What's new

Where do you go for News?

Proper news reporting is so hard to find. And I'm not talking about a conservative or liberal slant, but just honest news stories. Everything seems political, marketing or just plain bickering. I'm specifically not looking for NY Times, CNN, Fox News, NBC, BBC, et al, etc.

So where can I go not only to find current news, but interesting news?

Well, I really enjoy the NPR format of news.

Not only for the International and National stories but really its the arts/other stories (music, books, projects, people) that I find seperates them from the big 24hr cable junk.

Just my $.02

+1 NPR. I enjoy listening to shortwave broadcasts, too. BBC has stopped broadcasting to the USA, I think. But there are still English-language broadcasts from several European countries, Japan, Cuba...

sA good chunk of my news, to be honest, comes from Fark. They are on top of current news as fast or faster than any other single outlet as the links come from all over the spectrum. I also use Google Reader and have various news feeds in there so it just depends on what you are looking for. The Christian Science Monitor only puts out a few articles a day, but they are quite in depth analysis of current situations in the news. Compare that to CNN of other main news site and you do not get that level of detail.

Dennis

Well, there are many who like to say that NPR has a heavy liberal bias, and although I don't really perceive it myself, I understand people tend to prefer sources that reinforce their own opinions. The one thing I usually pick out about their news shows -- in contrast to the typical cable commentary -- is that when they have a guest or a caller, they don't ask rhetorically loaded questions and they let them speak without interruption or argument. This alone does wonders for my blood pressure, especially whilst driving. And yes, I do like the bits on the arts and culture from around the world that you really can't get anywhere else.

Its a shame its come to this -- you might be reading a perfectly legitimate news article, but so many of us have a "consider the source" mentality in the backs of our heads, especially if we want a reason to disagree or disbelieve the article. I don't go seeking them out, but when I read a FoxNews article, for example, I try to give it a fair shake in my head. What I've come to realize through this, is that I don't think anyone's really manipulating the news -- I think 99% of what you find on FoxNews, CNN, NYT, etc etc is perfectly accurate. However, sometimes the way it gets selected and presented (see Drudge Report), or the editorial or critical analysis (see every single cable news blowhard) contributes more to the perception of bias than the actual reporting. Of course, sometimes its hard to find the actual reporting amidst the commentary, as that's what seems to have a bigger audience.

So, my only other suggestion is to go to the source -- http://news.myway.com/, where you can at least get unfiltered AP news (with no advertising to boot... yay!), or http://www.reuters.com/. At least that might be helpful in filtering out some of the unnecessary commentary and other blog-quality bullcrap that they seem to think belongs in the news these days.

snip.... but just honest news stories. ....snip

Personally, I don't know that I've ever seen such a thing. I hate normally anything to do with media of almost any sort. There are even times I'll watch a football or hockey game with the sound turned down because the play-by-play people are so one-sides. Same with many news writers, all too far to the left or right of the truth to give a good view.

Breitbart news is a good source. I also gleen from some blogs: LGF, townhall, realclearpolitics....and Drudge.

Tim,

Here are my favorites - radio, print, and online:

The Economist (one of the best news magazines there is)
NPR (radio - sometimes a bit liberal but that doesn't hurt anything)
Drudge Report (online clearing house for all sorts of stuff)
BBC (radio and online)

I feel that most of these give relatively 'honest' news - maybe a slight slant, but at least you'll be getting real news from all over the world instead of Paris Hilton coverage... well except for Drudge, he has just loads of stuff on his site.

Proper news reporting is so hard to find. And I'm not talking about a conservative or liberal slant, but just honest news stories. Everything seems political, marketing or just plain bickering. I'm specifically not looking for NY Times, CNN, Fox News, NBC, BBC, et al, etc.

So where can I go not only to find current news, but interesting news?

I go with drudge. It is a nice snapshot of a wide variety of sources from all over the spectrum.

I don't think that there is any news source that doesn't color the stories somehow, and I'm not sure that it is truly possible to give "just the facts" without doing so. Part of the reason why could be because they are trying to sell the news, so they want to make it as interesting as possible for their audience.

Online, I simply go to multiple sources depending on what I'm interested in reading about.

The Economist (one of the best news magazines there is)

+1 for the Economist. I read it once, canceled all my newspaper subscriptions, and signed up for it. I've never looked back; it's, in my opinion, the world's preeminent news publication, and one of the only ones I'll actually read, front to back, in its entirety.

Cheers,

Justin

Top Bottom