What's new

When to get a Slant?

Hello
I am just wondering at what point is one ready to start using a slant razor. Several posts and threads here recommend that it takes a period of time for one to be experienced enough to handle a slant. They are not for noobs.
Unfortunately there is no mention of criteria as to what is meant by being experienced enough.

I personally think the slant is over rated, in my experience they shave the same as the HD.
I would say look for a used one and sell it if you don't like it.

There are no real criteria I guess but some DE experience helps.

Do you want one; get one and try.

Do you need one; probably not since you asked....:biggrin:

Don't expect miracles, it is just another razor that some guys like and some just don't get the rave..

No time like the present. I shaved with a cheap Gillette for less than a month before I made the plunge to the Slant.

I needed something that would cut and slice easily through my thick whiskers and the Slant fits that bill.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Having just got and used one, I can say that it certainly takes a little getting used to.
It's the first and only Merkur I have ever used.
It may be the same shave as an HD, if so - I'd say the HD takes a little getting used to also.
It certainly worked well for me, though for whatever reason, I did get a nick on the upper lip and chin, something I never do with any other razor I have.
Another reason I think it is so popular is that it just looks mean.
Get one and try it. If you don't like it I have no doubt you can sell it within 5 minutes on the BST, they don't last long there.

Its bark is worse than its bite. I did not find it to be a difficult skill to acquire, but I also did not find it to be a much different shave.

I just got a new slant, and I'm 2 shaves into it. I really didn't change anything nor was I unusually cautious and no nicks, cuts, weepers or even irritation. I thought it shaved quite well, but I didn't quite see where it gained the reputation of being a blood thirsty razor that requires a certain amount of experience. If anything, it shaved a lot like my other Merkurs, but perhaps a bit smoother.

I agree with the others. If you think it's something you want to try, go for it. If it's not for you, you should have no problem selling it here.

Yesterday is the perfect day to get one! I do understand that not everyone likes them, or can even notice a difference, but I get less neck irritation and a closer shave with fewer passes. On second thought, today or tomorrow would also be perfect day to get one! :lol:

I have one, used it a few times, but was never sold. Conversely, my brother stole it out of my bathroom and did his inaugural DE shave w it and has ever since.

Different strokes.....

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I personally think the slant is over rated, in my experience they shave the same as the HD.
I would say look for a used one and sell it if you don't like it.

+2

If you think you're ready go for it. Only advice, no pressure, take your time!

R

rainman

The shave will be similiar to your HD after the "getting over it" period.

If your technique is good with your current razor, your ready. I really enjoying using mine, especially if I've developed substantial growth, (missed a day shaving). It would make an excellent 2nd razor. Just remember to use little to no presure and very slowly at first!

Hello
I am just wondering at what point is one ready to start using a slant razor. Several posts and threads here recommend that it takes a period of time for one to be experienced enough to handle a slant. They are not for noobs.
Unfortunately there is no mention of criteria as to what is meant by being experienced enough.

Have you tried a Rake Edge razor such as the Merkur HD Rake Edge version? I think they are a LOT more aggressive than a slant as there is no safety bar between the blade edge and the skin. I held a Slant Bar razor myself and I didn't see any real benefit over a normal safety bar razor.

Have you tried a Rake Edge razor such as the Merkur HD Rake Edge version? I think they are a LOT more aggressive than a slant as there is no safety bar between the blade edge and the skin. I held a Slant Bar razor myself and I didn't see any real benefit over a normal safety bar razor.

I use a 39C.
My first razor was a Gillette SS mainly because of nostalgia; I used one in college.
Problem was the shave wasn't close enough so I moved up to a Schick Korona.
Then I got the Merkur and noticed a much smoother shave.
I was basing my assumptions on what I read in other threads.
BTW my slant is on the way in the mail.

Top Bottom