What's new

When will this DE blade get dull?

Only 9 shaves? Yes, unusual.

+1! The Excalibur guys are remarkable!! This is one of the GREAT B&B threads!! :a29:

You have entered the "buttery phase." Just keep using the blade until it no longer cuts as efficiently as you like. It could easily take over 100 shaves. May as well go for it. You are almost there. The first 10 or so are the hardest.
Gary, what do you mean by "buttery phase?" I want my blades to be solid and sharp, not almost liquid!

Gary, what do you mean by "buttery phase?" I want my blades to be solid and sharp, not almost liquid!
There is a phase where the blades feel like a butter knife but cut just as well or better than when they were new. It generally comes after about 10 to 20 shaves on an edge. YMMV.

Doubters don't believe it until it happens to them.

Maintenance/cleaning of razors and blades has played a part in recommendations for frequent blade changes. Typically DE and SE razors are easy to rinse and clean whereas some multi-blade cartridges can almost require a pressure washer to clean satisfactorily. Since we have progressed(?) from straight razors to safety razors to multi-blade razors and now for many back to the earlier razors, some advice though well meaning has transferred as people transition to different systems. Those that grew up on multi-blade systems generally apply too much pressure when first trying DE and SE razors. That's a learned habit just as replacing blades are a learned habit from another system. Let the blade tell you when it is time.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Typically DE and SE razors are easy to rinse and clean whereas some multi-blade cartridges can almost require a pressure washer to clean satisfactorily.

You're not wrong there. After the third shave on a multi-blade cartridge, I found them pretty much unusable, largely due to all the hair and crud jammed in between the blades. In comparison, a mid-range blade (SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium) just did it's 23rd shave for me today. Much better shaves, much longer life, much less waste, much lower cost.

There is a phase where the blades feel like a butter knife but cut just as well or better than when they were new. It generally comes after about 10 to 20 shaves on an edge. YMMV.

Doubters don't believe it until it happens to them.

I've heard about that theory before that after an X amount of shaves the blades somehow get better and better. I'm sure there's a truth behind this, but my only issue is that I have to endure a lot of meh, bad or perhaps terrible shaves before I get to that phase and honestly I don't think I can do it. I don't think i've ever used a blade more than 6 times and the shave probably wasn't great at all. Ever since i've decided to stop at 3 shaves, things have improved a bit.

I'm a real cheapskate and trust me, if there was a way to use the same blade for 10 or even 100 shaves like some folks claim they get, I would do it without a second though and not only am I going to brag about it, but I would make fun at everyone who throws his blades after just a couple of shaves.

Replace your blade whenever if will no longer give a great shave. Some people use a new blade for every shave. Some people can use the same blade for several days, several weeks, or a few months. I have a coarse beard that needs a very sharp blade and is very hard on the edge. I can get about 3-4 shaves from most blades. The exception is Feather blades. I can only get about two good shaves from them before they start to irritate my sensitive skin. Feather edges are super sharp, but they deteriorate quickly for many people.

Nobody other than you can determine when the blade should be changed. Just because some people can use a blade for 100 shaves does not mean that you should. When the blade becomes too dull to cut cleanly or the blade starts to feel rough on your skin, it is time to change it.

If you are getting nicks or irritation, that usually means your shaving technique is in need of improving. With a Parker Variant on a mild setting, let the weight of the razor do the cutting. The shape of the Variant head makes it easy to shave "off the cap" with minimal pressure. That should allow you to get a close shave without nicks or irritation.

Focus on your shaving technique for now, but you might also consider upgading your shaving lather. Doing so can make a real difference in the quality of your shave. Check out some of the shaving soap threads for advice on what to try.

Replace your blade whenever if will no longer give a great shave. Some people use a new blade for every shave. Some people can use the same blade for several days, several weeks, or a few months. I have a coarse beard that needs a very sharp blade and is very hard on the edge. I can get about 3-4 shaves from most blades. The exception is Feather blades. I can only get about two good shaves from them before they start to irritate my sensitive skin. Feather edges are super sharp, but they deteriorate quickly for many people.

Nobody other than you can determine when the blade should be changed. Just because some people can use a blade for 100 shaves does not mean that you should. When the blade becomes too dull to cut cleanly or the blade starts to feel rough on your skin, it is time to change it.

If you are getting nicks or irritation, that usually means your shaving technique is in need of improving. With a Parker Variant on a mild setting, let the weight of the razor do the cutting. The shape of the Variant head makes it easy to shave "off the cap" with minimal pressure. That should allow you to get a close shave without nicks or irritation.

Focus on your shaving technique for now, but you might also consider upgading your shaving lather. Doing so can make a real difference in the quality of your shave. Check out some of the shaving soap threads for advice on what to try.
Here's a report on the progress of my shaves.

I'm using a Parker Variant which I got a few weeks ago. I'm on the second blade, a Wilkinson Sword. I've used it 14 times. My goals are: close shave, and minimal or no bleeding. There's been no blood for the last 3 shaves and the shaves are smooth and close. I even dialed it up from 1 to 2 on the last shave! I'm pleased with these shaves.

I want to shave now with a Merkur 38C. After all, I bought the goddamned thing! I'm curious.

Upgrading shaving lather will take a while. I would need to get a brush as well as soap, and that costs money. $30.00 - $50.00 is a lot for a retired person living on fixed income.

Thanks for all these posts!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Upgrading shaving lather will take a while. I would need to get a brush as well as soap, and that costs money. $30.00 - $50.00 is a lot for a retired person living on fixed income.

I live on limited funds too, and my supplies have built up gradually, and partially due to the generosity of fellow members here.

Next month though, I will be going brush free. There's an April Frugal Follies Challenge, and all I will be using for the whole month are these items.

20220323_170643.jpg

Razor and blades cost £5 today (though I bought that razor years ago, when they were even cheaper). Soap cost £2, and aftershave cost of £3. £10 total for the lot.

I'll rub that soap stick on my wet face, lather with wet fingertips, and shave. There'll probably be enough residual slickness for a second pass, without needing more soap. I'm unlikely to need more than one blade to see me through the month.

When I shaved every other day, I tossed a blade after two shaves. Retired, since Covid, and now shaving once a week, I toss blades after every shave. It's not worth risking a bad shave by overusing a blade. Having been married over 50 years, I can almost guarantee that our wives don't factor cost into their facial products, and I'm ok with that.

I'm using a Kai SS extra wide blade I can usually get 10 shaves because they have better quality steel I figure.
I use the same type of blades and I also think they have a better steel and sharpening. I also continue to use them as long as the sharpening is smooth. When the blade sticks or cuts me slightly, I change it. I usually use it for about a week but I am sure that I have sometimes used the same blade for many weeks. I do not count the shaves, if I ever enjoy the pleasure of shaving .... but this pleasure has lasted for many years thanks to this forum and its precious helps! Thanks and Happy Easter to all!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use the same type of blades and I also think they have a better steel and sharpening. I also continue to use them as long as the sharpening is smooth. When the blade sticks or cuts me slightly, I change it. I usually use it for about a week but I am sure that I have sometimes used the same blade for many weeks. I do not count the shaves, if I ever enjoy the pleasure of shaving .... but this pleasure has lasted for many years thanks to this forum and its precious helps! Thanks and Happy Easter to all!
I have to agree with what you have mentioned and this blade costs more but it has great longevity with good performance is what I have discovered with about 100 shaves or 2 tucks of 5pcs and that is good for myself. Great blade in milder razors also because the blade is wider by 9/1000 of a inch or 4.5" per side gives a better blade feel.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom