What's new

When should a hat come off?

I'm not much of a hat guy beyond ball caps but I'm forever fascinated by ettiquette. I see a lot of guys wearing hats indoors and I just know my Dad and Grandfather probably wouldn't have done that but I don't know for sure. Are there certain times when hats can be worn indoors? I guess this may be an evolving thing anyway with the ball cap explosion of the last few decades. Thanks.

Maybe if it is raining and the roof is leaking really bad. Otherwise, "Take your hat off and stay awhile" as the adults used to tell me when I forgot to remove mine.

Only times I've known wearing a hat indoors is ok, is when "Under Arms", in the army/navy/Airforce etc. The US navy I think is the same? When armed you wear your "cover" at all times.

Tom

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Only times I've known wearing a hat indoors is ok, is when "Under Arms", in the army/navy/Airforce etc. The US navy I think is the same? When armed you wear your "cover" at all times.

Tom

+1

Also acceptable in public places (such as Train Stations, shopping centers etc - but not places of service, such as pubs or restaurants).

I believe that elevator is also a source of contention. I have heard that it is a public place- an extension of the lobby.... I was impressed to see that they discussed this in detail in this article

Last edited:
Never wear a hat - even a ball cap - at table.

Not in a restaurant, not at home, and NEVER EVER EVER at MY table.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see this question raised. In my opinion, the wearing of hats at times and in places where I was taught it was impolite to do so is just one more example of the degradation of common courtesy and civility in contemporary society. But, I was taught that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors. I was even taught to tip my hat when passing a place of worship. I did allow myself an exception last night - I kept my Phillies cap on while watching the game at a local pub for superstitious reasons. I'm sure no one thought I was violating ettiquette - unfortunately.

On a side note regarding this topic. The fact that hats were ominpresent up till the maybe the middle of the 20th century people must have just put up with scorching cases of "hat head". I guess if everyone has it then no one stood out but I'm sure if I constantly wore a hat and took it off often I would be pretty self concious about my ring around the head.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see this question raised. In my opinion, the wearing of hats at times and in places where I was taught it was impolite to do so is just one more example of the degradation of common courtesy and civility in contemporary society. But, I was taught that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors. I was even taught to tip my hat when passing a place of worship. I did allow myself an exception last night - I kept my Phillies cap on while watching the game at a local pub for superstitious reasons. I'm sure no one thought I was violating ettiquette - unfortunately.

I remove mine and stand still head bowed for Funerals, if they pass me (I also turn off my radio if I pass them in traffic...), strange thing I was taught.....

Tom

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
While a bit dated it was customary for Friends (Quakers) to wear their hat indoors during meeting but it was removed when another Friend's was standing to read scripture aloud. While there are few 'plain" Quakers now days (those who would still wear a hat) it would still be the custom.

Tony

In regards to elevator, I believe the proper etiquette is to remove them. Because the elevator is such intimate space, it's a lot more personal than let's say the lobby of the building. But I guess if it's really crowded, it would be okay to have it on.

I wear my hat (Fedora) as soon as I step out the door, on the walk to the BART (Bay Area transportation), and while I'm sitting on the BART. Once I get to the office, I usually take it off to greet our receptionist and then I'll keep it off until the end of the day.

Also, another etiquette tidbit (covered in that article) and a bit of commonsense is to remove your hat during the national anthem and place it over your heart so that the inside is not exposed.

I am really heartened to see a discussion of hat etiquette taking place. I too have noticed and deplored the increasing deterioration of general politeness and civility in everyday life here in the USA and elsewhere on the planet. I have recently taken to a one-man campaign to return to a more civil and respectful mode of behavior, and my hat etiquette is only one part of it.

A few weeks ago I was at a business lunch. One of the participants, the manager of our local TV station, came in after the rest of us were already seated. I saw her entering the room and stood up. This is something I was taught by my grandfather, but I confess to having forgotten my manners somewhat for quite a long time.

Well, the lady entering the room looked a little surprised, but pleasantly so. When I sat, the other two ladies at the table looked plumb tickled. And I felt just plain glad. It's such a simple thing to be courteous.

In our small town it's more common than not to say 'hi' to people you pass on the street. I've taken to touching the brim of my hat when I greet passing ladies. I get some odd looks, particularly from women in their 20s or teens, but those of a certain age and above are, I believe, pleasantly flattered. Reminded of a more civil time.

And I am beginning to seriously regard myself as a gentleman. Just like Grampa was.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the practicality of the hat etiquette I must confess. For instance, I'm leaving for the grocery store in five minutes. I have a hat on. Do I,

A. Leave my hat in the car.
B. Take it in with me and walk around in the store with it in my hand.
or
C. Wear it in the store.

I know the answer can't be C but it's just not easy to walk around with a hat in your hand when you're doing something like shopping for a few items.

Agreed, I would wear it in the store. I wouldn't attempt to tip my hat to every lady I see, only the ones that I recognize or knew. However, if a female stranger makes eye contact with me and smiles, I would probably tip my hat then.

I wear my hat in the store. I take it off if I'm speaking to a lady or a lady or a seasoned citizen speaks to me. I'd tip or touch the brim if I was excusing myself to get past a woman, or if she asked the same of me.

I would wear my hat in an elevator...it's a common area. If a lady comes in the elevator, or is in the elevator when I enter, it comes off.

as far as im concerned, the hat is there to cover the head, so if youre outside wear the hat, but once youre inside (and the roof is covering) take it off

Top Bottom