What's new

When you fly and do not check luggage, what's your razor?

I rarely think of things like that. I have nearly been in a pickle twice tha I can think of over my pocket knife. One time in an airport and one time in a court house. YOU CAN"T HAVE THAT IN HERE! Can't I just put it in the little black box when I go through the detector? NO! READ THE DOOR! NO KNIVES ALLOWED! Sheesh, there are 15 signs at the door. NO I did not stand in the door way and read them all. Farm boy. Do not know big city ways. My applologies.

So far, when flying I have just purchased a razor when at the destination. Like 3 times in my life, I think. From now on, I will be looking this thread over and figuring out a DE or shavette option. Perhaps asking the airline ahead of time as well to avoid embarassingly irritating security agents

So far, when flying I have just purchased a razor when at the destination. Like 3 times in my life, I think. From now on, I will be looking this thread over and figuring out a DE or shavette option. Perhaps asking the airline ahead of time as well to avoid embarassingly irritating security agents

Don't consult the airline, consult the TSA. They're actually quite helpful, and you can even send a picture of your razor to them via Facebook or Twitter and they'll tell you specifically. I think they have a hotline you can call as well:

TSA blog post addressing vintage DE razors specifically. Also covers soaps, creams and lotions:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
TSA blog post addressing vintage DE razors specifically. Also covers soaps, creams and lotions:

There you go; Game. Set. Match.

Now granted, I'm probably still not going to pack my Wolfman, Charcoal Goods, or a British Aristocrat, but I'd certainly feel fine packing one of my vintage $5 Techs ;)

Last edited:
no problem with my carts in carry-on for short trips!

travel set aos truefitt hill opus unscented august 9 2014s.jpg

Interesting to read the perspectives here. I'll be flying with Gillette Proglides for sure. That's the cartridge I used before I started wet shaving with a DE. It's just not worth bringing anything I am sentimental or care about when traveling.

I use a vintage Trac II whether flying or driving, and whether baggage is checked or if it's a carry on. It's a terrific shaver. If I'm staying in one place for several weeks or months I might leave my Classic 1 synthetic brush at home and take something a bit more substantial, but no matter how long I'm away from home the Trac II razor is just fine.

Mostly this, but always with carry on bags. Sometimes I'll take a less precious DE when driving or checking bags.

Once upon a time I accumulated a ton of air miles. I evolved into a ‘one bag’ (carry on only) traveler.

My small shaving kit includes an inexpensive razor if I am to be in one place for awhile. I either purchase blades on location or mail a few to my hotel. If I was flying to multiple locations, then I bring a cart.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Once upon a time I accumulated a ton of air miles. I evolved into a ‘one bag’ (carry on only) traveler.

My small shaving kit includes an inexpensive razor if I am to be in one place for awhile. I either purchase blades on location or mail a few to my hotel. If I was flying to multiple locations, then I bring a cart.

Was on a plane every week pre-COVID. DE all the way. Mailing or locally purchasing blades works remarkably well. :)

+1 to what @BigJ said. :)

My last flight was very short - I flew to Belfast from Edinburgh in late 2019. I had only carry on luggage and brought a Gillette Guard, a half-used shave stick and a cheap synth brush. Perfectly acceptable for me.

Either a Gillette Sensor or the Rite Aid Mach 3 knockoff. I prefer the Sensor, but was able to score some blades for cheap with the Mach 3 knockoff and the blades last forever.

Sensor Excel for short trips with only carry-on or if I'm going through TSA inspections.

With a checked bag, or if I'm driving, I take a small but full dopp bag.

On vacation I am resigned to carts; to my surprise I did have a jar of shaving soap confiscated.
I had stirling confiscated once, it really surprised me. The weirdest part is that it was confiscated on the way back, I had already gotten it to the destination in my carry on luggage.

Top Bottom