What's new

When YMMV is Absolutely Appropriate

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
YMMV

A cop out to be sure. Rather like stating something you think or feel is only your opinion. It goes without saying. In most cases that is all it is. You didn't conduct any sort of objective tests with true measurments, etc. You said something like "the face feel is phenomenal"

In the past I have been impaired enough to go off such "strong" recommendations, but no more. These days I tend to take a recommendation of "this is great" with the same weight as a party hound telling me "jaggermeister is great". If I have read a bunch of your posts over time and feel like I know you, I give you more weight, if not I don't. That is just the way it is. I don't mean to offend newbs and by newbs I mean genuine new shavers here or long time residents that are new "newb" to me.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have quite a few Spyderco knives.... and a couple of Buck knives as well. The nice thing is, you don't have to choose. You can own and enjoy both. My every day carry is a Spyderco Native 5, spear point:

SypderCoNative.jpg
SypderCoNative2.jpg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Walking onto what should be thick ice…

I used to use “YMMV” (your mileage may vary) for 3 reasons:
  1. External Factors: In my drinking days, a bottle of wine could be exceptional one night and marginal the next. I came to realize that the menu, company, and my mood played big roles in my critique of the wine.
  2. Individual Tastes: I like cilantro and anise, but only in moderation. Masterpiece Theater over Marvel. Pitching duals over slugfests. I am no better than other men. Worse than most. Tastes are neither right or wrong, just unique to the individual.
  3. Unintended Consequences: Too glowing a review could cause a B&B brother to part with hard earned cash only to be disappointed. Too harsh a review and a nascent soap maker could lose clients.
Then I discovered some brothers really despise “YMMV.” It also hit me that shaving acronyms are uninviting for anyone new to the hobby. I’ve since dropped this acronym and spell out most others in the initial use.

1EFFDE45-0884-48E6-9456-473D5621F742.jpeg

I'll take my 40 year old 505 Buck over a Spyderco any day.
To each his own. 🙂

Just the other day I wound up using my Spyderco Pacific Salt to debone some chicken legs. I'm probably one of the few people to use a pocket knife to debone chicken. 😁

To think, I initially bought the knife for use in the surf and for surf fishing. While it definitely excels there*, I've also found it works well for other purposes.

*Spyderco is the only mass producer of saltwater proof knives I know. The Salt series of knives are fantastic! That said, if you get a H1 blade, make sure you get a serrated (Spyderedge) one.

In a recent whining thread (I'm not sure that was the official title) there was much consternation about YMMV. So to avoid any waffling, digressive prattle or meandering uncertainty allow me to state unequivocally that you were wrong to do so - no YMMV allowed.

You post about a problem with poor shaves using a razor I don't own and a blade I find too dull. I can tell you flat out your blade is too dull, but I have yet to watch you shave, or run my hand lovingly ATG on your stubble. So are your whiskers as thick as mine? Is your technique the same as mine? Is your lather good? So I say that that particular blade is too dull for me, but it might be fine for you (ymmv). And I say this because I often see blades on other shaver's 5 favorite blade lists that I've found too dull for me.

I tried a sample (thank heavens) of a popular cologne that gets plenty of rave reviews here. On me, to my nose, it smelled like a 4 day old corps which had been rolled around in rotting fruit and left out in the sun to bake. Was it my metabolism or just my nose? I don't know, but it was definitely a YMMV scent for me.

Have you ever had a blade that worked great in one razor and considerably less well in another? What's the "truth" about that blade you're going to recommend? YMMV depending on razor.

We share our experiences here, politely and with a strong desire to be of some help to another shaver. It's a great place, but all we can offer is what worked or didn't work for us. I don't recall YMMV being used as a substitute for offering an opinion. I usually see it used along the lines of this worked for me on my face with my razor and my technique, but you'll have to experiment on your hair with your razor and your technique. Big countries are invading little countries, global warming, IPA's with too bitter a finish - there are problems left to solve, but YMMV isn't one of them.

So go shave. Or skip a day - YMMV.

I didn't see this until one month after it started. I have to say, well stated...excellent post!!! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom