What's new

When the goal is NOT to conceal:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Haven’t seen that since you bought it. EOtech on top, is that an XPS-3? I like the switch pad for the light. :)

Very nice!

It's a EXPS-2. I thought about the 3 when I purchased it, but I couldn't see myself ever stocking up on night vision gear.

Even though the top of the handgaurd is rounded and not flat, the zip ties I have to secure the pad are snug and keep it in place. That way I can still activate it when shooting right or left handed. Granted, when shooting left handed I have to wrap my hand around the light, but it's not a problem for my hands and posture. I'm still considering getting a 45° light mount, which would position the light a little tighter to the center of the rifle, but what I have is perfectly adequate for me. I also have a sling for it that I haven't put back on since the last time I cleaned it, but I don't really see a need for the sling in a home defense scenario.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's a EXPS-2. I thought about the 3 when I purchased it, but I couldn't see myself ever stocking up on night vision gear.

Even though the top of the handgaurd is rounded and not flat, the zip ties I have to secure the pad are snug and keep it in place. That way I can still activate it when shooting right or left handed. Granted, when shooting left handed I have to wrap my hand around the light, but it's not a problem for my hands and posture. I'm still considering getting a 45° light mount, which would position the light a little tighter to the center of the rifle, but what I have is perfectly adequate for me. I also have a sling for it that I haven't put back on since the last time I cleaned it, but I don't really see a need for the sling in a home defense scenario.

I hear ya about the night vision. I think I would rather have a thermal scope and not a red dot I would need NV goggles for. :)

MagPul makes a little polymer 45° mount with M-Lok that would be perfect for your forearm handguard. It's like less than $20 and it would probably put your light in the perfect position where you want it, which would be higher and tighter to the stock and the light bezel just in front of your A2 front sight for a full beam with no ghosting.

The sling is the most important piece of gear for a person wielding an AR for any type of scenario, including home defense. please trust me, I'm an old man with ageing eyes and really like my red dot and 3X magnification. But if i had to choose to keep just one thing on my rifle and everything else Plain Jane?

I'd throw my Eotech, 3X magnifier and Magpul Buis in the trash and keep my sling. It's that important if you need it. My old eyes can still use the irons. But if and when I am in need of that rifle to save my life or others, and my rifle jams? Or runs out of ammo? And I need to quickly transition to my pistol? Or I am holding someone at rifle point and need a free hand? Or I need to jump a fence or wall and can sling it over my back? Or I need to drag an injured loved one? Or I need to wrap that sling around my left elbow in order to tighten and support the rifle into my shoulder for a more stead, stable, accurate and possibly a only one chance shot?

Other than the bullets you are throwing out, the sling is and can be the most useful accessory on your rifle. If you don't need it for a specific scenario, then it's all good, cuz it's still hanging right there when you do. But if you do come to need it? And it's not hanging there for you to use?

I would only attempt to interfere, cuz you are good people and a good friend. Please put your sling back on your rifle my friend. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Preach it @OkieStubble! I must admit I have yet to figure out the best sling option for my .300 BO "pistol", but all my other battle rifles are so equipped.

There are many single point and two point slings of different brands that all work great.

I personally like to rock out with a MagPul MS2 or MS3. Because they both easily and quickly can convert to and between single point and 2 point, which of both I like to carry in. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I will cautiously dissent, re: slings/home defense. Don't want one. With my luck, it would snag on something in the dark.

Slings are indispensable in the field for service personnel and hunters (two different kinds of course). But in HD, you're not going far, and not likely to drop or lose.

Ironically, I really like lanyards on pistols and knives but not for retention. Fingers just find them first.

AA

OkieStubble

I will cautiously dissent, re: slings/home defense. Don't want one. With my luck, it would snag on something in the dark.

Slings are indispensable in the field for service personnel and hunters (two different kinds of course). But in HD, you're not going far, and not likely to drop or lose.

Ironically, I really like lanyards on pistols and knives but not for retention. Fingers just find them first.

