What's new

Where do all the old blades go?

While working my way through a sampler pack and some donated blades I have and researching which new blades to try, a thought can to mind. What happens to all the old used up blades? Do they just end up in the landfill or is there some sort of recycling available?

$09101136.jpg

+1 On the red sharps container. Allows proper disposal and protects future generations by safely melting the then recycle, at least according to the people who work at our local sharps recycle place.

I'm filling up an old broth can that I turned into a blade bank. There's a thread somewhere about it, but it is basically a broth can with a slit cut in the top wide enough to accept a blade. When it's full, tap it with a hammer to seal it, then toss it in the recycling.

I drop mine into a glass jar filled with water. After a few months there's nothing but a red sludge at the bottom. I dry this out mix it with eggs, flower, and chocolate chips. Form into balls and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes or until done. Then I put them on a plate and into the fridge at work where the same person who steals my lunch takes them.

I drop mine into a glass jar filled with water. After a few months there's nothing but a red sludge at the bottom. I dry this out mix it with eggs, flower, and chocolate chips. Form into balls and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes or until done. Then I put them on a plate and into the fridge at work where the same person who steals my lunch takes them.

i just about did a spit-take reading this! LOL

This is worthy of a slow clap.

I collect them in an Altoids tin. When it's full, i tape it shut and bring it for recycling. One problem though. Altoids are not being sold in the Netherlands, so one day, I will run out of tins. :sob:

Can't wait to try this! :w00t:

I put them in my blade bank, flatten it out when full, and recycle them.

Very interesting, was wondering where you were going with this
BUT
does it really rust that fast ? what about adding salt to water, it might accelerate the process (it works on our cars here in Quebec )

I'm using an old 35mm slide box with a slot cut in the top as a blade bank. I think I have about 2 years worth of blades in there and it is not full yet. When it is full it will go in the trash. I have one of those white blade banks from WCS on deck to use in a year or so.

Top Bottom