What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

I was thinking it through a bit. I might use Tabac 25 days per year, since there are so many other soaps in play. At that rate, the two sticks of Tabac i already have might last ten years. There is quite a lot of Klar Seifen, Golddachs and Haslinger to last a long time. No need for a Tabac buying spree.
:innocent:

I was thinking it through a bit. I might use Tabac 25 days per year, since there are so many other soaps in play. At that rate, the two sticks of Tabac i already have might last ten years. There is quite a lot of Klar Seifen, Golddachs and Haslinger to last a long time. No need for a Tabac buying spree.
:innocent:

Right. I just bought a puck of (tallow) Tabac, and assuming about 150 shaves, it will last me at least 8 months. I'm not about to try to stock up. Comparing tallow and non-tallow Haslinger, I didn't find the difference to be great. The only disastrous reformulation I have any experience with is Geo. F. Trumper. Current formula Williams also isn't good for me, though I can see how some would like it. And both of those are tallow soaps, no? Also, I agree with the comment above re stearic acid.

Right. I just bought a puck of (tallow) Tabac, and assuming about 150 shaves, it will last me at least 8 months. I'm not about to try to stock up. Comparing tallow and non-tallow Haslinger, I didn't find the difference to be great. The only disastrous reformulation I have any experience with is Geo. F. Trumper. Current formula Williams also isn't good for me, though I can see how some would like it. And both of those are tallow soaps, no? Also, I agree with the comment above re stearic acid.
I forgot to mention Speick shaving soap stick. That is in the Tabac tallow ballpark and has a pleasant scent. Not to mention a fantastic matching aftershave.

I can't thank the members of B&B enough for sending out this reformulation warning. I discovered Tabac a few months ago and I was so blown away that it caused me to stop posting for a few months because I felt I had found my "chosen one". I told my wife- with all the crap I've bought over the last few years, I think this is all I'll ever need. If it weren't for coming back to B&B for Arko August I might've missed this thread and missed the chance to stock up. I put in the footwork and took the train to Pasteur's today. Got 2 refill pucks, 2 sticks w/ containers, and 2 refill sticks. I'm gonna vacuum seal them in foodsaver bags. As an added bonus I shuffled thru their shelf of Haslinger and found some older tallow pucks of those too- ringelblumen, salbei, and sandelholz

I just finished my evening shave and decided to use my ol' reliable setup: Gillette 1932 Canadian Tech, Personna Med Prep blade and Tabac soap. The version of Tech razor and blade may change a bit depending on my mood but the Tabac never does. I promptly sat down and put in a "hail Mary" order from the big river site for their remaining six refill pucks.

These are advertised as the tallow formulation and if they don't make the grade I will promptly return them. Case in point: I never want to be without this soap!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, despite thinking there was enough, I spied some Tabac floating on the Bay that was listed as old formula/tallow 3rd. Problem was I had to buy the bowl to purchase, but at only about 8 bucks more than the bare pucks before the mania I bit .. ok, I don't need a second bowl, but compared to say a C&S No.88 bowl at $115 without soap it seemed a bargain

I can't thank the members of B&B enough for sending out this reformulation warning. I discovered Tabac a few months ago and I was so blown away that it caused me to stop posting for a few months because I felt I had found my "chosen one". I told my wife- with all the crap I've bought over the last few years, I think this is all I'll ever need. If it weren't for coming back to B&B for Arko August I might've missed this thread and missed the chance to stock up. I put in the footwork and took the train to Pasteur's today. Got 2 refill pucks, 2 sticks w/ containers, and 2 refill sticks. I'm gonna vacuum seal them in foodsaver bags. As an added bonus I shuffled thru their shelf of Haslinger and found some older tallow pucks of those too- ringelblumen, salbei, and sandelholz
Seriously, I don't understand why more people aren't going to Pasteur instead of Scamazon. First of all, Pasteur is a real store that specializes in shave gear, as opposed to an online vendor that knows little or nothing about the product that they are selling. Don't we want to support the little guy? Secondly, you can email Pastuer and ASK if they still have the tallow version (they do). They will probably respond same-day. Last but not least, their prices are great! I picked up a few refill shave sticks for $9 each. I believe that the bowl refill is $15. Did I mention free US shipping via Priority Mail with $50 spent? What's not to love???

