What's new

When was the last time that Gillette manufactured a double edged razor?

I am curious about this... when was it that Gillette last made a DE razor? My guess would be the mid or possibly even late 1980s. Maybe they continued to make them for foreign markets even after cartridges were introduced. I just remember that you never saw one in a drug store by about 1989.

I wonder if Gillette still make these, or if they're made by someone else for Gillette?

My girlfriend tells me they still commonly use DE razors in her home country (Slovakia), I assume it's because the blades are considerably cheaper to replace than cartridge razors. She tells me her dad still uses one and had never changed to a mach3 etc.

Iwan said:
She tells me her dad still uses one and had never changed to a mach3 etc.

My dad also... He used cheap chinese one, and now he has a Gillette Slim Handle Adjustable. A fat boy too, but it's too heavy to use, he says..

Nenad

rustyblade said:
Heck, they still have slim twists at my corner convenience store. Covered in 15 years of dust, mind you.

Really? I recall seeing some vintage injector blades at a semi-local (well, about 50 Km away) convenience store last fall... these were also covered in many years worth of dust. Have you tried these dusty ol' razors, Richard?

NMMB said:
Really? I recall seeing some vintage injector blades at a semi-local (well, about 50 Km away) convenience store last fall... these were also covered in many years worth of dust. Have you tried these dusty ol' razors, Richard?

The inner shave geek says "buy them!" (I think they were about $6 each), but realistically, I don't need them. They are not a very good razor, apparently.

I went to a convenience store about 5 years ago that sold Olympic souvenirs from the Montreal Olympics! I'm sure Convenience stores that change owners rapidly have stock they don't even know they have.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just bought these two today.

I just stumbled across this news release at the Proctor & Gambol Website. Can we read anything into it?

The Biggest Gillette Blades & Razors Operations Facility in the World Opens in Poland

On June 6,2006, P&G along with national and local government officials, opened the Gillette Lódz Manufacturing Center (LMC) in the city of Lódz, Poland.

The facility, which occupies an area of 92,600 square meters, is the largest Gillette blades and razors operations facility in the world and will produce 1.5 billion units annually. It will employ approximately 2000 people when fully operational by the end of the year, making it one of the largest employers in Lódz.

The new world-class facility, a total investment of € 120 million, comprises of a production building, a packaging unit and a warehouse. The manufacturing unit will produce cartridges for several shaving systems as well as disposable razors. The packaging unit will be managed by a third party and will package products manufactured in Europe as well as selected global locations. The warehouse, also managed by a third party, will distribute the packaged goods to retail customers in Poland, throughout Europe, in the Middle East and Africa.

The Gillette Lódz Manufacturing Center is Procter & Gamble's second major manufacturing and packaging facility in Poland. Since 1994, the Company has been operating a Pampers baby diapers factory in Warsaw - the third largest P&G Pampers factory in the world - which employs over 600 people.

"The Lódz facility joins the P&G factory and campus in Warsaw - demonstrating our belief in and commitment to this country and this region...We are proud of these achievements and look forward to future co-operation that benefits all parties in new and better ways every day." - said Werner Geissler, P&G Group President, CEEMEA.

Lesson # 1: Cartridges and Diapers have many things in common. They are ugly, expensive, stink, have to be thrown away quickly, AND are made in the same country.

Lesson # 2: Gillette is continuing its quest for world domination. As we know, DE shaving is still, probably for cost reasons, still much more common in other parts of the world. This increased capacity should help as they gradually push poor third-world men with much better uses for what little money they have from spending on DE blades and housing to cartridges and homelessness.

My father bought one of those gillette's above at wallmart after getting sick of the high cost of mach 3 blades. That was a couple years ago, probably in the late 90's. I read at safetyrazors.net that gillette made safety razors until 1998. I think this info probably correct because I haven't seen any of them for sale since the late 90's. I guess that when gillette launched the mach 3 they turned the horrible altra into their budget razor and had no need for the DE to remain in their line

Top Bottom