What's new

Where do you smoke?

Room note is everything for the ladies. Buy a suitable aromatic (a pouch of SWRA will suffice), and puff away near an open door or window. Most ladies will fall for the aroma and eventually hope you come in with it. Tell her about the 64 Report, and she might even let you stay.

I guess she would be okay with me smoking inside, at least in "my" room, in fact she likes the smell of the tobacco, though I mainly smoke non-aromatic or natural blends (seldomly Latakia though). But I wouldn't want to bother her with the smoke, because ones I'd get used to smoking in the house, I won't go back to smoking outside anymore. :D

Columbo, do you have a link to the 1964 report so I can read it? I tried searching and got only reports about the report, not the thing itself.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Columbo, do you have a link to the 1964 report so I can read it? I tried searching and got only reports about the report, not the thing itself.

Go to page 112 to start. There is also a ton of other data elsewhere.

Page 92 is the happy part ... 0.8 for non-inhalers, 1.0 for inhalers.

It’s been a long time since I’ve read this report.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ozium Air Sanitizer (available on Amazon) does a very good job of clearing the air of stale tobacco odor. It is not a cover up type air spray. Our realtor put me onto it to clear the tobacco scent from our garage when we showed our house. It works surprisingly well.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Ozium Air Sanitizer (available on Amazon) does a very good job of clearing the air of stale tobacco odor. It is not a cover up type air spray. Our realtor put me onto it to clear the tobacco scent from our garage when we showed our house. It works surprisingly well.

We’ve been using that stuff for 40 years. Kills many stinks. Smells like a hospital, though.

If you don’t want to wait for the Amazon van to deliver the dented cans, most hardware stores (Ace, etc.) also carry it.

Strange that a buyer would be concerned about garage odors. You run gasoline engines in there.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
We’ve been using that stuff for 40 years. Kills many stinks. Smells like a hospital, though.

If you don’t want to wait for the Amazon van to deliver the dented cans, most hardware stores (Ace, etc.) also carry it.

Strange that a buyer would be concerned about garage odors. You run gasoline engines in there.
I find 90% of what offends people these days strange.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I smoke outside away from the house. I’m married to a vascular surgeon who sees the effects of smoking everyday. She looks at me sideways when I get a new pipe or tobacco order. The pipe vs cigarette argument does not work her. Smoking is Smoking in her view. I also have small kids and don't want them to see me smoking all the time. If they pick up the habit on their own later in life so be it, but I don’t want them to start smoking because dad does.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I smoke outside away from the house. I’m married to a vascular surgeon who sees the effects of smoking everyday. She looks at me sideways when I get a new pipe or tobacco order. The pipe vs cigarette argument does not work her. Smoking is Smoking in her view. I also have small kids and don't want them to see me smoking all the time. If they pick up the habit on their own later in life so be it, but I don’t want them to start smoking because dad does.
Tell her this ... last I checked, very few people die healthy. And everyone dies.

Funny thing is, some of the most voracious cigarette smokers I ever met were doctors. They had one of the lowest average life expectancies of the major professions. Go figure. Maybe that has changed since the 1970s.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Maybe that has changed since the 1970s.
Most definitely has changed. I know quite a few docs that will have 3-4 cigars A YEAR, but that’s it. I still see a lot of non Fire Dept based EMS smokers but that’s about it in healthcare. There are still a few old “battle axe” RNs around that smoke. They’re the nurses that you’ll see giving orders to the new resident docs, and the docs do what the RNs tell them to do. Im sure @FarmerTan knows a few of this type.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I most DEFINITELY know of the "battle axes", and yes, they still exist, God bless 'em!

The real shame is that they, as well as the Licensed Practical Nurses are dropping like flies: "forced" retirement, death....and their knowledge and experience goes out the door.

Lol, the honest doctors, after a few cocktails, perhaps, will tell you stories of how those folks saved their bacon a time or two!

FarmerTan

@Whisky : have you ever tried making your own whiskey? Yes, I know, the "Master of Thread Derailment" is at it again, but I've always been intrigued by the idea, since my mother's side of my ancestry comes from DEEP in the Appalachian Mountains. That'll be in my book I'll never get around to writing as well!

Derailment over. Carry on.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I most DEFINITELY know of the "battle axes", and yes, they still exist, God bless 'em!

The real shame is that they, as well as the Licensed Practical Nurses are dropping like flies: "forced" retirement, death....and their knowledge and experience goes out the door.

Lol, the honest doctors, after a few cocktails, perhaps, will tell you stories of how those folks saved their bacon a time or two!

In chatting with my own doctor this week, it appears to be the case that today's doctors and nurses are as much data entry clerks as they are medical professionals. He tells me he spends three hours every night at home TYPING IN DATA. Nuts.

My sister was one of those 70s "battle axes". She once saved an older guy they had given up on. Spent an extra five minutes after everyone else had walked away ... and he started beating again. I cannot tell you how happy that guy was for the next 5-6 years. Showered her and the whole family with love. He was a kind soul.

FarmerTan

In chatting with my own doctor this week, it appears to be the case that today's doctors and nurses are as much data entry clerks as they are medical professionals. He tells me he spends three hours every night at home TYPING IN DATA. Nuts.

