What's new

When wearing a suit, where do you put your pen?

Where do you put your pen?

• outside breast jacket pocket

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Inside left jacket pocket

Votes: 36 73.5%
  • Shirt pocket

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Doesnt matter

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
My apologies if this has being asked before but, I wear suits for church and special occasions often and I am new to this pen hobby so, what is the proper/apropiate way to sport a pen on a suit? I have seen quiet often guys carrying their pens on the outside breast pocket of the jacket but I’ve also heard thats a big no no, others on their shirt pocket, but not all shirts have such pocket, and finally the inside left jacket pocket which is in my calculated guess the best place, also by observing some of the jackets seem to have a special pen pocket right beside/below such pocket, very interested on your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Inside pocket(s) - sometimes one, sometimes both depending on how many I carry. Usually one in a shirt pocket. For something more formal where I would only have one or two, then no to the shirt pocket. Inside jacket pocket, pen pocket if the jacket has one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Inside pocket(s) - sometimes one, sometimes both depending on how many I carry. Usually one in a shirt pocket. For something more formal where I would only have one or two, then no to the shirt pocket. Inside jacket pocket, pen pocket if the jacket has one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same.

I have ticked the inside left jacket pocket, actually its the right one for me.

Pens in shirt pockets or in an outside jacket pocket are too nerdy, just one stage removed from having three different Bic ballpoints, red, blue and black.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
At work, shirt pocket. Outside of work (formal or semi-formal occasions), inside left jacket pocket.

Inside left jacket pocket - usually two pens. Some of my jackets have a one-pen pocket on the left side. If I have my jacket off, the two pens go in my shirt pocket.

Is there no fear of a pen leaking, sounds like an accident waiting to happen but i have no first hand experience in the matter.

Sounds like @Rusty Blade has the right idea.
dave

[I have ruined enough shirts over the years. If I carry a pen its in a little folding brief case, which means I am signing something otherwise. dont carry.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you are right-handed, inside left coat pocket

Left inside jacket pocket as I am right-handed.

Ah, here I disagree.

I am left-handed. The pen goes in the LEFT inside jacket pocket. When I reach for it, I reach with the right hand ... which pulls the pen out of the pocket holding it by the cap. Then my right hand can continue holding the cap while my left hand then extracts the body of the pen from the cap for immediate use.

Ah, here I disagree.

I am left-handed. The pen goes in the LEFT inside jacket pocket. When I reach for it, I reach with the right hand ... which pulls the pen out of the pocket holding it by the cap. Then my right hand can continue holding the cap while my left hand then extracts the body of the pen from the cap for immediate use.

If it were a retractable pen would you still use the left pocket?
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If it were a retractable pen would you still use the left pocket?
dave

A Vanishing Point ... yes. The clip is at the nib end, so ... remove pen from pocket by holding nib end, and other (writing) hand grasps pen to hold, click, and write.

proxy.php

Ah, here I disagree.

My pen doesn't have a cap(!)

Top Bottom