What's new

Where can you get glycerin?

Hi guys,

I read a post somewhere about the benefits of glycerin as a pre-shave to help get a smoother shave. But, I don't remember where you can buy such an item. Does anyone know what general type of store carries this?

Continuing on the path to BBS. Thanks to everyone for all their help and kindness.:thumbup:

I found some in Walgreens. I think it was in the moisturizer section, but you may want to ask. Most RX should have it.

Jordan

Whole Foods has 100% glycerine in the cosmetics section---but I had to ask, couldn't find it myself. Any health-food store should have it. My drugstore had a 10% glycerine solution (with artifical rose stench), but you want 100% glycerine.

Some Walgreen's carry it (by the first-aid section, in my experience)
WholeFoods carries Vegetable Glycerin (near the aloe products)

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. They are very much appreciated. I have a Whole Foods nearby in Plano, so I will visit them this weekend. I also have to get some Thayers Witch Hazel - I went to a free standing GNC yesterday and they never heard of it, so I guess I will have to go to a mall location. Worst case, I can get it at Whole Foods and just pay the higher price. That may cost less than running around to malls.

Thanks again and take care, everyone.

Hi,

I have heard that applying undiluted glycerol (glycerine) to skin will dehydrate it, although I have not verified this myself. I would probably dilute it with some water. It will last longer as well. :smile:

Dave.

DLB said:
Hi,

I have heard that applying undiluted glycerol (glycerine) to skin will dehydrate it, although I have not verified this myself. I would probably dilute it with some water. It will last longer as well. :smile:

Dave.

This is true. I'm not sure what original poster's intention in obtaining glycerine is, but I use it for:

1) pour some on Williams mug soap before lathering (though I haven't used this soap in a while

2) a splash in my vinegar/h20 brush-cleaning solution

You could purify some dynamite... to obtain the gycerin from that! Hmm, okay not the best option or least expensive.

Joe & Dave,

I was really going to use it on my face as a pre-shave. Good info on diluting it with water before, or not even doing that period. Maybe I dreamed that I read a thread that recommended it for a pre-shave for increased smoothness. I can't find it anywhere.:confused1

Maybe it would be best just to use it as a brush prep aid during cleaning with the vinegar. I wish I could find that thread. :mad:

Thanks for the responses.

Larry C in Texas said:
Joe & Dave,

I was really going to use it on my face as a pre-shave. Good info on diluting it with water before, or not even doing that period. Maybe I dreamed that I read a thread that recommended it for a pre-shave for increased smoothness. I can't find it anywhere.:confused1

Maybe it would be best just to use it as a brush prep aid during cleaning with the vinegar. I wish I could find that thread. :mad:

Thanks for the responses.

Larry,

You might be thinking of applying GFT Skin Food (which contains glycerin - in diluted form)

As for cleaning brush, its quite simple:

1 part vinegar
9 part water
splash glycerin

soak for 10 minutes

As a pre-shave, you're applying only a couple of drops of glycerin to your wet beard just before you lather. I don't think you'll experience any dehydration from that.

At my local Target Phamacy, I picked up a 4 oz poly bottle of 100% glycerin for the whopping total of $2.09 plus sales tax. It wasn't out on the shelves; I asked for it and they had it behind the counter.

A few drops on the fingertips rubbed into the beard as a pre-shave won't dry your face out. Just do your regular post-shave regimine and you'll be nice and soft and smooth.

-- John Gehman

Thanks gents. It seems like its a key ingredient in shave creams, some balms, moisturizers, some hair products, etc. I could see myself mixing a little into a shave cream or balm or pre shave for some added moisture and glide, even adding some to the hair.
Regards,

When used as an emollient, glycerol should never be applied undiluted to the skin. The same powerful hygroscopic property that draws moisture out of the air to moisten the skin will draw moisture out of the skin if the glycerol is too concentrated. A minimum of two or three parts water should be added to one part glycerol.

So yes, 100% glycerine (glycerol is the same thing) will actually remove moisture from you face, so cut it with plenty of water.

I got my glycerin at Whole Foods, along with some "premium priced" Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel (I checked 2 GNC's with no luck). First I cleaned by C&E Pure brush with the vinegar/water/glycerine mixture with much success. Then, I mixed a couple of drops in the Proraso pre-shave I used last night and I thought it worked great. A smoother shave with no skipping or tugging. Maybe it was just my imagination, but this was a Derby blade on it's fourth shave, so a new blade wasn't in play. The Thayers was a good upgrade from the Dickinson's (which had alcohol mixed in with it) for a follow-on to the alum block.

Anyway, thanks to everyone and I'm now a convert to the glycerin.

YMMV.

Top Bottom