AA

I don't rely on good or bad luck, for things that are in my control. But I know I can count on bad luck for the things which are not in my control. :)

I can happily concede, that your "typical" home defense scenario, isn't your "typical" in the field scenario. However,
(I love that word "however.") :) But the sling on a rifle, isn't for the "typical" HD or even the "typical" in field scenario.

The "rifle sling" Mike, is for when "the typical" turns "untypical" Webster's Dictionary says: Untypical means "not typical" I would even attempt to suggest, the rifle sling is for even and especially, "the Atypical."

The definition for an "Atypical scenario" is; "suprisingly or shockingly unusual" or "not conforming to the usual type." Atypical is also a noun, with the meaning: "An atypical antipsychotic." Atypical can also be used as an adjective, which literally means; "Unusual or Irregular."

Personally, I like to always hope for the best, but be absolutely, totally prepared for the worst. This means, if I use my AR for "home defense" OR "in the field," I realize, my rifle sling "could" hang up on a door knob, or piece of furniture in an HD situation. I also realize, my rifle sling, could hang up on a vehicle bumper, or tree or some other thing in an in the field situation.

However, While I hope for the best that the HD and in the field situations would be of the "Typical Brand" and type, I am also always prepared in my training and equipment for the worst "Non-Typical or Atypical situation" that Murphy could bring my way. Which would be, snagging my belt in HD or in the field. And we know, Murphy always likes to show up at the worst times and experiences of our lives right?

Those worst times is probably going to be, during an HD or In The Field situation. So, Instead of me not using my sling, for the rare instance my rifle sling which is properly and correctly across my back and chest tight enough to keep my rifle close to my body the way it's supposed to be, I'd rather prepare to have the sling in case I need to pick up my child and run them to a different room in an HD scenario; and still be able to maintain and secure my rifle with the sling, while my hands are free to do whatever I need to do.

My luck, the day I only prepare for the typical single person to kick in my back door in the middle of the night, and grab my rifle without a sling? My luck, it will be 3 armed guys, with two coming in the back door and another coming in thru a window and that sling will help me keep one hand on the rifle and the other possibly on a cell phone, screaming to 911 to "please help me!" ??? I may need a free hand to flip on a light? Close a door? Lock a door? Open a door? Grab a loved one by the arm who is in the bed fast asleep and quickly and abruptly, wake them up and drag them to another room by the arm, because there wasn't enough time to politely wake them up and ask them nicely?

Are all these things, "atypical" and not likely "to happen" in an HD/Home Invasion scenario by multiple actors? Because if they are, I guess we don't really need to plan for those things?

The only compromise I can see of not wanting to use a sling for the rifle for these type of unseen things that can and will happen? Is to not use a long gun in the first place and take a pistol instead. This way, there is absolutely no doubt, you can "not plan" for the "Atypical" or unusual, or worst scenario, and still have a free hand if you need it. :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I don't rely on good or bad luck, for things that are in my control. But I know I can count on bad luck for the things which are not in my control. :)

I can happily concede, that your "typical" home defense scenario, isn't your "typical" in the field scenario. However,
(I love that word "however.") :) But the sling on a rifle, isn't for the "typical" HD or even the "typical" in field scenario.

The "rifle sling" Mike, is for when "the typical" turns "untypical" Webster's Dictionary says: Untypical means "not typical" I would even attempt to suggest, the rifle sling is for even and especially, "the Atypical."

The definition for an "Atypical scenario" is; "suprisingly or shockingly unusual" or "not conforming to the usual type." Atypical is also a noun, with the meaning: "An atypical antipsychotic." Atypical can also be used as an adjective, which literally means; "Unusual or Irregular."

Personally, I like to always hope for the best, but be absolutely, totally prepared for the worst. This means, if I use my AR for "home defense" OR "in the field," I realize, my rifle sling "could" hang up on a door knob, or piece of furniture in an HD situation. I also realize, my rifle sling, could hang up on a vehicle bumper, or tree or some other thing in an in the field situation.

