’t there? Stearate and Laurate?

Potassium Stearate and Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate and Sodium Laurate are fatty acid salts. They are derived from the saponification of vegetable oils. They can be obtained from animal fats, but why would you specifically remove tallowate if you are using animal sourced chemicals in your product? Glycerin is a byproduct of saponification.

Last edited:
I didn’t suggest you said that, I suggested the graphic was misleading.
Apologies for the digression. I think we can all agree on one thing: different doesn’t always mean better. It might be better to some, while others are left wondering why it was altered in the first place.
I didn't say it was solely because shaving soap used them.
I quite agree with you. There's Palm Oil in almost everything. That's the problem.

Do you guys know how many animal products most Germans eat? Tallow is a very cheap and abundant ingredient. I seriously doubt this is some kind of vegan conspiracy.
:laugh:

More likely down to EU regulations. What we see on that label are fractionated fatty acids that may have come from animal or vegetable sources. We really don't know from that label if some of these fatty acids are animal or vegetable in origin, perhaps both. Tallow contains a lot of stearic acid. There is some in palm and a few other vegetable oils.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From the Maurer & Wirtz corporate sustainability website

"For us, this also includes the production of 100% vegan fragrances in the future; we have already started producing such fragrances."

Potassium Stearate and Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate and Sodium Laurate are fatty acid salts. They are derived from the saponification of vegetable oils. They can be obtained from animal fats, but why would you specifically remove tallowate if you are using animal sourced chemicals in your product? Glycerin is a byproduct of saponification.
Just to clarify, Potassium/Sodium Stearate is a derivative of stearic acid, source of which can be animal and/or plant.
Similarly, glycerin (often added post-saponification) is sourced from animal and/or plant.

(Potassium/Sodium Stearates often are pre-made and commercially sold.)

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just to clarify, Potassium/Sodium Stearate is a derivative of stearic acid, source of which can be animal and/or plant.
Similarly, glycerin (often added post-saponification) is sourced from animal and/or plant.

Yes, I agree that they can be sourced from animal or plant fats.
Based on the corporate sustainability statement goal of 100% vegan ingredients and the elimination of tallowate as an ingredient in the soap, there is nothing to lead me to believe that the Potassium/Sodium Stearate or glycerin is animal based.

Some of the crap on their site was hard to read. It sounds like to them Tabac is more about the fragrance than the ingredients. Obviously their customers have an opinion on that!

"For us, this also includes the production of 100% vegan fragrances in the future; we have already started producing such fragrances."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some of the crap on their site was hard to read. It sounds like to them Tabac is more about the fragrance than the ingredients. Obviously their customers have an opinion on that!

I think so.
If you read their history pages as written by them, they really emphasize that though they started as a soap company, they really have outgrown that and are now a major fragrance producer.

That sentence is from a corporate PR statement about sustainability.

Germans consume around 60kg of meat annually, and around 250kg of dairy products annually. There have been some slight declines in recent years. The main concerns seem to be related to health and the environment, not animal welfare. Germans are not giving up meat and dairy by any stretch of the imagination.

EU regulations on tallow in cosmetics are based primarily on health concerns, not animal welfare.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Do you guys know how many animal products most Germans eat? Tallow is a very cheap and abundant ingredient. I seriously doubt this is some kind of vegan conspiracy.
:laugh:

More likely down to EU regulations. What we see on that label are fractionated fatty acids that may have come from animal or vegetable sources. We really don't know from that label if some of these fatty acids are animal or vegetable in origin, perhaps both. Tallow contains a lot of stearic acid. There is some in palm and a few other vegetable oils.

Looking at Category 1 tallow reports, it appears to be a combination of a desire to move away from animal products by the public (lower demand) and of decreasing quantities of tallow due to both the increase in cost of cattle farming and the drive by the biodiesel companies to end double counting of category 1 tallow to make it easier to incorporate into the plans for biodiesel production.
Biodiesel regulations have previously only allowed category 3 tallow, but there have been some relaxation of the allowance of category 1 tallow, and there is push for expanding that resource for biodiesel.

Edit: I know that many around the globe are not going to give up on meat eating, including Germany and other EU countries, though beef consumption in Europe has been steadily decreasing, with the decrease in beef consumption being replaced by poultry and fish.

Last edited:
There is a big push in Germany and Austria against Palm Oil in any product.
So in addition to being gluten and lactose free, stuff is now labeled as palm oil free as well…
The cheapest straight cooking oils here on the consumer market are canola and sunflower. Yet for everything processed (bakery, margarine, frozen stuff & cosmetics) there’s still a big percentage with palm oil that is in the focus of NGO‘s.

Top Bottom