What's new

When should you try the sharpest blade, the FEATHER?

I am reading good things and bad things about feather.
But I only started DE shaving about a month ago and I barely have my technique down yet.

Is it wise to keep using the mild ones and work my way up slowly to sharper ones?
Anyone tried using feather or equivalent when they just started DE shaving and had good experience?

that was pretty early on! Seems like with feathers, it's either a love or hate.
I guess there's only one way to find out. I might try after I finish 5 blades of astra sp and polsilver.
Some say polsilver is just as sharp (maybe tad less) but much more comfortable to shave with than feather.

I first tried a Feather about two months in. I put it in a Gillette Slim and it scared me away from Feathers for about a year.

I only tried it again, a year later, after I had gone through a half-dozen other brands in my Merkur Slant. This time, it was like a match made in heaven. Since then, the Feather and Slant have been in a monogamous relationship. No other blades go in my Slant, and no other razor gets to use Feathers.

Bear in mind that the Feather is a very finicky blade. It works great in some DE razors, and will provide mediocre to disastrous results in others. You have to do a fair amount of experimenting before you find the right combo, and of course, not everyone is going to agree on which razor gives the Feather its best performance. But once you make the match, the Feather really shines. There's nothing else like it.

Just used them today, with Muhle R106 (DE89 head). Started DE shaving for about a month too. Used Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Derby, Bic Astor, Wilkinson Sword before trying Feathers. To be honest, i wish i would have tried them earlier. The shave was not as aggressive as some people let me think it would be. It was actually very smooth, i felt the blade being actually milder than some others, like Wilkinson Swords. The sharpness removed the hair easily, and not the skin, as i would have expected.

I'm anxious for my tomorrow shave with them. If it will go as smooth as today, they will surely become my to-go blades.

I'm 4 months in and still haven't tried feather.
I'm trying out the "cheaper" and common blades first (wasn't the original goal to save $ ? )

Give it a shot - but just be careful. Yes, the blade is sharp but you can get nicks and cuts from a dull blade, too. Just keep a light touch and correct angle and you should be OK.

if you have them, you should use them tomorrow. Yes, they are sharp, but few shavers experience fatalities from using them. They are the preferred blade of many shavers, and although some think they are only good for 2 shaves before discarding, others get a week of shaves from them. when I used DEs, they were the best blade for me, and I think it is a little over-the-top to "warn" people about them. Use less pressure to begin with, and see what works. You can pick up a couple from tryablade.com with cheap shipping.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Whenever you feel like it; If apprehensive, just go WTG first and see how you like it. They are a favorite of mine.

It's very hard to tell. I use Personna med preps as a rule. They're clearly the best in my Merkur Futur and Mergress. But my Vision2000 does better with a Feather.

When ever you want, it's just blood.

Anyone with a reasonable decent technique can shave with a Feather, in my opinion.

Whether they like the blade is an entirely different matter ... nothing as personal as razor blades.

But the whole "mind the Feather" hoopla is way over the top ... it's just a razor blade.

But the whole "mind the Feather" hoopla is way over the top ... it's just a razor blade.
You're saying that all the candles I light, the dark robe I put on and all the verses I chant before loading a Feather into my razor have all been for nothing?

Feather was my second blade, and changed to it about two weeks into my shaving quest. No problems at all. Pop one in right now and see what happens.

a lot more "yay go for it" than I expected.
I guess after all, feather isn't something that we should fear.
man I am tempted to try one soon!
I will try as soon as I finish using my ASTRA blades. I have OCD and I just can't stop using in the middle of a pack :)

a lot more "yay go for it" than I expected.
I guess after all, feather isn't something that we should fear.
man I am tempted to try one soon!
I will try as soon as I finish using my ASTRA blades. I have OCD and I just can't stop using in the middle of a pack :)
Try the Feathers before you finish up those Astras. If it doesn't work for you, you'll have something to fall back on.

You'r ready. Load up a Feather and have at it. Feathers are not to be feared, just respected.

+1
The Feather is a good quality sharp blade period.
The blades to fear are the poor quality dull cheap blades they are the ones that will make one weep.

I must have somewhere between 1500 and 2000 DE shaves under my belt. Never tried a feather. Don't know as I ever will. Most blades I've ever tried is too sharp out of the box to begin with, and don't feel right until the 2nd shave, so the reported sharpness of the feather makes it less interesting, not more. Anyway, the first shave is really the only rite-of-passage. The rest are just shaves.

Top Bottom