My sister was one of those 70s "battle axes". She once saved an older guy they had given up on. Spent an extra five minutes after everyone else had walked away ... and he started beating again. I cannot tell you how happy that guy was for the next 5-6 years. Showered her and the whole family with love. He was a kind soul.
I won't name the US President that started this mess that probably forced a LOT of Docs and Nurses into early retirement, but part of the new way of doing business in healthcare has made me counsel people considering it for a career to become automotive mechanics instead.

The paperwork is literally causing divorces, suicides... job hopping.... The charting is unreal. When I started, I might have to werk an hour overtime, AT MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT, per week catching up on charting.

When I retired, I was doing 3 hours a night AT HOME, at a minimum.

TRULY, anytime the Guvmint gets involved in ANYTHING it screws it up.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I won't name the US President that started this mess that probably forced a LOT of Docs and Nurses into early retirement, but part of the new way of doing business in healthcare has made me counsel people considering it for a career to become automotive mechanics instead.

The paperwork is literally causing divorces, suicides... job hopping.... The charting is unreal. When I started, I might have to werk an hour overtime, AT MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT, per week catching up on charting.

When I retired, I was doing 3 hours a night AT HOME, at a minimum.

TRULY, anytime the Guvmint gets involved in ANYTHING it screws it up.

Something is very wrong about what you just said. If I need care in an emergency, my providers should not be disgusted and exhausted themselves from last night’s paperwork. We have posting rules, so I won’t say any more about it.

A modern auto mechanic is not much better. You need an IT degree to diagnose a bad sensor anymore. The vehicles are literally rolling computer networks. I keep a laptop in my home just for our cars, just so I can make sure the mechanic is not mindlessly throwing parts at them ... and I’m retired!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
When I started in EMS, we had paper charts. I could get through a paper chart in 15min. By the time I retired it took about an hour to complete an “Electric Patient Care Record” or EPCR. None of the charting systems talk to each other. So if you go to an Emergency Room and that doesn’t use the same software your doctor does and you’re unresponsive they won’t know you’re allergic to a med until they pump you full of it and you go into anaphylactic shock. They won’t know what surgeries you’ve had until they start checking for scars. Our Healthcare system is very screwed up.

To keep this on topic, I used to spend warm Texas evenings sitting on the back bumper of my ambulance and smoke cigarettes while drinking coffee and reading a book. Good times.

And I’ve never made my own Whisky.

I have spent far too many hours in various hospital rooms and talking to nurses the past few years. I feel glad to assure everyone here the old battle axe nurses are still there. Just as hard nosed and crotchety as ever, only putting up with less from too young to shave doctors.

In smoking related news, I got the ok to smoke in my basement recently. Since I'm already slowly turning it into my workshop, Mrs. Rookie finds the scents of sawdust and pipe tobacco to be "pleasantly manly". But in order to fit a proper recliner down there, I'll have to pass on a piece of shop equipment, like a tablesaw or drill press.

Wait a second. Damn she's good!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hedrman:
🥶 With no local cigar lounge near by and although the winter season is 'nothing' like winters where I grew up in East Lansing, MI, the winters are very mild here so...I usually 'walk my cigar' (if I take say...a Cuban R y J Petite Corona for company), which the Mrs, and I measured in our truck to be around 1½ miles ...around the neighborhood.
proxy.php

Now, to be honest (pause...wink), Ill admit that if the Mrs. had/has a overnight stay some where (either hotel and/or with family),...I"m gonna smoke a cigar indoors (and air out the place later).
proxy.php

walking-my-cigar-png.1189790
"If the world seems cold to you, [light a cigar and] kindle fires to warm it". Lucy Larcom

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Room note is everything for the ladies. Buy a suitable aromatic (a pouch of SWRA will suffice), and puff away near an open door or window. Most ladies will fall for the aroma and eventually hope you come in with it. Tell her about the 64 Report, and she might even let you stay.
Funny you should mention that. My wife was ooohing and aahing over SWRA while we were watching TV tonight. She said it reminded her of chocolate pudding. Wish I had been smoking this when we were younger 😂.

Usually I park on a side street near my campus, a block bordering the park and which has a good deal of shade for most of the day. For some reason I found myself looking around for a bench which would also have some shade around noontime. Not far from the car was a shelter with two or three picnic tables. It occurred to me that, once I buy a lighter, I *could* take a stash of tobacco, a tamper, a couple of pipe cleaners, and a pipe, leave them in the car's trunk, and after finishing lunch I could have a quick smoke on pleasant days. . . .

"Pleasant days"? What am I thinking? Noontimes from Easter to Thanksgiving, sometimes Christmas, are foul and disagreeable here. I'd wind up back in my office soaked with sweat.

But it is an idea.

. . . Not far from the car was a shelter with two or three picnic tables. It occurred to me that, once I buy a lighter, I *could* take a stash of tobacco, a tamper, a couple of pipe cleaners, and a pipe, leave them in the car's trunk, and after finishing lunch I could have a quick smoke on pleasant days. . . .
Just now I walked over to the shelter with my pipe pouch of supplies, Carter Hall foil pack, and straight apple pipe. No lighter yet, and it was a bit too windy for a match to stay lit; I tried. It might have stayed lit near the shelter . . . but of the 4 benches, 2 were occupied by sleeping (or passed out) homeless men. The last thing I want is to be bothered when I'm enjoying my pipe. Plus it's already too warm for such pursuits. I'll wait until I get home!

Top Bottom