What's new

Where are all the English Red Tips?

Hi All,

I know there were more U.S. Red Tip Super Speeds made than English RT SSs or RT Rockets but sheesh! I can't find English RT Super Speeds or RT Rockets anywhere. What gives?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Don't know where they are. I have been lucky enough to pick up 2 Red Tips but both are American made.

In England? :p

I have found some locally in South Africa (we were a British colony back then) and I'm sure you will find some in Australia as well.

In England? :p

I have found some locally in South Africa (we were a British colony back then) and I'm sure you will find some in Australia as well.
You won’t find any vintage English Red Tip in our Aussie backyard, because they’ve all been sold many years ago to UK and US wet shavers. I’ve been hunting for English Red Tip for nearly 3 years now, and the only Red Tip I’ve got was the American Gillette Red Tip no English Red Tip.

Dunno. I have only seen a couple for sale for the last couple of years. I got a Rocket RT but it cost me a bundle.

Same actually goes for Rocket blue tips.

Yeah, well its something to shoot for on the horizon.

I just bought one on Etsy a short while ago but I only saw the one.

I saw an English red tip SS on Etsy earlier in the year that seemed to be in good user grade shape. I should have nabbed it. I wonder if its the one you have. How does it shave?

Yeah, well its something to shoot for on the horizon.

I saw an English red tip SS on Etsy earlier in the year that seemed to be in good user grade shape. I should have nabbed it. I wonder if its the one you have. How does it shave?
I don't have it yet but I'll let you know as soon as I have tried it. When I say I bought it a short while ago, I mean a few hours ago! I'm not sure if it's the same one....it looks quite nice in the pictures. The description said there was a little brassing on the bottom of the baseplate but it wasn't easy to see in the pictures and the red paint seems intact too. I'm not really good with grading razors to be honest, so I'll just post a picture. :)

red_tip.jpg

Guess I should have held onto my British Red Tip SS, but it didn't suit my shaving preferences. Sold it to a fellow forum member, Rusty Shaver. ps, have you repainted it yet?
160601210913_3396 d.jpg

160601210850_3396 b.jpg

I don’t know. I just jump on any bandwagon going. I’m quite simple minded in that way. :)

I would think the internal TTO mechanism is better engineered, as it is said to be for ordinary English Flare Tips and Rocket Flare Tips. Apart from that, I really don’t know.

Some say there is a difference in aggression between the US and UK versions. Would have to have both and measure blade gaps to be sure.

I was fortunate enough to buy a Red Tip Rocket from the member above (thanks again David!) I have a U.S. Red Tip, an English SS and the Red Tip Rocket. Love them all. The Rocket is definitely the most aggressive and the U.S. the least. I have to say though that I don't really prefer one over the other- they're all great in their own way. The Rocket is heavier (weight) and the U.S. is the smoothest of the bunch. I just keep rotating and enjoy the difference. I've been focused on the English SS lately and am liking its mid-range effect. I've included a pic of the trifecta below:

Left to Right: U.S. A-4 Super Speed, English Super Speed and English Rocket

red tips.jpg

Some say there is a difference in aggression between the US and UK versions. Would have to have both and measure blade gaps to be sure.

I can say for sure doing a side by side test that the red tip Rocket does a better job of shaving you closer than the American red tip. It also handled my trouble spots on the face better which is under the nose and jawbone. The English red tip and rocket seem to be pretty evenly matched. Technically the American red tip is more aggressive while the Rocket is more efficient. The English red tip is somewhere in between even though it performs at as best I can tell the same level as a red tip Rocket.

Top Bottom