What's new

When to replace shavette blade?

How many shaves do you get before you replace your shavette blade? What are the tell tale signs it's time to replace the blade? Thank you in advance.

I suppose it would depend on the blade and your beard but...I use derby extra and replace every 2 to 3 shaves, replacing when it isn't gliding smoothly and comfortably.

I use the Feather super pros & get roughly around 8 shaves per blade on average but I change blades prematurely. Just go by feel, when it starts to pull a bit more than usual change blades..the more you use it the more you will get the feel of what we mean

M

member 119848

I use Feathers (Artist Club), and get 10 to 15 shaves with them.

I think it is compariable to a DE or SE razor. I have not tried to use my DE shavette on consecutive days enough times to establish a good baseline.

With Feather AC I can get 2 weeks and usually 3 weeks or more. The blade loses some of its initial keenness after a few shaves but I find that it continues to give many good shaves afterwards. I change the blade when I realize that I am starting to use too much pressure relative to a new blade.

The sign for me that I need to either change the blade on a shavette or hone my straight is irritation or difficulty getting the hair on the edge of my chin cleanly. They are the toughest hairs for me and if a blade is not optimum I will need to make multiple passes and pressure in this area. If a blade is nice a sharp I just glide over and hair is gone!
Best rule for me though. When in doubt, change it out!

Top Bottom