What's new

Where are my Anti-RAD minimalist brothers!

A common thread seems to be that minimalists = newbies. I'm in that camp myself. Would I like to have 30 Simpsons brushes to rotate? Sure. Can I afford that? Heck no.

So being new and without gobs of disposable income for shaving gear, I'm by default a minimalist. 38C, Semogue SOC, a blade sampler, and a few soaps and creams. If I do have an AD, it's soaps and creams, but it's mild so far. I did just spring for two tins of Mike's Natural soaps. Between that and what I already had, I'm set for a good long while.

But someday, I have to try MWF, and Tabac, and Cella, and Arko, and TOBS, and AOS, and DR Harris, and ... and... :001_tongu I work in NYC and I've never been to Pasteur's. The day I get there might be an expensive one.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
A common thread seems to be that minimalists = newbies.

I'm sure that's true to some extent, but I don't think it's generally true. It certainly hasn't been for me. But I came into DE shaving late, so I've applied myself to making up for lost years.

I thought to myself,"Thank goodness I never developed RAD".....then I counted the razors I had. At one point, I had six. I am down to 4 total, of which I only use 3 (R89 Rosegold, D89 Barley Chrome, Feather AS). The one I dont use is my birth quarter/year Gillette Slim, which gets a retention pass even though I dont like how it shaves.

Of the three active duty; I could use just one of them forever. I love the looks of the R89 and DE89 and I love the rugged solid Feather. If the Feather came with the same slick polished finish of the R89/D89 - that would be the one to rule them all.

Blades: I just use Feathers, bought 400 on B/S/T for a good price and I am done for about 5 yrs.

Software: I did go through an "experimentation period" and some mistakes were made - but I have settled into stuff I like and I am reasonably content. There are 7 soaps and 5 creams that I like to use and as they are finished I will get to 5 soaps / 3 creams

Brushes: I dont want to talk about these right now

Any shaving soap I have now is gifted and I been using the Merkur HD as my DE exclusively since 2010. The exciting task now is using up all the stuff from my ADs from 2009-10

Hey don't get me wrong. It's not like I'll never buy another shaving item besides blades and cream. It's just that right now I'm tired of spending money. (Though I have been researching a Mergress for a future buy.) Damn, the AD's starting again!

I have settled on a vintage tech, some porasso/bigelow or Kiss my face cream, Astra blades, a simpson colonel brush, and then either Nievea or Nutragena aftershave balm.

I am getting great shaves and am very happy with this set up.

I only have 1 razor and 1 brush. I have an Edwin Jagger 89 and a VDH brush. I have a few different blades (sampler packs) but just bought my first 100 pack of Astra's recently. I have a bit more weakness when it comes to AS, I have about 6 that I rotate, and 2 creams. I really did switch to DE shaving to save money and actually have. Now I will readily admit that I want an open comb razor, figuring I have a bar now, add an open comb for a change of pace.

Top Bottom