What's new

Where do you smoke?

Ahh....deep envy for those of you who have shelter.....

I am relegated to the backyard patio and that is why this time of year is so bittersweet. We have the last gasp of indian summer right now...from here on in - November gets cold. I am only able to sneak a cigar or a pipe on weekend early afternoons, since once the sun goes down - temps plummet, even with a firepit

The “next house” will be located further south than New England, will have a 3-season screened porch and/or a garage and support 4 season tobacco enjoyment

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ahh....deep envy for those of you who have shelter.....

I am relegated to the backyard patio and that is why this time of year is so bittersweet. We have the last gasp of indian summer right now...from here on in - November gets cold. I am only able to sneak a cigar or a pipe on weekend early afternoons, since once the sun goes down - temps plummet, even with a firepit

The “next house” will be located further south than New England, will have a 3-season screened porch and/or a garage and support 4 season tobacco enjoyment
When I lived in Syracuse, NY, I rarely got to smoke in the winter - sometimes in the basement tying flies I would have a pipe. Right now I’m in the garage due to a rainy yet warm day. I’ll never forget those 1,651 days 11 hours and 30 minutes I lived in Syracuse. Hated it!

I smoke on my back porch or in my pole barn. I was thinking ahead for once and I put in a bathroom with shower in the pole barn and spray foamed it and added a heater. I can sit out there in 20 degree windy nights and it's 72 degrees inside. I've got TV's with satellite at both locations so I can sit back and relax. I even put refrigerators at both spots too for water, spirits and beer.

I have a porch attached to my garage which is attached to my house. That is where I smoke.

I haven't had a pipe in...probably getting close to a year. When this COVID crap is over, I'll get back into it on a more normal basis. My 4+ year old nightcap should be pretty good by then :)

I smoke pipe in my library (off limits to my wife, and/or guests). Cigars only outdoors. At this time of the year, cigars only on the sunny days (high elevation, and warm regardless of the air temp). Cloudy, windy, snowy days, are for the pipe in the library.

It's been outside for over 20 years, because most places I've lived don't allow smoking of any kind on the premises. But in my single years, I would always enjoy sitting on my front porch enjoying a nice Partagas or a Hoyo de Monterrey Merlin 1066. Now it's almost entirely to, from, and at work with regular cigs (not enough time to enjoy a cigar.)

It dissipates pretty significantly, depending on what kind of blends you smoke. Latakia and dark fired will stick around the longest. But even those are nothing like cigars which have a pretty significant hang around factor. If I smoke a bowl of Va, VaPer, or an aro, it’ll mostly be cleared out by morning, and what’s left isn’t unpleasant. If you do it every day, it’ll build up over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been spraying some Febreze around after I smoke a pipe -- which I do mostly out on the walkway or near the screen door, or by the stove exhaust fan. Most of my tobacco recently has been burley OTCs anyway, so the faint scent is very pleasant.

Also, I smoke only at home, at least for now. There are a couple of restaurants/coffee shops with patios, and until the real heat gets here (by late this month, by the look of things), and once I buy a pipe lighter, I could puff a half-bowl while waiting for my food or drinking my coffee. Soon, though, I'll have to retreat into the A/C -- which means home. And there I have to worry about the cats inhaling some of the smoke.

I cannot understand smoking while driving, however. I have to pay attention to too many variables and changing circumstances when I pilot a vehicle. Maybe on the open road with no vehicles around, which is also the only time I drink coffee or have a snack in my car. But my imagination conjures up terrible scenarios: Smoke goes down my airway by mistake and I cough, or I drop the still-burning pipe into my lap; my gaze leaves the road; Mommy yakking on her cell phone pulls out; and Screech BANG! Benzadmiral becomes a soul to be reaped a la Dead Like Me. No thank you.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Now that we’ve moved and are no longer living in a house for sale, I smoke in the house as well as the porch or while walking the dogs.

I mostly smoke at local tobacco shops that have small lounges. One allows you to sit around and shoot the breeze for free while lighting up a cigar or pipe, indoors or out depending on weather. The other charges $5 for an hour. I rarely smoke at home for fear of getting caught. As one of my latest hobbies, smoking I know would be a big no-no with the wife (family history of smoking and the big "C").

Tim

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
When I was still able to smoke. Under the patio sitting on my café table by my café table with a nice cup of Russian caravan tea. Luxury!

I used to smoke at home. Since I moved into a new house with my wife I only smoke on the balcony or while I'm having a walk outside or having a coffee in café outdoors, if the weather allows me to (she is a none smoker - she is okay with me smoking inside, but I don't want to make it a habit). So pipe smoking has become recognizably less in the winter months.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I used to smoke at home. Since I moved into a new house with my wife I only smoke on the balcony or while I'm having a walk outside or having a coffee in café outdoors, if the weather allows me to (she is a none smoker - she is okay with me smoking inside, but I don't want to make it a habit). So pipe smoking has become recognizably less in the winter months.

Room note is everything for the ladies. Buy a suitable aromatic (a pouch of SWRA will suffice), and puff away near an open door or window. Most ladies will fall for the aroma and eventually hope you come in with it. Tell her about the 64 Report, and she might even let you stay.

Top Bottom