What's new

Where do TSA confiscated straights go ?

Yeah, no case xx on there or even bucks... I don't have much love for them between the thieving and the groping of women and who knows what else...

eBay or the other places where TSA-confiscated items are sold. Search eBay for TSA, you'll get a chance to buy all the secondhand SAKs and other pocketknives you could ask for. Found an auction for a couple dozen tucks of DE razor blades that way too. Probably not too many straight razors, just because not enough guys use them who forget they have them in their luggage that too many would be confiscated.

TSA confiscates a lot of weird stuff, but the vintage rusty railroad tie is one that seems harmless to me...
tsa2.jpg
tsa1.jpg
tsa6.jpg
tsa7.jpg
TSA-reveals-shocking-things-passengers-tried-to-sneak-on-board.jpg

If I forgot my straight razor in my carry-on - unless it was a Gold Dollar - I'd take the time to mail it home. Purely hypothetical for me at this point since I haven't traveled anywhere since getting a SR.

The item on the table that surprises me is the crimping tool. I know that is is a "tool", but if I were to select a tool to use as a weapon, a crimping tool would be at the bottom of the list. It is neither heavy enough or pointed enough to be much of a threat or a defense. A railroad spike, on the other hand, could be useful.

I don't have much love for them between the thieving and the groping of women and who knows what else...

Neither do I. That's why I previously posted that I've traveled multiple times round trip with a tuck DE blades in my carry on in this type of metal holder:
DE.jpeg
4 flights now with no issues. The worst that could happen is they get confiscated, and that's why I travel with a disposable Mach III just in case :)

And I would never even try to travel with a straight.

I wouldn't pay them in cat litter.... Greater than 70% failure rate to detect what they are paid to detect, rampant theft, groping women, groping children... The shutdown and them squirming out of their job any which way they could for as many days as possible exposed another massive hole in the whole setup.... Anytime you let the federal government stick their nose too far into anything, the rot sets in and deeply..

Neither do I. That's why I previously posted that I've traveled multiple times round trip with a tuck DE blades in my carry on in this type of metal holder:
View attachment 1044131
4 flights now with no issues. The worst that could happen is they get confiscated, and that's why I travel with a disposable Mach III just in case :)

And I would never even try to travel with a straight.

Well, it'll probably get taken from you at some point. There is an eBay listing for a bunch of DE razor blades that have been confiscated by TSA, and the lot does include a few dispensers like that.

I wouldn't pay them in cat litter.... Greater than 70% failure rate to detect what they are paid to detect, rampant theft, groping women, groping children... The shutdown and them squirming out of their job any which way they could for as many days as possible exposed another massive hole in the whole setup.... Anytime you let the federal government stick their nose too far into anything, the rot sets in and deeply..

There is an expression that "if you pay peanuts, you're going to get monkeys." Which is to say that low wages draw low quality workers. That will happen whether the hiring entity is private or public. And that's what we get for our money.

If you agree to do a job you have an obligation to do the job properly whether it is stocking a shelf, being a surgeon, or rummaging through baggage looking for prohibited content. Tsa employee is not a gig economy job, you know what you are getting into.. There's enough jobs one can apply for in this world where the law of averages says you are bound to find one that doesn't make you and by extension everytone you interact with miserbale. Their track record is notably ridiculous...

If you agree to do a job you have an obligation to do the job properly whether it is stocking a shelf, being a surgeon, or rummaging through baggage looking for prohibited content. Tsa employee is not a gig economy job, you know what you are getting into.. There's enough jobs one can apply for in this world where the law of averages says you are bound to find one that doesn't make you and by extension everytone you interact with miserbale. Their track record is notably ridiculous...

They do know what they're getting into. They're working off of a policy manual developed by other people, with no real right or ability to make judgment calls beyond defaulting to confiscate when there is any doubt. And there are never enough of them to handle the demand load, causing delays and rushed work of subpar quality. Security has worked that way everywhere I've dealt with it, whether private or public.

Had an unopened bag [emoji161] of those little cheeses [emoji893] in wax, wrapped in colorful cellophane in my luggage. We got home and opened luggage [emoji3466], on top is a red paper from TSA talking about inspection. Under it was my now OPENED bag of little cheeses [emoji893] in wax, wrapped in colorful cellophane. They needed to eat 3 of them before deciding it was not C-4. Glad I didn’t pack a bottle of wine [emoji485]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom