What's new

Where is the Blade?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Make your own three piece razor as you think they ought to be. There are blue prints of some Conrad razor you might use as a template
Too much trouble to make one from scratch, now customizing a handle is a piece of cake, and I'm pretty sure I could mod a plate. But much better for me to let someone else machine it for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Unlike us who want to know everything about the razor that some of us here even draw imaginary lines to show blade gap/exposure hee hee!
Oh that would be me for sure, I already made one of those plastic gages to check blade exposure. LOL

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi, I am a Newbie to DE shaving and one thing I have noticed when looking at new and used DE razors, there is never a picture showing the razor with a blade loaded.

As a machinist by trade, fifty plus years in the medical and aerospace industry, I would think this would be very helpful when comparing razors. It is kinda like a blueprint that is missing dimensions needed to produce the product.
We could go on about companies bragging about their CNC's but I will leave that for another discussion.
Doug
I can't ask my dad for shaving advise so I came here
VERY valid point. I've often wondered the same.

I've been using a DE for decades. It never occurred to me there was a value in seeing the blade loaded. Even with my experience, not sure I could make a definitive argument about how the razor will perform. I only know one way to know.

It did occur to be that the Schick Injector came with a loaded blank. Most of them on auction sites show the blade loaded.

Perhaps if the OP knows what he wants members can load a blade and provide him with photos. :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
:2guns:
I've been using a DE for decades. It never occurred to me there was a value in seeing the blade loaded. Even with my experience, not sure I could make a definitive argument about how the razor will perform. I only know one way to know.

It did occur to be that the Schick Injector came with a loaded blank. Most of them on auction sites show the blade loaded.

Perhaps if the OP knows what he wants members can load a blade and provide him with photos. :)
There in lies the problem, I really don't know what I want, I am beginning to see your point however.:thumbup1:
RR3.jpg

Hi, I am a Newbie to DE shaving and one thing I have noticed when looking at new and used DE razors, there is never a picture showing the razor with a blade loaded.

As a machinist by trade, fifty plus years in the medical and aerospace industry, I would think this would be very helpful when comparing razors. It is kinda like a blueprint that is missing dimensions needed to produce the product.
We could go on about companies bragging about their CNC's but I will leave that for another discussion.
Doug
I can't ask my dad for shaving advise so I came here

I can see where you'd like the pictures. Here is a picture of my Van der Hagen razor. It only cost $11.76 including sales tax and five free blades. I've shaved 86 times with it. It weighs 68 grams, has a .63 mm gap, and about a 3 inch handle. It works perfectly for me.

upload_2019-2-24_17-51-14.png

It has a 24 degree shaving angle and just a little bit of exposure. If I was going to get a razor made of expensive materials, I'd like the same features. Most razors have a 30 degree angle which makes them scrape instead of slice comparatively speaking.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Yes, if you knew what you wanted or needed, perhaps seeing a blade loaded might help the person who knew what they were seeing.

I have several vintage razors. The fun for me has been to become proficient with each one, DE or SE.
"I see" said the blind man as he picked up his cane and saw.
The pic I just posted was of my new Razorock DE1 that was recommended by this forum. Compared with my Chieftain they both have almost identical blade gaps but the blade angle appears to be slightly different.
Will give it a drive and let you know the results!
Doug

"I see" said the blind man as he picked up his cane and saw.
The pic I just posted was of my new Razorock DE1 that was recommended by this forum. Compared with my Chieftain they both have almost identical blade gaps but the blade angle appears to be slightly different.
Will give it a drive and let you know the results!
Doug

In time you will find out what you really like and that's when you'll be so deep in the rabbit hole lol.

The elusive perfect shave is always somewhere out there with the perfect razor.

Good luck.

Top Bottom