What's new

When Sanding a Blade with W/D, Use it Dry or Wet?

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I've beeen using it dry and I keep getting like, scuffs, that seem much coarser than the grit on the paper. I think it's from the paper getting loaded up. Seems more pronounced with more pressure. Should I be doing this wet?

I use it dry and have no issues, whenever the paper gets a build I will remove as much as possible, and proceed to sand again afterwards. Seems to work for me, I find it hard to gauge the work and progress I'm doing when it's wet.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Wet and dry sandpaper is designed to be used wet so as to wash away the build-up that is being sanded. That being said, W&D sandpaper can also be used dry, if the build-up and cost is of no concern.

If using W&D to hone a SR, build-up would be a concern to me so I would use it wet with running water to wash away the build-up. When using W&D to lap whetstones, I also use it wet do as to wash away the build-up.

Wet and dry paper was designed to be used wet or dry - hence the name. Adding lube; water, oil, etc, helps minimize the depth of the scratches on the material being sanded, and the wear on the paper. Using it dry will allow faster cutting. This week I had to take a ton of oxidation off an old weightlifting bar - 220 w/d used dry helped me cut through the grime fairly quickly. Using it wet afterwards gave me a finer finish. Sorta like having multiple grits in one paper. I do the same with razors... 220x is the coarsest w/d I keep on hand, I don't like 150x. So I'll use 220x dry first and wet second. If I really want to bring up the shine I'll use an oil type lube after sanding with water but I'm usually not that motivated.

Reactions: CCR
Top Bottom