What's new

When showering : do you wash with your hands or a washcloth?

When showering : do you wash with your hands or a washcloth?

• Hands

• Washcloth

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use washcloths..and by washcloths I mean actual washcloths you store in the closet/cabinet with your matching towels and you use 1 every day and toss it in the laundry hamper after showering. I buy thick, slightly rough washcloths for better exfoliating. I just couldn't imagine only using my hands, if I don't use something "rough" to really scrub I develop "crusty" areas of dead skin that I end up having to scrub vigorously with a loofah to remove in a month or so...I know...gross lol. Also..when washing with your hand, how do you wash your butt..just soap up your hand and jam it in your crack? Just sounds nasty to me..

Last edited:
[...] Also..when washing with your hand, how do you wash your butt..just soap up your hand and jam it in your crack? Just sounds nasty to me..

+1000000000000000000000000000000000
One of the questions I had for people using their hands but did not dare ask on this forum :)

Darn - I voted hands before I read the thread. I primarily use a luffa/loofa (sp?) as i generally stick to liquid soaps like Dr. Bronners and such

I use washcloths..and by washcloths I mean actual washcloths you store in the closet/cabinet with your matching towels and you use 1 every day and toss it in the hamper after showering to be washed. I buy thick, slightly rough washcloths for better exfoliating. I just couldn't imagine only using my hands, if I don't use something "rough" to really scrub I develop "crusty" areas of dead skin that I end up having to scrub vigorously with a loofah to remove in a month or so...I know...gross lol. Also..when washing with your hand, how do you wash your butt..just soap up your hand and jam it in your crack? Just sounds nasty to me..

If I were to use washcloths, I would have to use a new one everyday. Using my soapy hand to wash my butt crack (are we really having this discussion?) doesn't strike me as gross or dirty, as I use wet wipes to finish my, um, business. I'm quite clean, thank you. Also, since I will be continuing to shower, my hand will be washed over and over before I finish my shower. OTOH, rinsing out the washcloth, hanging to dry and using it again the next day, sort of creeps me out. But I have no good reason for that--it's just my issue.

If I were to use washcloths, I would have to use a new one everyday. Using my soapy hand to wash my butt crack (are we really having this discussion?) doesn't strike me as gross or dirty, as I use wet wipes to finish my, um, business. I'm quite clean, thank you. Also, since I will be continuing to shower, my hand will be washed over and over before I finish my shower. OTOH, rinsing out the washcloth, hanging to dry and using it again the next day, sort of creeps me out. But I have no good reason for that--it's just my issue.

I was just curious..I use a different one every day, I have about 20 washcloths and about the same number of bath towels. I wash/launder my towels and cloths each week and have done so all my adult life, my mother did the same when I was growing up and I suppose it just passed on to me as the "norm". I just found the act of using your hands odd...but I suppose to one who has used their hands all their life think using a cloth is odd. Now, using the same cloth over and over again without laundering it is a whole other story. :scared:

unless it is rinsed really really well I would guess that a washcloth may retain germs or in some way be unclean if used more than once.

Agreed! I use my hands most of the time but I do use a wash cloth once or twice a week. When I do use a wash cloth I use it once and throw it in the the laundry. No matter how much I rinse I can't forget that I just cleaned my junk with this thing!

Also..when washing with your hand, how do you wash your butt..just soap up your hand and jam it in your crack? Just sounds nasty to me..

No more nasty than using a washcloth up there that you need to use elsewhere. A cloth that is more absorbent and harder to clean thoroughly than your hand. I use a wash cloth some days and other days I use just the soap and my hand to shower. But I never use the cloth where the sun don't shine. To me I think that's just nasty. Which makes Hotels scary.

But overall I don't think it matters how you shower. If you're filthy you may need a cloth but for everyday showering a washcloth (or other) or hand both work. When I work on something and my hands get very dirty and/or greasy I just wash them in the sink with soap and water. I may have to wash longer than normal but they come clean. What's the difference in th shower?

I used to use a poof, but I use my hands now. I read somewhere that the soap I use (Dudu Osun) works better when applied with the hands. I doubt that, but I kind of like just using my hands now.

No more nasty than using a washcloth up there that you need to use elsewhere. A cloth that is more absorbent and harder to clean thoroughly than your hand. I use a wash cloth some days and other days I use just the soap and my hand to shower. But I never use the cloth where the sun don't shine. To me I think that's just nasty. Which makes Hotels scary.

I used to have a bath set. Both the washcloth and soap bar were 50/50 white and brown.... top/bottom for the soap, and half and half for the washcloth.

Embossed on the appropriate sides of the soap and embroidered on the appropriate halves of the towel? "Butt" "Face" :biggrin:

Look, this is all secondary to the first rule of showering. Start high and wash your face and head first then work downward, not the other way around. As long as you follow this guidance, you are fine

Top Bottom