What's new

Where is the Tallow?!

Ugh, I just found out that they reformulated Tabac when I received my sizable order of replacement pucks and a couple of sticks. All are the new forumula.

With cautious optimism, I tried it this morning, and to be honest, the shave itself is comparable to the old formula, so all's good, right? Unfortunately, no. It irritates my face; I started getting the dreaded tingle after the first pass.

I'm gutted and placed my haul up for sale on the board here.

I've been using Tabac for quite some time and haven't been able to find anything that performs even close to the old formula. I guess I'll have to use MWF as while it doesn't irritate my face, I prefer the old formula Tabac. Did I mention that I'm gutted?

Ugh, I just found out that they reformulated Tabac when I received my sizable order of replacement pucks and a couple of sticks. All are the new forumula.

With cautious optimism, I tried it this morning, and to be honest, the shave itself is comparable to the old formula, so all's good, right? Unfortunately, no. It irritates my face; I started getting the dreaded tingle after the first pass.

I've been using Tabac for quite some time and haven't been able to find anything that performs even close to the old formula. I guess I'll have to use MWF as while it doesn't irritate my face, I prefer the old formula Tabac. Did I mention that I'm gutted?

That sucks, but is also interesting to me as I find the new formula gentler on my face than the tallow version is. Maybe give it another try and use less product? One super annoying thing is the new formula does require a little bit of tweaking to get the same lather from the tallow formula.

There’s a shop on eBay, the original shaving company, that still has tallow puck/bowl combos for roughly $25 shipped to the USA. Not cheap, but not crazy either for that old school charmingly oily Tabac lather.

Hiya Budget,

Thanks, I'll have to look them up on Ebay. Interesting that your face prefers the Non-Tallow version. I sure wish mine did as otherwise it's comparable to the old formula, to me, anyways. Which is odd, as I'd have thought with all the fragrance that is in the original formula Tabac, it would tear my face up.

I have Arko sticks, and they shave fine, but again, I get that dreaded tingle. MWF is ok, but I don't like it as much as the old Tabac.

Oh well, progress, I guess, LOL.

Hiya Budget,

Thanks, I'll have to look them up on Ebay. Interesting that your face prefers the Non-Tallow version. I sure wish mine did as otherwise it's comparable to the old formula, to me, anyways. Which is odd, as I'd have thought with all the fragrance that is in the original formula Tabac, it would tear my face up.

I have Arko sticks, and they shave fine, but again, I get that dreaded tingle. MWF is ok, but I don't like it as much as the old Tabac.

Oh well, progress, I guess, LOL.
Have you ever tried Italian bricks like Cella, Vitos or 3P?

D.R. Harris triple-milled soap with tallow is similar soap of good quality - the closest to tallow Tabac that I have found. There is also Cyril R. Salter Solid Shave Soap with tallow that Connaught sells. I have not yet tried the Cyril R. Salter. And Connaught has reasonable cost shipping to the US.

Have you ever tried Italian bricks like Cella, Vitos or 3P?

I did try some Italian soap samples back in the day, Antica Barbieria Colla was one of them, and they irritated my skin.

D.R. Harris triple-milled soap with tallow is similar soap of good quality - the closest to tallow Tabac that I have found. There is also Cyril R. Salter Solid Shave Soap with tallow that Connaught sells. I have not yet tried the Cyril R. Salter. And Connaught has reasonable cost shipping to the US.

I will have to look into those. I did try D.R. Harris’ Arlington back in the day, but it really lit my face up. Oozed quality, though. I may have to give them another look. Thanks for the recommendation.

Steve

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I have been safely distracted by Santa Maria Novella for the past year and a half, so I haven’t even dug into my Tabac stash yet. Maybe give that a try to ease your mind.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yes, that’s the stuff. It’s incredibly expensive, but it’s one of my favorites. I stopped recommending it on a regular basis because of the high price. I would hate to have someone shell out that much cash and then find they don’t care for it that much. However, in the case of someone willing to spend top dollar to get a few pucks of Tabac (I don’t blame you, I did) I thought it might pique your interest.

I gotta tell you, it looks intriguing. It’s a bit too much $ to take a chance on though as my face probably won’t like it.
You can try Razorock‘s Santa Maria del Fiore which is way cheaper and really close to SMN.

47AF85B9-5A24-4782-A695-B5BEB8ADD292.jpeg

I got some of this and was a little disappointed. I ended up giving it to my wife, as it works well for her.
I like the vanilla/Tobacco Toscano + Eukalyptus profile and use it during summer. This and Officina Artigiana Milano are the most expensive croaps in my den otherwise it’s budget products with rather linear scents.

Top Bottom