What's new

Where do you BBS aim?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Any discussion regarding results should take into consideration that each shavers face, skin and whiskers will present different levels of complexity. Mapping your beard is extremely important.

With my face, skin and beard it takes multiple (5 to 6 minimum) passes from different directions and using a Big Dog razor to get a true BBS.

Sorry, it's not that important to me.

I do three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) plus touchups (including diagonals, j-hooks and Gillette Slides). The result is the result - usually DFS to DFS++ with the occasional "accidental" BBS.

And yes, after 50+ years of shaving, my technique is pretty darn good. ;)
But.... Are you like myself, and STILL incredibly handsome after all these decades, my friend?

THAT is the true test of technique!

Just ask my dear ol' Mom if you doubt my incredible handsomeness!

Any discussion regarding results should take into consideration that each shavers face, skin and whiskers will present different levels of complexity. Mapping your beard is extremely important.

With my face, skin and beard it takes multiple (5 to 6 minimum) passes from different directions and using a Big Dog razor to get a true BBS.

Sorry, it's not that important to me.

I do three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) plus touchups (including diagonals, j-hooks and Gillette Slides). The result is the result - usually DFS to DFS++ with the occasional "accidental" BBS.

And yes, after 50+ years of shaving, my technique is pretty darn good. ;)
Pretty much my routine but, in my world, DFS is for quitters! ;) Sometimes that attitude has cost me over the years but like I keep saying, this is my one area of OCD. We've been shaving about as long as each other.

I've decided very recently to stop chasing the BBS, especially on the front of my chin, as it takes much too long and just leads to irritation and weepers.

Still going ATG on my cheeks and neck, but no more than a WTG and XTG on the chin area, with a bit of WTG clean-up, just until I get no audible feedback.

BBS is not worth it to me, and my DE shaves are still FAR better than my old carts and electric.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@rbscebu had an interesting post here about how long a BBS lasts.

He and others talked about where they try for BBS shaves. It didn't occur to me that after 100s of shaves if BBS was someone's goal they wouldn't attempt it wherever they shave.

Currently I'm attempting DFS everywhere, while secretly hoping for BBS. I'm achieving DFS on my cheeks and nearly always getting a SAS everywhere else. That's my current skill level without cutting my face up. This is after 30+ shaves.

So.. what do strive for around your face and regularly achieve?

Also, I think I'm not tagging people correctly. We shall see when I hit post...
Whatever I can get in five minutes or less which is DFS. I never bother going for BBS.

I've decided very recently to stop chasing the BBS, especially on the front of my chin, as it takes much too long and just leads to irritation and weepers.

Still going ATG on my cheeks and neck, but no more than a WTG and XTG on the chin area, with a bit of WTG clean-up, just until I get no audible feedback.

BBS is not worth it to me, and my DE shaves are still FAR better than my old carts and electric.
My dirty little secret for those tough areas that I miss even when I thought I'd gotten them, is my handy dandy Norelco resting in it's charging stand. Like you, the chin can be an issue for me as I have a small cleft that can make it challenging for some razors. Also, the angle of my rear bottom jaw, especially on the left side. I have no shame in using the Norelco for touch-ups there after I've given them my best shots with all my little tricks. Of course, that's why I'm not allowed in any of the clubs here... :D

I gladly admit that chasing the BBS shave is a fool's errand, especially as you only get a few hours if you're lucky. But, apparently, Momma did raise at least one fool. ;)

My dirty little secret for those tough areas that I miss even when I thought I'd gotten them, is my handy dandy Norelco resting in it's charging stand. Like you, the chin can be an issue for me as I have a small cleft that can make it challenging for some razors. Also, the angle of my rear bottom jaw, especially on the left side. I have no shame in using the Norelco for touch-ups there after I've given them my best shots with all my little tricks. Of course, that's why I'm not allowed in any of the clubs here... :D

I gladly admit that chasing the BBS shave is a fool's errand, especially as you only get a few hours if you're lucky. But, apparently, Momma did raise at least one fool. ;)

I never could get anywhere close to BBS with my Norelco. Maybe I didn't use it correctly, but the best I ever achieved was a socially acceptable shave. In fact, there were areas that always required touchup with a cartridge, just to get smooth when feeling WTG...at least in my case.

No cleft here, but I struggle mainly in the Fu Manchu areas (just below the corners of my mouth), and below my lower lip, which seem to be the most sensitive areas of my face - most easily irritated and bloodied.

I never could get anywhere close to BBS with my Norelco. Maybe I didn't use it correctly, but the best I ever achieved was a socially acceptable shave. In fact, there were areas that always required touchup with a cartridge, just to get smooth when feeling WTG...at least in my case.

No cleft here, but I struggle mainly in the Fu Manchu areas (just below the corners of my mouth), and below my lower lip, which seem to be the most sensitive areas of my face - most easily irritated and bloodied.
No, the Norelco sucks as does Braun. But what it does do it catch those strays you missed with your real razor. I have the issues as you do in those other spots as well and the Norelco helps me get them cleaned up. I've gone through periods with a Norelco and end up with lousy shaves, bumps, and ingrowns. But it does the trick for these little things if they matter to you as much as they, unfortunately, do to me!

No, the Norelco sucks...

This made me literally laugh out loud...because it is the honest truth in my experience.

My dad used a Norelco and I know he got great results. I remember talking to him about which electric was best, and he said "come 'ere and feel this" and his cheek was BBS. So again, maybe it was me.

I liked the Norelco for mowing down a week-old beard, which I did frequently and I suppose that's a lot to ask from any razor with a plug, but I never got anything better than a clean look, and never a truly close shave.

Top Bottom