What's new

When was the Feather AS-D1 introduced?

I've been researching the origins of the "modern" DE razor, and I remember when Weber, Pils, Tradere, iKon and Feather introduced their razors around 2008.

If I recall correctly, it was Feather's AS-D1 that started it all, but I don't remember when it was first introduced.

Any help from those with better memories than I?

I don't consider the Vision 2000 and Merkur Futur (1986) to be part of the modern razor movement, as they occupy an in-between time between what people generally recognize as modern and vintage razor designs.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't know about the AS-D1, but do recall the wave of SS machined razors beginning after the late Cooncat Bob brought out his line - his machined SS handle paired with a replated NEW head .. seems that was the Rat's Behind I joined here in early 2009. My Cooncat Bob Bull Mastiff was purchased in August 2010 for example .. ATT followed early on I think, not sure when I tried the others but my recollection is they were followers. I don't recall the Feather being the first one .. and my search skills aren't that hot but don't return much earlier dates

All right. I think I have them all sorted out now.

Pils was the first, in 2010 (mfd in Germany)
Weber in 2011 (mfd in Canada)
iKon in 2011 (mfd ???)
Feather followed in late 2011 or early 2012 (mim process, Japan)
Tradere in Summer 2012 was the first to be mfd in U.S.
Followed by ATT a few months later.

I joined in 2012, but lurked here for about 3 years prior. Started wet shaving seriously in 2009.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
All right. I think I have them all sorted out now.

Pils was the first, in 2010 (mfd in Germany)
Weber in 2011 (mfd in Canada)
iKon in 2011 (mfd ???)
Feather followed in late 2011 or early 2012 (mim process, Japan)
Tradere in Summer 2012 was the first to be mfd in U.S.
Followed by ATT a few months later.

I joined in 2012, but lurked here for about 3 years prior. Started wet shaving seriously in 2009.

I have also done some research on this, and found that pils is indeed the first to completely process the whole razor in a modern way. In turn, the industry has gradually moved into a new direction.

And found that PILS has appeared at least in "2009".
↓Some German forums have had many discussions about PILS razors in 2009.
Der Pils-Hobel

I have also done some research on this, and found that pils is indeed the first to completely process the whole razor in a modern way. In turn, the industry has gradually moved into a new direction.

And found that PILS has appeared at least in "2009".
↓Some German forums have had many discussions about PILS razors in 2009.
Der Pils-Hobel
Wow. 452€ in 2009 for the razor, stand, and brush!

The same set now would set you back 780€ today. I now remember why I never planned on purchasing one.

Well that, and the rust spotting issues the first run or two had. That went away after they started passivating their razors, but I remember a few very irate threads about the issue.

ERS4

Wow. 452€ in 2009 for the razor, stand, and brush!

The same set now would set you back 780€ today. I now remember why I never planned on purchasing one.

Well that, and the rust spotting issues the first run or two had. That went away after they started passivating their razors, but I remember a few very irate threads about the issue.
So a few years ago I only purchased PILS 101NE alone, excluding other additional options; the total cost in my impression is about 300USD (including transportation).
Still expensive by today's standards, but less crazy than ROCNEL or WOLFMAN....

I haven't had a rust issue with my PILS, but I do find that the closed head design tends to keep moisture inside, so the metal may not be the total cause; and "galvanic corrosion" was rarely discussed over a decade ago point of view, may also lead to blame the blade problem on the razor.

But in any case, the design of PILS is still very unique even today, only PILS can be played like this↓

So a few years ago I only purchased PILS 101NE alone, excluding other additional options; the total cost in my impression is about 300USD (including transportation).
Still expensive by today's standards, but less crazy than ROCNEL or WOLFMAN....

I haven't had a rust issue with my PILS, but I do find that the closed head design tends to keep moisture inside, so the metal may not be the total cause; and "galvanic corrosion" was rarely discussed over a decade ago point of view, may also lead to blame the blade problem on the razor.

But in any case, the design of PILS is still very unique even today, only PILS can be played like this↓
It was metal remnants from the machine tools leaving little bits of themselves in the metal that was the issue, not the razor material itself.

Edit: that video was pretty badass. Almost makes me want to get one.

ERS4

It was metal remnants from the machine tools leaving little bits of themselves in the metal that was the issue, not the razor material itself.