However, While I hope for the best that the HD and in the field situations would be of the "Typical Brand" and type, I am also always prepared in my training and equipment for the worst "Non-Typical or Atypical situation" that Murphy could bring my way. Which would be, snagging my belt in HD or in the field. And we know, Murphy always likes to show up at the worst times and experiences of our lives right?

Those worst times is probably going to be, during an HD or In The Field situation. So, Instead of me not using my sling, for the rare instance my rifle sling which is properly and correctly across my back and chest tight enough to keep my rifle close to my body the way it's supposed to be, I'd rather prepare to have the sling in case I need to pick up my child and run them to a different room in an HD scenario; and still be able to maintain and secure my rifle with the sling, while my hands are free to do whatever I need to do.

My luck, the day I only prepare for the typical single person to kick in my back door in the middle of the night, and grab my rifle without a sling? My luck, it will be 3 armed guys, with two coming in the back door and another coming in thru a window and that sling will help me keep one hand on the rifle and the other possibly on a cell phone, screaming to 911 to "please help me!" ??? I may need a free hand to flip on a light? Close a door? Lock a door? Open a door? Grab a loved one by the arm who is in the bed fast asleep and quickly and abruptly, wake them up and drag them to another room by the arm, because there wasn't enough time to politely wake them up and ask them nicely?

Are all these things, "atypical" and not likely "to happen" in an HD/Home Invasion scenario by multiple actors? Because if they are, I guess we don't really need to plan for those things?

The only compromise I can see of not wanting to use a sling for the rifle for these type of unseen things that can and will happen? Is to not use a long gun in the first place and take a pistol instead. This way, there is absolutely no doubt, you can "not plan" for the "Atypical" or unusual, or worst scenario, and still have a free hand if you need it. :)

I knew it would be good! :punk:

Many thanks; once again you have thought things through farther than me!

There is a Zen lesson in readiness between those lines. The situation "I" planned for, will surely not be the situation the adversary presents.

I did try a single-point on a short shottie, but it wasn't quite right.

Anyway. Spent the day cranking out .38 Special reloads in a 93-degree garage. So when the zombie mob attacks... I can reach for the 7.62mm. :cornut: One is never really prepared for what actually happens!

AA

OkieStubble

I knew it would be good! :punk:

Many thanks; once again you have thought things through farther than me!

There is a Zen lesson in readiness between those lines. The situation "I" planned for, will surely not be the situation the adversary presents.

I did try a single-point on a short shottie, but it wasn't quite right.

Anyway. Spent the day cranking out .38 Special reloads in a 93-degree garage. So when the zombie mob attacks... I can reach for the 7.62mm. :cornut: One is never really prepared for what actually happens!

AA

No truer words were ever spoken.

You are definitely a badass. :)

Last edited:
First thing that came to mind when reading the title of the post...

arnold_not-concealed.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I would only attempt to interfere, cuz you are good people and a good friend. Please put your sling back on your rifle my friend. :)

I hear you. I just get a little lazy sometime, and tried to find a way to justify it. Lol Thanks for talking some sense into me. The sling's back on now. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@OkieStubble , I think AA was just pulling your chain!

As in "Let's see what we can get Rob to teach us today!" :kyle1:

That WAS awesome, was it not? (But I would never make anybody work on their day off!)

The best teaching is spontaneous like that. We are all fortunate to be listeners here at a truly good campfire!

And many thanks, Rob.

AA

OkieStubble

That WAS awesome, was it not? (But I would never make anybody work on their day off!)

The best teaching is spontaneous like that. We are all fortunate to be listeners here at a truly good campfire!

And many thanks, Rob.

AA

Is there such a thing as a day off?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I will concede to having a sling on a K98 ... An '03 Springfield, of course ... Enfield No.4 has a strap, rather than adjustable sling but works very well ... May even have the rubberized canvas sling on an Arisaka.

AA

Top Bottom