What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

I have no dogs in the fight "old vs. new formula" (tbh, I do hope that the new formula turns out to be as good as the tallow version so that Tabac still is going to be sold successfully in the distant future), however, I decided to be better on the safe side.

I went to two drugstores without success (they offered the new formula only), however, the third store was a hit.

According to this result I'm sure that the tallow formula will dissapear soon from the shelves here in Germany, too. Thanks @theklaw for bringing this change to my attention in good time.

20210727_233430.jpg

This was news to me and I verified that the Isle of Man is not in the UK as you said. What is puzzling to me is that my Simpson brushes are all labeled Great Britain, except for the Wee Scot which is labeled as coming from England.

Funny that a man from Illinois would know more about this than the company located there.
It's a technicality. The UK is a political
Ok, biting a bit on the tangent but it's interesting, so the IOM is basically a British Territory?
It gets kind of complicated based on history. Geographically, Mann is part of the British Isles. Politically, it is not part of the UK (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales). It is a Crown Dependency, that is a self-governing terrirory of the Queen. The UK is responsible for it's military defense and diplomacy.

It's a technicality. The UK is a political

It gets kind of complicated based on history. Geographically, Mann is part of the British Isles. Politically, it is not part of the UK (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales). It is a Crown Dependency, that is a self-governing terrirory of the Queen. The UK is responsible for it's military defense and diplomacy.

So more than a territory but less than an independent country by the sounds of it.

My point was that Simpson's advertises their brushes as being made in England.
Completely false.

Made in UK or Britain? Yes. Made in ENGLAND? Not for over a decade.

They do not state anywhere that they make brushes in England currently.

From the Simpson website…… Today we are perhaps the only remaining manufacturer of genuinely hand-made shaving brushes within Great Britain and the British Isles. I think Kent might disagree with this statement, but there you go. No England reference.

On a certain auction site, Tabac refills can be had for 15.50 BIN, free shipping. The seller has 7 left as of this posting, and confirmed to me it's the old formula, with tallow. I was going to stock up but didn't. I honestly feel like if I did, I would just want to hoard them and not use them because you can't get them anymore, so why buy them? Happy hunting.

Completely false.

Made in UK or Britain? Yes. Made in ENGLAND? Not for over a decade.

They do not state anywhere that they make brushes in England currently.

From the Simpson website…… Today we are perhaps the only remaining manufacturer of genuinely hand-made shaving brushes within Great Britain and the British Isles. I think Kent might disagree with this statement, but there you go. No England reference.

From Kent's website " Kent’s new 2020 shave range is handcrafted in England...", so I'm guessing they definitely would take issue with that statement. Unless England has separated from GB and the British Isles lol.

(rant mode on) Did I just read that? My goodness! People go out of their way completely misinterpreting a very simple text just to be picky about some useless point that hasn't even been mentioned by the original quote nor is the topic of the thread. Come on!

What is next? Simpsons has to use Yorkshire-raised, British accent-speaking badger to be able to claim they make real badger hair brushes in the UK? Get a life (/rant mode off)

You’re way too kind.

I find this whole panic funny as I buy tallow soaps generally but have favourite soaps that I wouldn’t bet money against if they had tallow or not. Not the usual suspects like Stirling and B&M, but I have more than a few great soaps that are vegan.

Good soap is good soap IMO. Maybe the new Tabac is pretty damned good. Anyone crack one yet or compare?

I find this whole panic funny as I buy tallow soaps generally but have favourite soaps that I wouldn’t bet money against if they had tallow or not. Not the usual suspects like Stirling and B&M, but I have more than a few great soaps that are vegan.

Good soap is good soap IMO. Maybe the new Tabac is pretty damned good. Anyone crack one yet or compare?

Yes, @theklaw already posted that he was not very impressed on post #102 of this thread.

I hear you. I’m one of those who think the new Haslinger without tallow is as good as the old.

On the other hand, there have been some notable reformulation disasters, so I also understand the panic—especially with an iconic brand like Tabac.

We need a blind A-B test in the name of soapy science.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't think I would necessarily classify purchases of a known and well liked product before it changes as fear or panic as I would as prudent.
I know I like the old Tabac. I might like the new Tabac.
But I might not.
If it is as good as the old, nothing lost in my purchase of the old.
If it's crap, the purchase will turn out to be a smart hedge bet.

Top Bottom