What's new

where can i get a good budget straight

New razors of decent quality start at $125, at the least. You can get a used vintage razor for $20 or more on the "bay". But that's another whole conversation, as you must know how to select and how to prepare the blade for shaving. Good luck.

Bought a modified Gold Dollar for way under 50 bucks and it shaves great. A bunch of people modify them and put on good edges for people starting out. I'm sure someone will chime in if a forum member here does in fact sell those. It's a decent razor for the price, and will NOT be your last!

Bought a modified Gold Dollar for way under 50 bucks and it shaves great. A bunch of people modify them and put on good edges for people starting out. I'm sure someone will chime in if a forum member here does in fact sell those. It's a decent razor for the price, and will NOT be your last!

Crescent City Razors will. I can't think of any other reputable sources (I'm sure they're out there, but I can't speak to them).

or check the BST here.

I don't think Whipped Dog is very active these days, at least on razors.

I would recommend the Badger & Blade BST. Once you have the minimum posts required, post an ad in the BST section. Who knows, you might even be able to score a good starter strop as well.

Yes, Crescent City Razors will give you a very good shave ready razor well under your budget. It will be a Gold Dollar razor. I didn't think of that earlier, but it is a perfect starting place. And you definitely need a strop.

A Slash McCoy razor is going to very sharp. In addition to a leather/canvas strop, I would recommend you put together a diamond pasted balsa strop (Check "The Method" threads for details). If you keep that Gold Dollar tuned up with the leather strop and the balsa strop, it may never need to see stones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow thanks for the votes of confidence, but I am not selling any razors at the moment. I was spending too much time on honing an not enough time (zero, actually) just goofing off, an I AM retired, you know. I am out of it for at least the next month. I got hunting and fishing and beer drinking to do. Plus a very long honeydew list.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My first razor from whipped dog sight unseen.
Is he even doing the sight unseen anymore?
No, he isn't doing the sight unseens. I actually bought a couple, when he still did them. It was always kind of exciting to see what you got, when it came in the mail. They were probably the best buy in razors, at the time. Nothing fancy, usually, but serviceable and shave ready, and cheap. A lot of newbies got their start with Whipped Dog razors and strops, and later, brushes. I have three of his long handle 30mm silvertips. He still has a few razors listed on his website, www.whippeddog.com. I can't wholeheartedly recommend his poor man strop unless you are on a squeaky tight budget, but his "rich man" strop looks pretty good. Larry also loves to help newbies get started and believes in service after the sale.

If you see something on fleabay that might suit you, as long as it is a "Buy It Now" and not an open, live auction, i think it is perfectly okay to post here and get some input before you buy. There are a few sellers on fleabay who are known and respected in the community that it is safe to buy from.

april17th1989 on eBay has a large supply of good quality Japanese razors for $45 to $50. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with many of the brands. There is, however, a Cape 1372 that looks pretty good but would benefit from a little wet/dry sandpaper. Not sure if you want to get into this or not.

I would suggest fleabay searching under "Straight Razor Shave Ready". As stated above go the buy it now route, (although I my last one bidding).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
april17th1989 on eBay has a large supply of good quality Japanese razors for $45 to $50. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with many of the brands. There is, however, a Cape 1372 that looks pretty good but would benefit from a little wet/dry sandpaper. Not sure if you want to get into this or not.
Yeah he's one of the good ones. I have bought from him.
<EDIT> but that seller name might be april7th1989.

I have bought some of his NOS razors and they are priced well below what you may find on etsy or the bay. He has a fantastic selection. He told me that he has been collecting for a long time but the obsession has faded so he is letting lots of stuff go. I have my eye on quite a few of his razors.

Top Bottom