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Seriously, I don't understand why more people aren't going to Pasteur instead of Scamazon. First of all, Pasteur is a real store that specializes in shave gear, as opposed to an online vendor that knows little or nothing about the product that they are selling. Don't we want to support the little guy? Secondly, you can email Pastuer and ASK if they still have the tallow version (they do). They will probably respond same-day. Last but not least, their prices are great! I picked up a few refill shave sticks for $9 each. I believe that the bowl refill is $15. Did I mention free US shipping via Priority Mail with $50 spent? What's not to love???
Mertz Apothecary (smallflower) is the equivalent here in Chicago.

Mertz Apothecary (smallflower) is the equivalent here in Chicago.
I like Smallflower, but their free shipping threshold is higher and I haven't always received answers to my emails. But yes, if they have tallow Tabac, I would feel much better giving them my $$$ than some random seller on Amazon.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, Pasteurs is about 500 miles away and probably would take several days worth of train rides .. Smallflower has been good for me in the past, but looks like their prices have risen for Tabac tonight they want $22 for the puck compared to Pasteurs $15, or the $26 I just paid with the bowl Reminds me a bit of one of the times Floid Blue was discontinued, one vendor raised the price 100% overnight. .. My "local", Maggards is Out of stock. So, if you feel the need there's still time to browse around and stock up.

Seriously, I don't understand why more people aren't going to Pasteur instead of Scamazon.
This is a global international forum, not everyone is as close to Pastuers in NYC as me. Their website is fairly new too, but it will catch on soon enough with their awesome inventory. In store, the Tabac was up on the highest high shelf, I had to grab a stepstool to get to the few remaining pucks all the way in the back, they were almost empty. There's still around half a dozen bowls, half a dozen container sticks and about a dozen stick refills out on the shelf..but I'm sure they still have more... they have extra boxes of stuff stacked all over the place , above and below the main store shelves.

Well, since the only soaps available to buy within 300 miles of my home is Williams or Van der hagen (or canned goo), I settle for purchasing via the internet.

When did the formula change? I bought a puck of Tabac earlier this year. I threw the box away, so I can’t look at the ingredients.

This is a global international forum, not everyone is as close to Pastuers in NYC as me. Their website is fairly new too, but it will catch on soon enough with their awesome inventory. In store, the Tabac was up on the highest high shelf, I had to grab a stepstool to get to the few remaining pucks all the way in the back, they were almost empty. There's still around half a dozen bowls, half a dozen container sticks and about a dozen stick refills out on the shelf..but I'm sure they still have more... they have extra boxes of stuff stacked all over the place , above and below the main store shelves.
I guess my point was that Pasture has a website and can fulfill orders for tallow Tabac just about as easily as all of these hit-or-miss Amazon orders that folks appear to be placing. I live almost 3000 miles from the nearest Pasteur, but my 15+ orders using their website have been exceptional.

P.S. I just reread my previous post, and I guess I understand the confusion regarding my position on buying from smaller wet shaving retailers versus random Amazon vendors. When I said that I don't understand why people "aren't going to Pasteur instead of Scamazon", I didn't mean to say that I think that people should jump in their cars and drive to New York to visit Pasture. Similarly, I wouldn't expect that people would try drive to their nearest Amazon warehouse to pick up tallow Tabac. 😉 I meant to convey the fact that there are smaller retailers online that we should be supporting AND that have tallow Tabac in stock. This seems to me to be a much better option than giving our money to the retail monolith that may or may not sell us what we really want. I apologize for not being more clear.

Last edited:
Jay,
Are both Pasteur locations basically the same as far as what they stock for shaving stuff or does one store have noticeably more?
Jay

Top Bottom