What's new

When should a hat come off?

At our church contemporary (or casual) service many ppl wear jeans including me, even the pastor. During hot months many of the congregation wear shorts. A couple weeks ago someone I know well happened to sit in front of me with his baseball cap on. When it was clear it wasn't coming off, I leaned forward and pushed up the back of his hat and told him to take it off. My actions were not appreciated. :001_huh:
Sue

It sounds like you may be friends with this guy and I'm sorry but any man who sits in a Christian church and doesn't take his hat off should be left to sit there and look like the total jackass that he's making of himself. I'm not overly religious but come on.

G

gone down south

If you're one of the few people left who wear proper hats, do go ahead and take it off inside.

Ballcaps are in a different category, they're considered casual clothing now. If you have no problems wearing jeans and a t-shirt somewhere, then a ballcap is appropriate wear(places of religion excepted, of course.) Rules and standards change over time, and unless you're still wearing a shoulders to knees bathing suit to the beach or black tie to dinner your stance about hats indoors doesn't have me convinced! :tongue:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you're one of the few people left who wear proper hats, do go ahead and take it off inside.

Ballcaps are in a different category, they're considered casual clothing now. If you have no problems wearing jeans and a t-shirt somewhere, then a ballcap is appropriate wear(places of religion excepted, of course.) Rules and standards change over time, and unless you're still wearing a shoulders to knees bathing suit to the beach or black tie to dinner your stance about hats indoors doesn't have me convinced! :tongue:

Aha!! But I do!!

No, wait - That's black tie to the beach, and shoulder to knee swimsuit to dinner.

Nevermind

Certain hats have always been casual clothing. Different hats fit different dress. Hats come off indoors, including ball caps, and if you think different then that just makes you a clod.

Wearing hats at the table is just as rude as chewing with your mouth open.

Wearing hats at the table is just as rude as chewing with your mouth open.

Agree, anyway one of these days i was at a wedding and the protocol staff said it was OK to wear hats at table because the lunch was served at the garden under a harsh 2 PM sun and no shade in sight.:tongue_sm

G

gone down south

Certain hats have always been casual clothing. Different hats fit different dress. Hats come off indoors, including ball caps, and if you think different then that just makes you a clod.
\\

Let's agree to disagree :cool:

What exactly is it that makes wearing a hat at a table or in a pub rude? Is the rudeness of the act inherent? No. It's just that the people who wrote the rules for society deemed it so. Those rules are now changing, and I don't see anything particularly wrong with that. It's not deplorable, it's just different than what you were used to.

As far as I see it, if it's a nicer restaurant or bar where you are expected to dress up, then the hats should go. If it's a casual restaurant or pub where jeans and a t-shirt are perfectly acceptable attire, I see no problem wearing a ball cap the entire time. It just goes with the laid-back atmosphere of the establishment.

If I'm wearing a hat at all, it's because something is seriously wrong with my hair and that hat isn't coming off my head for anything.

It DOES, however, burn me when people don't take off their hats for the National Anthem at a sporting event. I don't know if these people just aren't paying attention, or if they just don't care.

Very interesting thread. I can't be alone in my observation that in some, usually rural, parts of the country, men of different ages wear baseball style hats in bars, restaurants, and in all kinds of large and small stores. I know I sometimes do. Now, despite this practice, I've never seen a man wearing a hat through a service in church.

There are a lot of sites with info on hat etiquette. Hat wearing is so infrequent these days that few men or women under 60 remember it.

Basically, that I can tell, ubitquitous baseball caps, and "hipsters" wearing stingy brim fedoras have sort killed the notion of EVER taking the hat off.

I wear fedoras often, and sometimes homburgs. I always take it off indoors in an office, a home, a restaurant.

In my car, in stores, hallways, I leave it on. Once at work, I would not put it on to walk from my office to another office in a different section of building.

In elevators, I always take it off IF a woman is on the elevator. It sometimes gets a chuckle (but it does get noticed).

Top Bottom