What's new

Where do you go for News?

Usually BBC 4 for news and radio- via internet:biggrin: from work

local- will usually be NPR- still leans one way or the other at times- but evens out eventually Via radio

Well, there are many who like to say that NPR has a heavy liberal bias, and although I don't really perceive it myself......

Not so much Liberal in the Dem. party sense, but they are consistently pro-state/anti-market. Then again that is the industry standard, whether the outlet is nominally conservative or liberal. PBS/NPR is just a bit more upfront about it than some others.

Just check out this Cavuto interview with Ron Paul (the least statist presidential candidate) - remember this is the business anchor for Fox.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D2rVCI9-tSI

NPR covers interesting sideline stories the corporate outlets don't. Though these are often fluffy and superficial, the occasional "gee that's neat" gets through.

The main gripe I have with NPR is their news reader style - an Americanized BBC delivery that somehow manages to be simultaneously sleep inducing and nerve grating.

Not so much Liberal in the Dem. party sense, but they are consistently pro-state/anti-market. Then again that is the industry standard, whether the outlet is nominally conservative or liberal. PBS/NPR is just a bit more upfront about it than some others.

Just check out this Cavuto interview with Ron Paul (the least statist presidential candidate) - remember this is the business anchor for Fox.

Interesting point... although I don't really perceive a "pro-state/anti-market" stance in NPR either, they are a public, taxpayer-funded entity. If taken to a wholly "free market capitalist" extreme, NPR wouldn't exist. I'm unsure of Ron Paul's position on NPR/PBS -- which makes me want to do some digging especially since a couple of important bits of public broadcasting legislation have come through in the past two years.

Sadly, it seemed like that interview had more to do with his take on the "civil disobedience" of refusing to pay taxes than the actual issue at hand.

The main gripe I have with NPR is their news reader style - an Americanized BBC delivery that somehow manages to be simultaneously sleep inducing and nerve grating.

Its such a shame some of their anchors can be so dry -- while I LOVE Diane Rehm's interviews, and have the utmost sympathy for her condition, its really difficult to listen to her show anymore without feeling like I'm mentally trudging through her vocal mud. And then, if you listen to "World Have Your Say," the BBC anchor is infinitely more engaging and stimulating to listen to.

I'm unsure of Ron Paul's position on NPR/PBS -- which makes me want to do some digging especially since a couple of important bits of public broadcasting legislation have come through in the past two years.

He voted against any funding for it. His spending votes are always NO if the program is not expressly called out in the constitution. He is the most consistent congressman in U.S. history - you can predict his vote every time.

Sadly, it seemed like that interview had more to do with his take on the "civil disobedience" of refusing to pay taxes than the actual issue at hand.

Paul did not do well in the interview from my perspective (I oppose all taxes - theft is theft), Paul (like Ed Brown) is only against the income tax because it's not in the constitution.
But I did not post the link to show his views. Rather I wanted to show how the 'conservative' host of the FOX show is so wedded to statist assumptions that he can not envision society WITHOUT the income tax. The one zinger Paul did get in was to point out that the 'building behind him' was built long before there was an income tax.

US News & World Report - Not great, but better than Time or Newsweek.
The Atlantic Monthly - Thoughtful coverage of important topics.
Christian Science Monitor - I wish I had time to read it every day.

I also listen to NPR, and sometimes catch NBC News on the idiot box.
I took the equivalent of a minor in Journalism in college, and was an associate editor of the college paper. The main thing I learned was that reporters frequently have little actual knowledge of the subjects they write about.

Norm

The Wall Street Journal is still pretty good; I liked it better when they didn't cover any fluff. The Washington Post is good; alas their weekly edition is no longer available. PBS Nightly News with Jim Lehrer is good. Online the Huffington Post has headlines but a liberal slant and some fluff. The Economist is written for smart people; too much information sometimes. The decline of the newspaper industry saddens me. I don't like everything on Hardball on MSNBC but I like the table-of-contents list of stories at the start so I can jump to what interests me.

The Wall Street Journal is still pretty good; I liked it better when they didn't cover any fluff. The Washington Post is good; alas their weekly edition is no longer available. PBS Nightly News with Jim Lehrer is good. Online the Huffington Post has headlines but a liberal slant and some fluff. The Economist is written for smart people; too much information sometimes. The decline of the newspaper industry saddens me. I don't like everything on Hardball on MSNBC but I like the table-of-contents list of stories at the start so I can jump to what interests me.

This thread is three years old...

I don't believe there is an unbiased news service. I read the Seattle Times everyday and watch a little bit of news on NBC, CBS, or ABC for the liberal view. I then read news article from the fox website for the conservative view. I then figure out for myself what is the truth.

Wall Street Journal (I have the newspaper subscription and online version) www.wsj.com

Heritage Foundation www.heritage.org (Online version) I am a member of the foundation.

Daily Events http://content.eaglepub.com/?ldKg.Fku0MDibhG3yzX3kaVciHWsASMRl

The Starting Point http://news.yahoo.com/starting-point

I also use AL.com which covers the state of ALa. Your state may have the equivalent. AL.com covers the 4 largest cities: Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile.

I also check the TheNewsVault.com for crazy and unusual and sometimes NSFW issues.

That's about all the time I have to read news however: my homepage on internet explorer is set to Fox News.

The problem is that there is too much "news". They have to fill time.

Most of this so-called news is meant to manipulate you, and to raise your blood pressure.

There's some thread necromancy for you!

I listen to NPR and the BBC, and I occasionally spin through the shortwave frequencies for English broadcasts which, sadly, are fewer today.

Online, I usually head to Fark and Reddit. I also browse several English sites in Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, France, Germany, the UK, Ireland, Australia, and Japan. There are lots of interesting stories out there that never make it to the US.

and (shock) I actually get the Boston Globe!

Hey, pal, so do I! What's wrong with that?

Of course, I would never get that biased, right-wing, nutjob-packed, Murdoch-polluted, lips-moving piece of fish-wrapping tabloid trash disguising itself as the Boston Herald. No siree bob!

:lol:

Jeff in Boston

For news, I like the Wall Street Journal and Real Clear Politics. While RCP does produce some original content, which is quite good, a large portion of the site is links to others' articles. Refreshingly, the articles are a good mix of conservative and liberal viewpoints.

I also regularly read Jonah Goldberg, Amity Shlaes, Carrie Lukas and, of course, Charles Krauthammer.

NPR, New York Times, and LA Times everyday. Also, Economist occasionally, although I used to like it better before it became so popular (hmm, do I have hipster d-bag syndrome?). And for more in-depth stories, I like the New Yorker and the Atlantic. I often find a topic will "break" in the Economist, New Yorker, or Atlantic and then the cable news outlets and newspapers will pick up on it. When you can trace something to its source, you can consider yourself informed IMHO.

The Onion! :laugh:

In all honesty though, I stick to NPR for good radio news or the Financial Times for some good online and print news. More so related to the financial world, but I enjoy it.

Top Bottom