Edit: that video was pretty badass. Almost makes me want to get one.
This way I can understand.
It is true that processing tools are often made of high carbon steel.
I was also bought my PILS because that evil video.:blushing:

That's right, one more part to add
Some members in B&B mentioned that their FEATHER AS-D1 was purchased in 2010.

This way I can understand.
It is true that processing tools are often made of high carbon steel.
I was also bought my PILS because that evil video.:blushing:

That's right, one more part to add
Some members in B&B mentioned that their FEATHER AS-D1 was purchased in 2010.
I remember it was some years later that people collectively lost their minds when they found out the Feather razor was metal injection molded and not fully machined.

ERS4

I remember it was some years later that people collectively lost their minds when they found out the Feather razor was metal injection molded and not fully machined.
Angry people confused MIM with casting. Because there was limited information about it at the time.

I'm actually glad FEATHER uses MIM technology.
MIM is different from traditional casting, but a new concept, even more like baking.
The finished product is also more refined and stronger, and it is even used in car engine parts, which can resist frequent vibrations.

I personally think that for the shaving industry, FEATHER's introduction of MIM technology is a more subversive conceptual revolution than CNC. Although it has attracted fewer followers than CNC.

I still have my Weber Polished and an Above the Tie M1.

Both of those really started bringing new high quality razors into more realistic price points. You almost never see either for sale. It seems people tried any variant of vintage Gillette, Merkur or one of those and that was it for RAD back then. Don’t see many of the older names from back in the day. As a hobby things were pretty limited so you could easily say you “tried everything” and move on.

The original Weber thread still exist. People forget what their first razor was an open comb.

I still have my Weber Polished and an Above the Tie M1.

Both of those really started bringing new high quality razors into more realistic price points. You almost never see either for sale. It seems people tried any variant of vintage Gillette, Merkur or one of those and that was it for RAD back then. Don’t see many of the older names from back in the day. As a hobby things were pretty limited so you could easily say you “tried everything” and move on.

The original Weber thread still exist. People forget what their first razor was an open comb.
Well that definitely moves Weber to 2010. I think most people consider the initial run to be prototypes and not production razors, which is why the claim for Tradere being the "first" US made stainless razor exists. Erroneously, in my opinion.

ERS4

I'm sure "first US made stainless razor" is an overhyped marketing slogan for Tradere.

At least the Travalong and Olaf Rasmussen prep razors that appeared towards the end of World War II were US made full stainless steel razor, although they were not modern CNC machined.

Last edited:
I can't really speak to the order at which some of the razors above were introduced, but I think you have the overall timeframe down (2008-2010 range). Zamak was still pretty common for some of the newer razors, like Muhle's offerings.

I'm sure "first US made stainless razor" is an overhyped marketing slogan for Tradere.

At least the Travalong and Olaf Rasmussen prep razors that appeared towards the end of World War II were US made full stainless steel razor, although they were not modern CNC machined.
So were the Vietnam era Wrecks, now that I think about it.
I can't really speak to the order at which some of the razors above were introduced, but I think you have the overall timeframe down (2008-2010 range). Zamak was still pretty common for some of the newer razors, like Muhle's offerings.
Yeah, the R-41 comes to mind as being introduced a few years prior, and Mühle and Merker teamed up to redesign the heads on some of their other razors around this time period, making for much improved razors.

Zamak razors have been with us for nearly a century, and will probably still be around a century from now. It's my least favorite razor manufacturing material. Prone to corrosion wherever the plating is compromised, and so very brittle.

Mühle and Merker teamed up to redesign the heads on some of their other razors around this time period
Edwin Jagger but simple mistake. It is interesting to see how everything led up to create the wetshaving culture we have.

1990 Muhle goes back to the original owners family after the Berlin Wall falls.
1997 Amazon IPO announced. Internet shopping becomes a mainstream thing. Other markets like eBay and Craigslist pop up where people can easily find used items or items from foreign markets.
1998 Gillette Mach 3, much joking about the need for three blades
2005 Badger and Blade founded
2006 Gillette introduces the “fusion” becoming the butt of jokes and creating an anti shaving movement. Between the price and idea it seems ridiculous for many.
2007 Muhle teams up with Edwin Jagger to develop their new razor. Imagine Merkur becoming more popular at this time and Muhle’s other shaving products getting attention after people seek alternatives.
2008 Recession, spending $4 on a razor cartridge seems crazier
~2010 more Artisan razor makers show up.

Top Bottom