What's new

Where do you BBS aim?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I go for a BBS on Sundays because I wear a tie and don't want any sandpaper feeling on my shirt collar. Even then it's primarily my neck I shave BBS. My face is usually very smooth without shaving ATG (after two passes, WTG & XTG), so I usually stop there.
This is pretty much what I do. If I get a BBS it's probably dumb luck!

I go for BBS on each and every shave. Have actually gone into some shaves to purposefully not attempt it (even when the skin is a bit raw) but always cave and end up with at least one ATG pass

I get the BBS nearly every shave (9 out of 10 for sure) and when I dont its DFS+ but I dont always come out well from it..
Just like with guitar, practice but make it perfect practice.

I go for BBS on each and every shave. Have actually gone into some shaves to purposefully not attempt it...but always cave and end up with at least one ATG pass.

This. Although to be fair, I only generate enough stubble to shave every couple days. But I simply cannot help chasing that baby, and confess to being a "face-toucher" the rest of the day after a lovely shave. I've ready every post on avoiding ATG, but WTG just doesn't satisfy. As my technique improves, seems to work out fine.
And discovering that my ugly mug prefers GEM-type SEs also made a big difference. Looking forward to SE September.

Does not werk with drums.

Practice just angers your wife, family, neighbors, the police....

Or so I've been told!
The police just love lecturing people with their opinions, almost as if they imagine we are interested in what they think because of their official costumes. Who do they think they are? Why don’t they just catch robbers like they are supposed to, instead of whining about your drums?

FarmerTan

Just need to have a remote studio on the property and be a half mile from the neighbors. That's where my Sonor drum kit is. ;)
I met a kid last week that made a set of electrical drums. He put pads on a decent set of accoustic (sp?) drums. A tiny little set, like an 11" bass I think?

Anyway, I MAY have the lovely War Department convinced to let me buy a set, just to play along with headphones. My heart and lungs are less than stellar, and walking BORES me, as I'm a retired RN, and I obviously can't walk as fast as I got paid to, so I need a work out I'll stick with.

And my 1969 Gretch drums are too big and loud for her to put up with... So, that is my plan. Spend some money before it goes to the Estate, lol!

FarmerTan

The police just love lecturing people with their opinions, almost as if they imagine we are interested in what they think because of their official costumes. Who do they think they are? Why don’t they just catch robbers like they are supposed to, instead of whining about your drums?
I've actually never had, oops, just ONCE had the cops called on me for excessive noise.

But there was also a person hit by a slow moving car that time, and I don't consider my loudish gig to be completely to blame.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I get what I get with a single WTG straight razor pass. I don’t know from BBS, not concerned. I get great shaves. On rare occasions I’ll add a second pass just for kicks, might be digging a certain soap brush combo idk. Regardless, I support all styles of shaving to satisfy preferences. Shave on!

In theory I’m going for BBS every time, but I’ve learned not to force it. Sometimes it just ain’t in the cards, and you have to go with what the circumstances allow you. Sometimes the blade is off. Or the lather. Sometimes I’m off. If things aren’t going right, I’ve learned to quit while I’m ahead. A single pass to knock of the whiskers is better than three uncomfortable passes that become irritating a few hours later.

I go for BBS every time, assuming a decent DE blade that I think is up to the job. I shave every other day, so irritation is less of an issue. If I get a really close shave, I’m socially acceptable for the entire morning of the second day. Otherwise, I’m pretty stubbly 24 hours later.

I don’t chase BBS, but I chase my ATG pass.

I have light colored skin and dense coverage. WTG can be acceptable, but it feels like I haven’t shaved. Or shaved 6h ago.

And it certainly looks that way too.

So what I aim is a comfortable ATG pass, it may not deliver that perfect BBS some days, but at least that shiny glass finish look is there.

I do not aim for a specific result. I almost always do a two pass shave and try to focus on my technique. I usually get a DFS, maybe a little better is some spots or a little worse in others. I seriously doubt if I will ever get a BBS with a straight razor.

I don’t chase BBS, but I chase my ATG pass.

I have light colored skin and dense coverage. WTG can be acceptable, but it feels like I haven’t shaved. Or shaved 6h ago.

And it certainly looks that way too.

So what I aim is a comfortable ATG pass, it may not deliver that perfect BBS some days, but at least that shiny glass finish look is there.

spot on how i feel 👍

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
BBS is always the ultimate goal of any shave. I have some spots on my neck and jaw line that grow in a flattened swirling pattern. This makes it incredibly difficult to get a full cotton-ball-tested BBS. But BBS is always the goal. The brass ring. The prize. I don't go crazy trying for a BBS. I just do my regular 3 pass shave, with minimal touch ups if any. My face always gets to BBS quite easily. It's those trouble spots that may have a bit of a rough touch when rubbing against the grain. Regardless I can get a DFS+ result regularly. BBS is a nice surprise when it happens. Got one yesterday that lasted about 18 hours. It was on a WR1 .80 OC with a Platinum blade (new light blue box). Omnibus 42 was the software kit. All the stars lined up, and a BBS was the result. Great shave. As jealous as I am of guys that can get a BBS with any old setup, I think the degree of challenge for me to reach a BBS makes it so much more special when it happens.

Can't help myself, I try for bbs every time. Have just over the last month been able to get a true bbs shave. Have a trouble spot on one side of my neck and can't always get totally smooth shave in that area. I just have to be satisfied with what I get. I am also a face toucher. just can't help myself.

Without really trying, I almost always get BBS on 90% of my face. I do no prep, use bath soap and do a quick 2 pass shave (WTG, ATG). Then I’ll clean up 2 weird areas where the grain runs every which way.

I can’t say that my technique is perfect, but I have been doing this awhile and I keep it simple, which helps, I believe. Too much complexity in gear, accessories and technique are anathema to good results.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Any discussion regarding results should take into consideration that each shavers face, skin and whiskers will present different levels of complexity. Mapping your beard is extremely important.

With my face, skin and beard it takes multiple (5 to 6 minimum) passes from different directions and using a Big Dog razor to get a true BBS.

Sorry, it's not that important to me.

I do three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) plus touchups (including diagonals, j-hooks and Gillette Slides). The result is the result - usually DFS to DFS++ with the occasional "accidental" BBS.

And yes, after 50+ years of shaving, my technique is pretty darn good. ;)

Top Bottom