What's new

Where do I start?

I too am relatively new, my first purchases were a Merkur 34C, Simpson Trafalgar brush and a tub of TOBS. From what I've read here many would say I'm set for life. Just because, I switched to soaps, my favorite is Wholly Kaw, super slick, pretty easy to lather. I have not loved the 34C, took a chance on this new Hensen razor and now I really think I'm set for life! Been getting the best shaves of my life.

Welcome to the forum Herman Melville!!
My advice: Get a simple razor like a vintage Tech. They are mild shavers. Try Astra blades, they pair well in a Tech. And as for soap or cream Proraso makes a decent product. And good aftershave. These are economical items that won’t break the bank.... BUT if these products don’t work then follow other shavers input. My advice may not work for everyone!

Keep it simple and, at least until you’re sure you’re gonna stay with it, keep it cheap. I’m a big fan of Lord products. Their L5 and L6 are extraordinary razors at $10 or less and all their blade brands are excellent. Gillette Techs are nearly universally loved and are available online for $10 - 15 or in antique stores for $5 or so. My daily brush is a $4 VDH from a drug store. Use Williams ($1) or bath soap and there’s no shame in canned lather.
An interesting alternative is the Schick injector. A nice G or J can be had for $10 or $15 and Chinese Schick blades from the drugstore, 7 for $3, but you can get 10 shaves out of one. The Schick is completely intuitive; there is no learning curve. The angle is built in, you can apply pressure or not, it is completely boob-proof.

Gentlemen, I had been wet shaving for several years and treating my skin right as I used to wear suits daily. As I got older, I got lazier. For several years I have been shower shaving with good results, but it's not as refreshing or as close as wet shaving. My wet shaving equipment is rudimentary, Wal-mart mug and brush set, Vanderhagen soap, and a DSC executive razor.
Looking to up my game in all directions. If you were new to wet shaving, what do you wish someone had recommended to you?

How is shower shaving different from wet shaving?

Top Bottom