What's new

Where insanity lies??

I bought exactly this Rocca combination when it first appeared and had high hopes, having used an R41 series razor before.
In particular, I liked the birch bark material, which reminded me of cork. (Must have been the wine drinker in me.🍷)

In the beginning I was enthusiastic, but my enthusiasm wore off quickly.
Coming from a MĂĽhle open comb, the closeness of my shaves it was actually a step down.

What finally ruined it for me was when during an overseas move, when due to Covid our goods spend three months packed away in acclimatised storage, the “stainless” steel parts (razor, brush and stand) developed stains.
I contacted MĂĽhle, but they had no suggestions that would restore the original condition.
Nothing else did suffer any damage during that time.

I believe, you may have mentioned that it does not have to be a BBS for you every time, but that Rocca “stainless” steel develops stains would give me a pause to think.

It’s unlikely that you will regret the switch to a Tatara, if the Masamune is not close enough, they will gladly sell you a Nodachi head, which in either open or closed comb gave me excellent results.

B

I bought exactly this Rocca combination when it first appeared and had high hopes, having used an R41 series razor before.
In particular, I liked the birch bark material, which reminded me of cork. (Must have been the wine drinker in me.🍷)

In the beginning I was enthusiastic, but my enthusiasm wore off quickly.
Coming from a MĂĽhle open comb, the closeness of my shaves it was actually a step down.

What finally ruined it for me was when during an overseas move, when due to Covid our goods spend three months packed away in acclimatised storage, the “stainless” steel parts (razor, brush and stand) developed stains.
I contacted MĂĽhle, but they had no suggestions that would restore the original condition.
Nothing else did suffer any damage during that time.

I believe, you may have mentioned that it does not have to be a BBS for you every time, but that Rocca “stainless” steel develops stains would give me a pause to think.

It’s unlikely that you will regret the switch to a Tatara, if the Masamune is not close enough, they will gladly sell you a Nodachi head, which in either open or closed comb gave me excellent results.

B
If this is addressed to me, I absolutely have to have a BBS shave every day. While I'm adding the Tatara Masamune to my razor stash, it won't replace anything. I suspect I'll get my required BBS with it as I do all my other razors. If this wasn't directed to me, never mind! ;)

@Brutus sorry to hear about the problem with your Rocca. Do you still have it? If so, maybe post pictures and others might have suggestions on how to set things right? Just a thought.

If this is addressed to me, I absolutely have to have a BBS shave every day. While I'm adding the Tatara Masamune to my razor stash, it won't replace anything. I suspect I'll get my required BBS with it as I do all my other razors. If this wasn't directed to me, never mind! ;)

That makes two of us then.

Yes, it was, but it seems my almost 70-year-old memory may not serve me quite as well as it once did.
Like an old hard disk in need of defragmentation, search times in my memory seem to have become longer too… :001_cool:

B.

lasta

Blade Biter
That makes two of us then.

Yes, it was, but it seems my almost 70-year-old memory may not serve me quite as well as it once did.
Like an old hard disk in need of defragmentation, search times in my memory seem to have become longer too… :001_cool:

B.
Think on the bright side, you can delete those stains too!

Bar Keeper's Friend is safe on steel and will wipe stains away in seconds.

Reactions: CCS
Think on the bright side, you can delete those stains too!

Bar Keeper's Friend is safe on steel and will wipe stains away in seconds.

Thank you, I will try that. :thumbup1:
The birch bark Rocca set is after all a thing of beaut…

Of course, it will not solve the underlying conundrum that the Rocca shaves not as close as the R41, and that the R41 shaves IMO not as close as the Ti Masamune Nodachi that I am currently using. :001_cool:

B.

Top Bottom