What's new

Where have all the Tiny Brush lovers gone?

I collect small brushes and large brushes and those in between. I rarely use the really small and big ones though.

O8140533_DxO.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I used to post in the Tiny Brush Owners Club but haven't for a while ... :blushing:

Here's a pic from a few years ago.
UK Butterscotch, Commodore X1, Omega (reknot badger bulb), Wee Scot
full

Here's a pic from a few years ago.
:thumbup: Thank you Doug.

I'm really intrigued by the Wee Scot, being a somewhat bigger Scot myself. I suspect it may not have sufficient backbone for my tastes. Would you be able to enlighten me on that issue please Doug?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm a Scot myself, Highland Scottish MacMillan clan (50%). The little guy has a fair amount of backbone considering the diameter of the knot. I'm not sure what your preferences are but it works for face lathering. It's more of a novelty than anything and I use a larger brush when traveling.

If you were here in the states I would send it to you to try, it's only a few dollars. But to the UK ...

I'm a Scot myself, Highland Scottish MacMillan clan (50%).
upload_2017-10-29_2-52-39.png
:001_cool: (I'm progeny of the MacCallum Clan.)
The little guy has a fair amount of backbone considering the diameter of the knot. I'm not sure what your preferences are but it works for face lathering. It's more of a novelty than anything and I use a larger brush when traveling.
Strangely enough, I just purchased a Simpson's Case C1 (in Pure) today. I believe that's their next smallest brush. I do face lather, but liking brushes with good backbone I made sure I got the Pure, rather than the Best (which I believe is softer hair). With the Wee Scot being in Best and having a 1:3 knot/loft ratio, and the Case1 being in Pure and having a 1:2 knot/loft I think I'll probably prefer the Case1.
Mind you, as Alexander Simpson was a Scot too, I might eventually HAVE TO GET the Wee Scot. :laugh:
If you were here in the states I would send it to you to try, it's only a few dollars. But to the UK ...
Thanks for the thought Doug.:001_smile Yep, "over the pond" shipping rates are a pain.

I collect small brushes ...
I've only just noticed that the little one on the right is also a Wee Scot. I imagine that it's the "real" Wee Scot whereas the modern one beside it is a lot bigger and I guess a lot easier to make. Do you know when it (the little one on the right) was made please?

I've only just noticed that the little one on the right is also a Wee Scot. I imagine that it's the "real" Wee Scot whereas the modern one beside it is a lot bigger and I guess a lot easier to make. Do you know when it (the little one on the right) was made please?

I don't know exactly when it was made, but it is often referred to as the Nano-Scot. A forum search might reveal some answers to your questions.

I don't know exactly when it was made, but it is often referred to as the Nano-Scot. A forum search might reveal some answers to your questions.
Thank you Dave. My initial searching has brought up the following:

A quote from Gary Young (Alexander Simpson's grandnephew):
"There were originally 3 sizes of Wee Scot – the Wee Scot 3 is now known as the ‘Case’."

The original (non-ivory) Simpson brushes (like your Wee Scot 1) were turned from Catalin.

I'm pretty sure @Badger babe has the smallest brush ever made. She has posted it in the TBOC.

I've been wanting the Nano-Scot for a long time. I have no idea how to even go about finding one.

I do like to think I rein supreme when it comes to the smallest of smalls.
proxy.php

Here's my tiny guy next to a wee Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like to think I reign supreme when it comes to the smallest of smalls.
That's brilliant Rebecca! :thumbup1:

According to the Simpsons website, the dimensions for the Wee Scot (or Wee Scot 2 as we have discovered) are:
Knot: 13mm
Loft: 38mm
Handle height: 30mm
Total height: 68mm
Weight: 19g

Do you have dimensions for your tiny Souplex please?

My Wee Scot has these dimensions:

knot diameter 10 mm
handle height 21 mm
loft height 27 mm
total height 48 mm
Weight 7 g
C1090D88-ED24-469C-B5AD-8B143EA6FC97.jpeg
3837AE49-FD9B-4C75-9EC4-E793799E3751.jpeg

So here is no souplex against a wee Scot
proxy.php

Here are pics of its measurement
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It's roughly 1/2 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom