What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Do a few double-blind tests before you guys freak out. I'd be curious to know how many people can actually tell the difference enough to pick the tallow soap based on performance alone. In my experience if you go into this with the belief that tallow-free automatically means worse, then that is exactly the conclusion you'll reach regardless of objective reality. You always tend to find what you’re looking for.

Thank you for being a voice of reason here. If you don't test them blind with several people you already know what the results are gonna be!

I ordered up a few pucks from Pasteur's last week in an attempt to get my last grab at the tallow formula. When they arrive I will let everyone know what formula they have shipped me.

Just received two pucks from Amazon seller Peter Pann, they are tallow-free and on their merry way back as the ingredients list in the description was the old tallow formula. Oh well. I just thought I'd stock up on an old favorite, didn't really need any -- have enough other soap to get me through decades.
It will be good to hear your thoughts on the new version.

Just received two pucks from Amazon seller Peter Pann, they are tallow-free and on their merry way back as the ingredients list in the description was the old tallow formula. Oh well. I just thought I'd stock up on an old favorite, didn't really need any -- have enough other soap to get me through decades.
I'm getting mine tomorrow. Now that you mentioned sold by Peter Pann, I looked at my order. Unfortunately, mine says Peter Pann too. Reading more posts, some got tallow and some didn't. Mine will be going back if they're not tallow. Thanks for your update.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not sure how I missed this news. I probably have enough soaps on hand to last until I don't care anymore, but instead just went trolling around to see what was in stock. Not much and the face of the box doesn't offer any clue as far as I can see. Almost ordered a couple pucks from Connaught, but then thought I'd see what was in the drawer with the old AoS, the Sir Irisch Moos, etc. I have a couple Tabac pucks left, a couple sticks, and just filled the bowl recently so I held off having what might be new formula shipped across the pond. The performance of the older Tabac in my water is probably superior to any other hard soap, save perhaps the SIM, so it is highly unlikely that the new stuff will exceed it.

Thank you for being a voice of reason here. If you don't test them blind with several people you already know what the results are gonna be!

do you really believe that:
- potassium tallowate
- sodium Tallowate
- sodium cocoate
- potassium cocoate
+ sodium laurate
+ potassium laurate
+ lauric acid
= better soap?

I hope you are right but I can’t see it happening. If that’s the case, the hoard of US artisans have been missing a great opportunity! Everyone who claims to have a better-than-tallow soap base (like PAA CK6 or SV) uses a ton of exotic and expensive vegetable oils, not just a single one that is a component of palm or coconut oil itself. Maybe Tabac also increased the amount of stearin acid, and maybe this new soap is very good, but I don’t believe it can be better

I have some new pucks on the mail, and I will gladly keep one if they are tallow free, but the others will be returned

Last edited:
I found 4 pucks today and left the stick refills there…
2CC68CBE-4721-44A1-A50F-DE10016E24D0.jpeg

Top Bottom