What's new

When you fly and do not check luggage, what's your razor?

I usually check luggage when I travel as my wife always does and I will have to stand around waiting for her anyways. If I don’t, I still put my Dopp bag in her baggage.

If I go away for a night or two on business, I bring a few of the cheap BIC single blade disposables. They are about $3/10 on Amazon and give a nice shave. I also bring a synth brush and a small puck or tube of soap though. Being able to make a nice lather gives me something to do in the hotel room.

pre-Covid I used drugstore disposables, no brush, and a small tube of shave cream (typically Keihls). That was also pre-B&B before I knew about the existence of tiny brushes and shave sticks. So likely will be using a travel brush and shave stick in the future. Traveling for business will mean using a cartridge since I strongly prefer carry-on only. Traveling for fun will be different, my wife refuses to travel even for a day without items that require checked luggage, so I will be able to strip a straight razor into her bag.

Your razor is not going to get confiscated, I take my Timeless Ti, for soap just make sure you take a hard soap, razor blades what I do is order some from Amazon and have them delivered at my destination. I took MDC last time, and any brush I want to especially if carry on, really hard for it to get lost.

When I travel by air, it's cartridge all the way because I avoid checking bags like the plague. I don't worry about things getting confiscated or lost, but I have no desire to chase down shaving supplies when I'm either on business or on vacation. I have other things to do with my time.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used to use a Trac II for carry-on until the Guard came out. The one bladed Guard feels more like DE shaving. I never get a really close shave with either one. But they do the job. I often take a beater Tech or NEW LC. If you’re concerned about FSA getting curious about your DE razor, even though there are no blades, I just take it apart and put the pieces in the dop bag. They will never see the familiar razor profile, and never question it. I often just pick up blades at the destination if the mood strikes me.

That's gonna get into a grey area with the TSA that they may not be trained for. They've been trained in the guidelines between straight, safety and cartridge so they'll recognize it as a safety and follow the rules there. The cap on that sure LOOKS like it could be removed and I wonder how secure it really is? If they spot it, it's gonna be a tough sell to convince them to let you keep it.

OTOH, with only a super-slim blade and everything else being plastic it'll be awfully hard to spot in a jumble of other stuff when they x-ray your bag....

Last time I flew, I brought a Gillette good news disposable. I made sure to get the one sans lube strip. I hate that strip. I also hate rubber beard lifting fins. As plain as possible for me.

I take this :001_smile:

proxy.php

I take a Gillette SuperSpeed in my pocket with no blades. When I get to TSA the razor is open exposing no blade and I put it in the little tray with my wristwatch and keys. The agents seem to appreciate me doing this. Boar Brush and Palmolive Soap stick or an old Arko that lost its scent.

Last edited by a moderator:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With carry-on luggage only, I pack a generic Chinese stainless steel shavette, always without a blade. I use to take it out so that security could check it. Once I left in in my luggage and it went straight through x-ray without being picked up. Since then I have left it packed and it has not yet been picked up for checking.

Last edited:
Gillette Fusion5 handle and cartridge, and travel-size can of Foamy shaving cream. One cartridge is good for at least five shaves on my face. It shaves very close and easily, but is not fun and great-smelling like my DE razors, blades, soaps, and brushes.

Funny, I flew to Hawaii with the family in 2017 (I think it was 2017). I flew to Oahu, then from Oahu to the big Island, then back to Oahu. On the return flight (I had to fly home before my family and go back to work) I flew to SLC Utah, then home. My hygiene kit flew carry on the whole way with a parker razor and a tuck of blades. No one ever said anything until the last leg. In SLC on the return trip, I had a couple hour layover so I went outside of security to smoke. Upon coming back in, they opened my bag and made me remove the blade from my razor, along with confiscating the last spare I had left in the tuck. They lectured me a bit and I apologized profusely (it truly was a mistake out of ignorance), in the end it was no harm no foul.

Prior to that, I hadn´t flown non-military in over 10 years. Military flights don´t count. Rifles, bayonets, knives, etc. were carried on. When flying civilian contracted flights they always lectured that we couldn´t carry a knife, even though we all had rifles. That lecture fell on deaf ears as everyone kept their knife on their person, and we were never checked.

I keep a small razor (mostly a 34C) in my pocket. I hand it to the security dude so he can examine it and check there’s no blade in it. That way they don’t have to see it on the x-ray and pull my handbag to the side. When I get to where I’m going I buy whatever blades they have in a drugstore. One word of caution: don’t bring an alum block. They don’t know what it is and they will examine it forever.

Hi,

I try to not fly commercially. I read NTSB reports. :p

When I must, I have an old Mach 3 cartridge razor. And a mini brush. And I use the 'facial' soap in the hotel room as shaving soap. And I leave the Lubriderm lotion I use at home by way of AS and just use the lotion provided in the hotel room.

I've used that Mach 3 for so long, the rubber gave up the ghost and got all sticky. So, I removed it and have a funky looking all metal variant. ;)

Most of the time my travels are by ground. I need a large selection of electronic equipment usually. So, I load up a one-ton dually diesel truck and wheel it wherever I have to go. So, then I can cart along whatever I want and leave the shaving carts home. ;)

So, I only fly in the event the job happens to have all the equipment I might need at the far end. Which is rare. Sometimes, the US Air Force is my carrier and that's OK by me. They don't have an issue with a ton of checked equipment.

Plus, I'm just as happy. I read NTSB reports. :p

Stan

Top Bottom